New Baby Beardie Will Not Eat

Status
Not open for further replies.

angelinahinkle

I just got my first beardie two days ago, and she will not eat crickets or the veggies or fruits I have tried to feed her. The first time I put a few crickets in her terrarium on the day I got her, she ate one right away, but has not since eaten any. I have tried to hand feed them to her in her cage and out of her cage. I have also attempted to feed her cut baby carrots, banana, and romaine lettuce, by hand and leaving them in her cage. She is very energetic outside of her terrarium, but once I put her back in, she usually stays put for the most part. When she crawls on me she will stick her tongue out like she is trying to eat something, so I do believe she is hungry. I know she is stressed from being put in a different home, because she has stress marks on her chin and stomach, but I heard they are supposed to eat 12 to 25 crickets a day. What should I do?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Ange....can you post a few pics of the set up and list the exact type + brand of lights you're using ?

She is probably still stressed, they don't always eat right away and may be stressed for a week or so. The veg. + fruit you offered aren't all that good for beardies. Try greens like turnip, mustard, endive, dandelion.

A trick to get babies to eat crickets is to put a few in a jar [ with a pinch of calcium powder ] shake them until they're stunned/dizzy and then drop 2-3 right near her in the tank. Babies usually will go for the weak, slow moving crickets. Just be SURE that the bugs are smaller than the space between her eyes, otherwise she may have a very hard time digesting them and can even become impacted.

mushulife

My baby beardie did not eat at all (except for one cricket that he ate immediately after I fed it to him) for the first few days, and he ate very little until I had for for about a week and 2 days. I have read it is normal for them to act like this when you first get them. I wouldn't be worried just yet. However, if your beardie still hasn't eaten at all past the third day I would try another type of food. For some reason my bearded dragon hated crickets and ate very few. I got him Dubia Roaches last week and he absolutely loves them! :D He eats a ton. Plus they are better than crickets nutrition wise I have read, and crickets can potentially hurt your beardie by chewing on their skin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom