4 days no poop

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
So, pretty sure it's been about 4 days. He hasn't eaten a ton of food, so I'm not freaking out quite yet. But what else can I do to help him? I've given him 2 baths a day for the past couple days, in about 93-94 degrees, rubbed his tummy. Gave him ONLY greens for breakfast... advice???

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. How old is he? My adults sometimes only go once twice a week. It's normal for older dragons not to go all the time. Babies go more often.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
At 8 months old, I think it has a lot to do with all of the excitement of the last few weeks,(camping and, new viv) this is all relative. I think he will be fine, give him time.

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
Original Poster
How do you know about camping and new viv? :)
Should i continue feeding bugs? Or stick with just veggies till he poops?

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Iloverex":3py86479 said:
How do you know about camping and new viv? :)
Should i continue feeding bugs? Or stick with just veggies till he poops?
I have read your other posts?????
Ya, sticking with veggies will keep him hydrated and, makes the upcoming event a bit easier! A few bugs won't hurt but only a few at a time.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Gormagon":1yjfyckx said:
At 8 months old, I think it has a lot to do with all of the excitement of the last few weeks,(camping and, new viv) this is all relative. I think he will be fine, give him time.

4 days between pooes is not an issue worth worrying about see viewtopic.php?f=6&t=232446
Now if she goes for 7 days, I start intervening then
<< doses of 0.4ml olive oil
<< maybe a warm soak in the bath with tummy rubs

My advise for an 8 month old beardie (still growing fast at 8 months old) is TWO live insect meals per day , as many as she wants each meal.... offer greens and salad but make sure she gets mostly insect protein in her diet as she needs it to grow and develop properly , along with dietary calcium and plenty of UVB.'

Reduce to ONE live insect meal per day at 1 year old , offer greens and salad after she has had her bugs. Still got a lot of growing to do at 1 yr old, her growth wont taper off until she's about 2 years old and IMO she needs one meal of bugs per day til them , and either smaller meals of bugs per day + greens each day from then or a big bug meal every other day or so + daily greens and veg from then.

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
Original Poster
That's is exactly the diet I give him. By the way, HE DID POOP YESTERDAY! (Tuesday). But he didn't eat anything after He pooped. Only have him 3 supers in the morning and two more about an hour before he pooped. (Appx 1pm)

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Iloverex":2luerzp1 said:
That's is exactly the diet I give him. By the way, HE DID POOP YESTERDAY! (Tuesday). But he didn't eat anything after He pooped. Only have him 3 supers in the morning and two more about an hour before he pooped. (Appx 1pm)

Think the problem is SUPERWORMS, they have a very hard to digest exoskeleton . I don't offer superworms to my gang until they are 12 months old.

My vet told me several years ago that mealworms and superworms are not suitable for beardies under 12 months old BECAUSE
>>> they have a kink in their gut when they are younger than 12 months old which is like a bottleneck and very easily blocked by hard to digest exoskeleton.
>>> they are too high in fat (4x the fat content of crickets)
>>> they are too poor in calcium ( their Ca/P is 3x poor than that of crickets )

silkworms1.gif

Even for adult bearded dragons , superworms (marios) are good only as treats , definitely not a good insect to use as a staple feeder.

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Well I've heard so much mixed info, good, not good, etc. He stopped eating roaches so I don't know what else to give him

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
Original Poster
So should I only give greens, and attempt to feed roaches, and go with the idea that he'll eat when he's hungry?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Iloverex":141vw2nm said:
So should I only give greens,
<<<< NO ! .... greens are only a small part of his required diet at his age (8 months) .

and attempt to feed roaches, and go with the idea that he'll eat when he's hungry?

Have tried assist / hand feeding the bugs to him .... they sometimes get very lazy and this is one way to make sure beardie gets his ration of bugs every day , great way to bond with beardie too.

If he wont eat roaches, try silkworms and crickets / locusts, even Repashi GRUBPIE if he refuses all insects, but my experience is very few lizards can resist yummy silkworms !!

Suitable size silkworms for him are between 1 inch and 2 inch long.

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Ok, starting to get concerned. As I mentioned, he did poop, so that's all set. But since the poop, he's eaten little. I came home on lunch (noon) and he was in his cave (shoot, was he on it Or in it?) Well, either way, he's on the cool side. He didn't eat. Though I didn't offer supers (cuz now I'm paranoid) and he's not been eating roaches. He was in cave at 5pm and still wouldn't eat roaches. Offered three waxies just to see if he'd eat, he did, so I guess that's a plus. We don't have much variety in the area. So I'll have to get something new online, which obviously could take about a week. My wife was able to score a few horn worms and a dozen butter worms from a few towns over, so ill try that in the AM. Hopefully he eats. I'm wondering (and kind of hoping, as it could be the simplest answer to what's going on) if he's taking the new viv harder than whatever the "norm" is. In addition to the new viv, it's also in a new room (my bedroom, which he's been in plenty of times) and has new decor in addition to what was already in there (after all, it is bigger).

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Oh another thing is, he has a basking spot which ranges from day to day between 100-103. But he never seems to hang out directly under the light. Usually he's on his bigger hammock (which he loves) which is a bit to the right of the basking spot. My guess, that particular area is around 95-100, possibly a tad less. So mostly he's either on that hammock or on his cave, (which is on the cool side) at least lately. Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure in his previous enclosure, he spent most his time under or near the basking area... So, ya. I don't know, it just that every little thing gives me anxiety. Before RJ I had a baby girl that passed at just over two years old. So Its just that in my head I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. I'm just so afraid of losing another baby

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Iloverex":14bqqebj said:
Ok, starting to get concerned. As I mentioned, he did poop, so that's all set. But since the poop, he's eaten little. I came home on lunch (noon) and he was in his cave (shoot, was he on it Or in it?) Well, either way, he's on the cool side. He didn't eat. Though I didn't offer supers (cuz now I'm paranoid) and he's not been eating roaches. He was in cave at 5pm and still wouldn't eat roaches. Offered three waxies just to see if he'd eat, he did, so I guess that's a plus.

<<< he's hanging out for the insects that he likes .... and it seems he is not a fan of roaches.
battle of wills here .... will you win or will he ?

We don't have much variety in the area.

relying on the local petshop is never a good policy .... ordering in the bugs to suit and having them delivered to your home or your office is by far the best way to go.

So I'll have to get something new online, which obviously could take about a week. My wife was able to score a few horn worms and a dozen butter worms from a few towns over,

<<< can't get butterworms at all here , and until recently (last year BSF maggots were scarce as hens teeth (they are here but only in the wild and in permaculture ( ? ) )

joining a local herp club can give you the inside info in insect breeders who are in your area, often also lizard breeders farm their own bugs and can often have surplus bugs they could be willing to sell too.

ill try that in the AM. Hopefully he eats. I'm wondering (and kind of hoping, as it could be the simplest answer to what's going on) if he's taking the new viv harder than whatever the "norm" is. In addition to the new viv, it's also in a new room (my bedroom, which he's been in plenty of times) and has new decor in addition to what was already in there (after all, it is bigger).

What time are the lights / heat being turned on ? and how long after that are you offering the first live insect meal ?

A common mistake is turning on the heat/lights and then immediately trying to feed the lizard who is still cold / cool and sleepy and not really firing on all cylinders yet , ....

...... easy fixed by waiting about at least 1 hr for beardie to warmup , wake up properly , start basking and start feeling like his tummy is empty.
My heat and lights are on a domestic timer, they come in 6am. I don't feed my gang til after I've had lunch, and when their were on two meals of bugs per day (am and pm) , the am meal was usually about 10am and the lizards were ready to eat , literally almost biting my finger tips off sometimes they were so keen to eat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom