Bearded Dragon has Coccidia, Still a healthy eater?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeeC

Hey all!

So Charlie is about 4-5 months old, unsexed, and Charlie's stool was tested positive for Coccidia (more than 30, as I was told.) I was given ponazuril to give to Charlie, .5ml everyday for 28 days. How does coccidia affect a bearded dragon? ... because I'm on Charlie's 5th day of taking the medicine and Charlie's eating habits and behavior haven't changed at all: still a hungry little beardie, still alert and active, pooping everyday, and no signs of lethargy before and after the diagnosis of coccidia. I've read bearded dragons with coccidia have opposite behavior and eating habits. However, I believe the worst that the coccidia has done so far is stunting Charlie's growth. Charlie weighs in at 33 grams. Does it depend on each individual bearded dragon with how coccidia affects them? What signs should I look for that are warning signs? Anyone have any suggestions or practices to care for Charlie further while Charlie goes through these stupid parasites?

Also, on another matter, does anyone have a place or website that I can go to purchase an affordable but reliable weighing scale for my Charlie?

How old is your dragon? 4-5 months old
How long have you had your dragon? 4 weeks
How long is your dragon? 10 inches
What is the sex of your dragon? Unknown
What size enclosure do you have your dragon in? 40 breeder
What type substrate do you have on the bottom of your tank? Construction paper
Do you use UVB lights? Yes
If so, Is it a coil, compact, fluorescent tube, or Mercury Vapor bulb? Fluorescent tube
What is the brand name and number of your bulb? Wattage (if MVB)? Reptisun T8 10.0
How old is your UVB bulb? Few days
How close can your dragon get to the UVB? 8-10 inches away
Do you use a separate basking bulb? What kind and what is the wattage? Is it a white or colored bulb? Yes, a white exoterra basking heat bulb, 100w
What are the basking temps? 100-108F
What is the cool side temp? 80-85F
Do you take the temps with a stick on thermometer, a digital thermometer with a wire and a probe end or a temp gun? An infrared digital thermometer
Where exactly are you taking your basking temps? On basking branch for basking side and on accessories on the cool side
Do you use a heat rock or heat pad? Neither
What do you feed your dragon? Please be specific. Small crickets from petco dusted with rep-cal calcium with vitamin d and phosphorus free every day and rep-cal herptivite 2-3 times a week. Mustard greens as last meal
How often do you feed and what time do you feed (morning, afternoon, night)? 4 times a day - 10am, 1pm, 3pm, 6pm
Do you gutload (feed) your crickets, worms, etc? Yes, with flukers orange cube and mustard greens
Do you use vitamin or calcium supplements? What brand(s)? Yes, rep-cal
How many days a week do you use each of them? Calcium- everyday -- vitamins-2-3 times a week
Is your dragon having regular bowel movements (poops)? Yes
Do you bath your dragon? How often? Yes, Every day, once a day
Do you mist your dragon or offer water other than in the bath? Yes
Have you gotten a vet check and fecal done? Yes
Does your dragon share an enclosure with another dragon? No

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there Zee....it's great that Charlie is still eating well. :) I must say that I've never heard of a 28 day course. That is waaaayyyyy too long....many dragons are on it for only 2-3 days. You don't have to worry about trying to get rid of every bit of coccidia since many dragons carry it in their gut.

ZeeC

Original Poster
AHBD":1v7e375e said:
Hi there Zee....it's great that Charlie is still eating well. :) I must say that I've never heard of a 28 day course. That is waaaayyyyy too long....many dragons are on it for only 2-3 days. You don't have to worry about trying to get rid of every bit of coccidia since many dragons carry it in their gut.

By the way you should post this in the health forum, it will get more views + probably replies. For a scale you might try Walmart.

Thanks so much for your response! Also, is it dangerous for Charlie to be on ponazuril for that time period??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom