Sick bearded dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kukac

Hi All,

I hope that you can help my bearded dragon.

Samu is a 1,5 year old beardie. Unfortunately he has been hospitalized multiple times, and it seems that this issue keeps reoccurring.

What happens is that he keeps eating less and less and after a time he won't accept food at all. First we were thinking that this is a environmental issue (less sunlight because of winter), however after taking medication he got better. First happened when he was 5 months old, second time when he was over 1 year old and now again.

He just got home from our vet, he received metronidazole for parasites, and he is still taking it every 5 days. They have told me that he got better and now he eats, however he barely eats an adult size cricket a day. After the first time he got medication he ate 8 roaches and looked like a balloon.

He is in constant discomfort (his chin in dark or black) and he barely eats. When I throw in a cricket he notices it and sometimes even follows it with his eyes, but it seems like he is too lazy to eat it, probably has no appetite for it.

I have checked dozens of articles about how his place should be setup. He has a 300l terrarium, basking light at one side (where he spends most of his time), UVB bulb. The temperature is between 25 and 40 degrees Celsius, basically he can pick any condition in that terrarium.

He is fed crickets, because that seems to work better, but I have tried dubia and red roached, phoenix worms, silk worms without much luck. He is offered vegetables, but does not seem to bother with them.

Do you guys have any advice what I should change or what I should recommend to the vet?

Thank you in advance.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, can you post pics of Samu showing his size as well as separate pics of his set up ?

Kukac

Original Poster
Hi AHBD,

Yes. He is about 45cm / 18 inches long, a bit skinny do to his condition. As you can see his chin is black at the moment also.

85925-8911064243.jpg

85925-6758670416.jpg

85925-2795920260.jpg

The terrarium is 120cm x 60cm x 50 cm (360l):

85925-2392094946.jpg

I managed to set up the terrarium that he gets an additional 4 hours of direct sunlight every day during sunset that he usually enjoys at his basking spot.

PS.: I know that many beardie owners recommend not to use sand in the terrarium. He has never had an impaction so that's why I keep using sand. I am using ExoTerra sand and I am changing it every month besides the daily cleaning. However since I am running out of ideas I am scooping it out and replacing it with paper towel.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Did the vet do blood work to check his system functions? If something is off there, it may give some clues about what's going on. How close can he get to that UVB150? That's not a very powerful bulb for such a large tank. The output isn't very useful beyond about 20cm. Less so if it's shining through a screen top. A nice T5 across the basking side of the tank might be a better fit. I'm not sure if that's the cause of or solution to any of his issues but having proper heat and UVB exposure is important for their overall health and certainly wouldn't hurt.

Kukac

Original Poster
I don't think she did a blood work, but I will ask her to do one this Friday.

What I can do is add another UVB150 light from the side and see if that helps. A have an 6 month old light that should still work fine. The reason I ruled out the lighting issue is that we changed the terrariums and the issue still persists and the vet confirmed that his bone structure is ok.

Kukac

Original Poster
Hi All,

a small update:

On Friday we visited the vet, he received a Vitamin and a water injection. He is going to have his next check tomorrow.

He is doing a bit better, but still not at 100%. Now he is eating a constant 2-3 adult size crickets a day instead of the 1-2 crickets every two days. I haven't seen any black chin during the weekend so that seems like a good sign.

I am picking up the Sand Mat today that I will use instead of the sand mat. I have checked with the vet about the UVB light. She said that it's unlikely a lighting problem. Just to be sure I will set up another ExoTerra Compact UVB150 to see if that works.

Do you guys have any experience with ExoTerra Solar Glow? I am thinking about to ditch the current lighting and replace it with two Solar Glow 125W bulbs (on the 2 basking spots). Would that be an optimal lighting and heating from 30cm through a metal mesh or I should go with the 160W?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
No black beard is encouraging! Replacing the sand will be nice too. Much easier to keep clean.

I'm not crazy about Solar Glo MVBs. Based on test results I've read, they tend to be inconsistent and have an odd UVB pattern rather than a nice wide beam. I prefer to use a T5 22'' tube for UVB light so I can set that at an appropriate height for UVB output and control heat separately. If you do go with an MVB, I would use a high quality one such as MegaRay or Arcadia. Through metal mesh top I would use the higher wattage because the mesh will intercept some of the UVB.

Kukac

Original Poster
CooperDragon,

I cut the Sand Mat into the terrarium and it looks awesome.

I decided not to go with MVB, I will go with the tube instead. My terrarium has a glass/mesh top so I won't be able to set the height, it will be mounted on top of the glass top about 30cm from the basking spots and 50cm from the bottom.

To keep me busy Samu decided that he won't eat dusted crickets. He is skinny so I try to maximize the food he eats, therefore I am feeding him twice a day. Morning he ate 2 dusted crickets and in the evening he did not bother touching the 3rd one. However he climbed out of the terrarium and attacked the cricket pan. Story short, he ate 4 non dusted crickets on the spot while ignoring the one dusted.
Normally I would not bother, however the vet requested that he gets all of his food dusted because of the vitamins. (I am using a dust with calcium and vitamin combined, the same local dust that is used for the lizards in the Budapest Zoo)

So fortunately it seems that he is getting better and better day by day. Hopefully the extra UVB will also improve the progress.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm glad to hear he is getting better! 30cm is just about right for a T5. Do be sure that it's shining through the mesh and not through glass because glass intercepts the UVB completely.

I haven't been to Budapest zoo yet. Do they have a good reptile area? I was not too far away at Vienna zoo about a month ago and it's fantastic but has few reptiles and no dragons. It's good to dust the crickets to make up for their lack of calcium. Some dragons are picky about the calcium dust so you may need to try some different brands and see what works. Sometimes they are just picky for a while so keep trying for a while with the new lighting and see how it goes.

Kukac

Original Poster
I have heard a lot of good things about the Vienna Zoo, but I have never visited it. I should probably do the next time I am around. The Budapest Zoo has an "Australia area" where they do have a couple bearded dragons.

Do you thing that it makes sense to dissolve the dust in water and feed him through water drops? Can I over dose it? I am trying to hydrate my dragon so he received 2ml of water daily that he licks from a syringe.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Kukac":2hp4t3jt said:
Hi AHBD,

Yes. He is about 45cm / 18 inches long, a bit skinny do to his condition. As you can see his chin is black at the moment also.

85925-8911064243.jpg

85925-6758670416.jpg

85925-2795920260.jpg

The terrarium is 120cm x 60cm x 50 cm (360l):
<<< excellent size viv and the temperatures look fine.

85925-2392094946.jpg

He in just lean , I can see some fat reserves in the thick part of his tail = GOOD and despite the difficult angle I can some cranial fat pads = GOOD.

I managed to set up the terrarium that he gets an additional 4 hours of direct sunlight every day during sunset that he usually enjoys at his basking spot.

PS.: I know that many beardie owners recommend not to use sand in the terrarium. He has never had an impaction so that's why I keep using sand. I am using ExoTerra sand and I am changing it every month besides the daily cleaning. However since I am running out of ideas I am scooping it out and replacing it with paper towel
CooperDragon":2hp4t3jt said:
I'm glad to hear he is getting better! 30cm is just about right for a T5. Do be sure that it's shining through the mesh and not through glass because glass intercepts the UVB completely.

Easy enough to using cable ties to attach a T5HO UNDER THE MESH / SCREEN LID.
Here's a good guide for mounting distances for your UVB globe when you get it
guide-bearded-dragon.jpg

t5ho_12_uvb.png

I haven't been to Budapest zoo yet. Do they have a good reptile area? I was not too far away at Vienna zoo about a month ago and it's fantastic but has few reptiles and no dragons. It's good to dust the crickets to make up for their lack of calcium. Some dragons are picky about the calcium dust so you may need to try some different brands and see what works. Sometimes they are just picky for a while so keep trying for a while with the new lighting and see how it goes.
.<<<< very good idea , here's hoping you have acted soon enough to avoid sand causing impaction

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Kukac":2iua5dl6 said:
I don't think she did a blood work, but I will ask her to do one this Friday.

What I can do is add another UVB150 light from the side and see if that helps. A have an 6 month old light that should still work fine. The reason I ruled out the lighting issue is that we changed the terrariums and the issue still persists and the vet confirmed that his bone structure is ok.

Sorry but even a 26W UVB150 will not be adequate . He will need to get inside 3 - 4 inches (7.5 - 10cm of this to get sufficient UVA and UVB).

I think you should set it aside and invest in , ask for an exchange you for a 26W UVB200 which produces 2x the UVA and 2x the UVB of the equivalent UVB150, this will help in the short term until the T5HO reflector hood and T5HO 10%UVB - 12%UVB tube is installed.
He needs to get inside 8 inches (20cm) of a 26W UVB200 in a horizontal style reflector hood (ie a Exo Terra Nano-Hood) and about the similar distance from a T5HO 12%UVB in a reflector hood.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Kukac":3bnf4ndw said:
Hi All,

I hope that you can help my bearded dragon.

Samu is a 1,5 year old beardie. Unfortunately he has been hospitalized multiple times, and it seems that this issue keeps reoccurring.

What happens is that he keeps eating less and less and after a time he won't accept food at all. First we were thinking that this is a environmental issue (less sunlight because of winter), however after taking medication he got better. First happened when he was 5 months old, second time when he was over 1 year old and now again.

He just got home from our vet, he received metronidazole for parasites, and he is still taking it every 5 days. They have told me that he got better and now he eats, however he barely eats an adult size cricket a day. After the first time he got medication he ate 8 roaches and looked like a balloon.

He is in constant discomfort (his chin in dark or black) and he barely eats. When I throw in a cricket he notices it and sometimes even follows it with his eyes, but it seems like he is too lazy to eat it, probably has no appetite for it.

I have checked dozens of articles about how his place should be setup. He has a 300l terrarium, basking light at one side (where he spends most of his time), UVB bulb. The temperature is between 25 and 40 degrees Celsius, basically he can pick any condition in that terrarium.

He is fed crickets, because that seems to work better, but I have tried dubia and red roached, phoenix worms, silk worms without much luck. He is offered vegetables, but does not seem to bother with them.

Do you guys have any advice what I should change or what I should recommend to the vet?

Thank you in advance.

Can you buy some Repashi GrubPie, and make it up as a sloppy paste, and give this by syringe into his mouth a couple of times per day to help build him up.
This will give him insect protein and fats , calcium and hydration all in one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom