one month baby dragon stargazing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, when you were feeding the babies the larger insects + the cut up insects these are too large of prey items for hatchlings. New hatchlings are way more prone to the impaction + seizure risk and back arching when the food items press on their spine. That's almost certainly what happened. Don't bother with the meds. you have for them, just feed them tiny insects. Sorry that the one passed away after medicating, just be aware now of the size of the insects being critical when these guys are so tiny and don't feed them within 3 hours of lights going out.

By the way, the Exo terra metal halide lamp along with a mercury vapor bulb should be providing all the uvb you need.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Iamakel":30b6fewy said:
Hey guys, the parents aren't Atadenovirus positive. Also, the stargazing baby hasn't stargated since that day. He's eating enough, pooping and also he started shedding skin (he was the last one who hasn't). If the parents are AV negative, I don't think the babies will be positive..

:)

That's wonderful news .... you would have to be very happy (and relieved) to get that news from the vet .....

So it's likely the stargazing was a temporary neurologic problem due to the size of the cut up roaches pressing on the nerves in the neck / spine as they went down to the stomach.

+1 for what AHBD says.

Should still separate the parents (at the very least so the female is not harassed by the male who will want to breed all the time) .

Should still separate the remaining four hatchlings so they all have the best possible opportunity to thrive.
Should you decide to sell some of the hatchlings , you can show the buyers the vet report on AV statis of the parents , this way they will be know the hatchlings are AV negative too.

Iamakel

Original Poster
Yeah, since then I'm cutting a 3cm cinerea in 6 parts (taking out the wings). One part is about let's say 0,3-0,4cm (way smaller than their space between their eyes. I have babies roaches but they are like 0,1cm full size so.. I'm waiting for them to grow bigger in order to feed the beardies with them. Tomorrow I'm going to buy more preadults/juvenile (mix) cinerea roaches or dubia (it depends on the breeder).

I separated the babies and now it's going to separate the adults too. All I need is the lights of the new viv. No, the male isn't trying to breed with the female at all. He's like on his own, barely noticing her. Eating, basking, pooping. The only time he's boping his head is when I feed them roaches (I take the female outside cause she eats more than the male and sometimes when the male takes her prey she's trying to bite him and get the roach out of his mouth, she's very aggresive), but still I'm going to separate them.

I'm not selling them. I have two friends that wanted bearded dragons even before the babies made it out of eggs. They have the setup done way before so I'm going to let the babies go into their new homes when they reach 4-5 months (should I keep them more?). I also will have two more left, one I'm going to keep for myself. It is the stargazer and the tiniest one of them (I struggled alot with him so it's love already). The other one I'm going to give him/her to someone who will have the setup done + food for the baby so in this case I know for sure he or she will thrive. I took the adults for a cheap price with the viv already, it almost cost nothing so I'm not going to take benefit of the babies.

I have one big question. Is it there on forum some thread of morphs? I want to know the morphs of my babies + adults. The stargazer has an unique skin (I tried to look up on Google but found nothing similiar). May I upload photos of them all so maybe someone could help me? I'm sorry for all of these questions.

Thank you!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Definitely post good clear pics of both the parents, showing full body as well as close ups of the feet and the head + eyes. Same pics of the babies.

Iamakel

Original Poster
Sorry after I wrote that post I put them all to sleep.

The adult male:
92132-6907970374.jpg
92132-2816832629.jpg
92132-6186952311.jpg
92132-8154701395.jpg

The adult female:
92132-3498055739.jpg
92132-867750249.jpg
92132-8595828586.jpg
92132-747712553.jpg

The first baby:
92132-9979538116.jpg
92132-7574475719.jpg
92132-1675550072.jpg
92132-6018914077.jpg

The second baby:
92132-5920457337.jpg
92132-540347877.jpg
92132-6044063521.jpg
92132-545777195.jpg

The third baby:
92132-8829084220.jpg
92132-1472786554.jpg
92132-2142248927.jpg
92132-5272515244.jpg

The fourth baby:
92132-1364515932.jpg
92132-671731946.jpg
92132-6061904831.jpg
92132-7584368526.jpg

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Great looking little tribe of beardies .... I really miss having little hatchlings or babies (skinks) .... I reckon they are more fun to interact with and watch than a barrel full of monkeys....

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Iamakel":31x68gra said:
Yeah, since then I'm cutting a 3cm cinerea in 6 parts (taking out the wings). One part is about let's say 0,3-0,4cm (way smaller than their space between their eyes. I have babies roaches but they are like 0,1cm full size so.. I'm waiting for them to grow bigger in order to feed the beardies with them. Tomorrow I'm going to buy more preadults/juvenile (mix) cinerea roaches or dubia (it depends on the breeder).

I separated the babies and now it's going to separate the adults too. All I need is the lights of the new viv. No, the male isn't trying to breed with the female at all. He's like on his own, barely noticing her. Eating, basking, pooping. The only time he's boping his head is when I feed them roaches (I take the female outside cause she eats more than the male and sometimes when the male takes her prey she's trying to bite him and get the roach out of his mouth, she's very aggresive), but still I'm going to separate them.
<<< sounds like she's the boss .... bit like my George and Mildred (bluetongue skinks).
named after http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073995/
could easily have called them Hyacinth and Dick after https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/keeping_up_appearances/ :) yet another henpecked male with a domineering female for a mate ....

I'm not selling them. I have two friends that wanted bearded dragons even before the babies made it out of eggs. They have the setup done way before so I'm going to let the babies go into their new homes when they reach 4-5 months (should I keep them more?). I also will have two more left, one I'm going to keep for myself. It is the stargazer and the tiniest one of them (I struggled alot with him so it's love already). The other one I'm going to give him/her to someone who will have the setup done + food for the baby so in this case I know for sure he or she will thrive. I took the adults for a cheap price with the viv already, it almost cost nothing so I'm not going to take benefit of the babies.

I have one big question. Is it there on forum some thread of morphs? I want to know the morphs of my babies + adults. The stargazer has an unique skin (I tried to look up on Google but found nothing similiar). May I upload photos of them all so maybe someone could help me? I'm sorry for all of these questions.

Thank you!

try googling bearded dragon morphs (like here http://www.thebeardeddragon.org/types-of-bearded-dragons.php ).... I have a book somewhere that has images of a lot of different morphs but apart from picking the difference between normal scales, leatherback and silkback I have no real interest in the morphs of beardies or other lizard species.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Nice looking healthy parent dragons , and the babies look pretty good too. :) Those are definitely normal/standard bearded dragons.[ Pogona vitticeps ] They can have a variety of interesting patterns , always looks extra cute when they're little. Some of the bold patterns fade , stretch out [ so the pattern might go from looking zig zag to just dashes , etc ]

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I did notice [ as I look again ] that the female is thinner than the male. Definitely feed her more right now.

And the pretty stripe going down the baby's backs are a cool pattern, they will keep those strips to a certain degree. Racing stripes ! :)

Iamakel

Original Poster
Hey, thanks for all the good words. :D

About the female, she's eating more than the male but she doesn't gain weight like being fat. She has always been thinner than the male, even though they are about the same age. That's why I was asking if there's a chance of her being a Pogona Minor Minor (she's definetly a dwarf compared to the male).

Thank you!

edit: few pics of her compared to the male:
92132-5646145469.jpg
92132-3366230522.jpg
92132-6617130884.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
She looks over all quite healthy, just a wee tiny bit on the thin side. It's better than being obese though......really fat dragons have a more difficult time in all areas of life, including egg laying. The fat builds up so much in their bodies that it crowds the reproductive tract and the eggs can be difficult to lay which can cause the dragon to become eggbound.

But your female is not a P. minor, just a smaller girl. The P. minor has a distinct look + pattern. Here are some that were for sale in the U.S, it's the ONLY time I've seen them for sale, they're VERY rare here.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjWrrfY9tPUAhVp6IMKHU_6DXQQtwIIMDAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DYoenLtXm82E&usg=AFQjCNGpJh1baSMswd79EY7cRy_xGsGEGw

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Both are P.Vittcepps (Centrals) as far as I can tell from your photos.

I have two who are siblings , the girl is a great feeder , and bigger and very much into being snuggled and chilling on the lounge next to me.
Her brother has been more of problem child , and a real livewire, but I've have managed to coax him to eat just as much as she does, though often it's under sufferance and he's never been a huge fan of superworms (added to the diet as treats a few months ago) , or silkworms (especially if the worm leaks green liquid - he is apt to spit out the worm and give me "the look" when that happens), he's a bit smaller than she is.

The come in all shapes and sizes (like people) .

Iamakel

Original Poster
Oh, I see now. Those beardies look really nice.

Thank you all for the help and all the good words. You all are really nice people for sure. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad03109
Top Bottom