Second impaction in two weeks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarkas

https://imgur.com/a/nOrqv

This little guy is Fafnir, I got him about a month or two ago after doing a lot of research and getting his cage setup. Things seem to have been fine until recently. Two weeks ago I noticed he hadn't popped in a few days and went around looking it up and ended up feeding him some stuff with olive oil and the basic prune baby food stuff and with some help in a warm bath I got him to clear it. Recently it happened again and following the same process as before I got him to clear it again.

So I figured since this happened a second time, I muuust be doing something wrong. I got him from Backwater Reptiles and they tell me he's somewhere between 1-2 years old and I've watched him eat before and he's pretty good at just grabbing the insect. I've been feeding him crickets with some vegetables when I can get him to eat it, switching between dusting with Rep-Cal Calcium and Reptivite, both with d3. The crickets have mostly been feeding on TotalBites otherwise with some of his leftover salad (Which has mostly been collared greens, turnip and mustard greens).

The tank setup is.. Well here's a picture

https://imgur.com/a/1jLkK

On the far left I have a 100ish watt light bulb that by itself gets the tile under it up to 80-90, next to it in the double lamp is a 65w heat lamp that bumps it up to 100-115. He used to have a plastic rock cave hide that I switched out for the two logs there since he hasn't used it since the first week he was here or when he ran off to hide while shedding. The smaller plastic one is in the corner, I have a shirt on the other side for night where there's a 50w ceramic heat emitter and there's a food bowl in that corner. I have a temperature gun to check temps and a digital thermometer/humidity guage.

So while it hasn't been hard to clear out the impaction so far.. I really want to get the bottom of what's causing it and worst case I'll likely need to get a vet involved

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. You didn't mention a uvb light. Do you have one? If not he needs one for him to digest properly. A reptisun 10.0 t5 tube is one of the best.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
At his age it is not unusual for them to hold it for many days. Mine will hold it up to 6 days at a time(I think she does it to make a bigger mess, lol)

I also saw no mention of a uvb light in your description of the setup. What brand and, type do you have?

Edit: I saw a tube light inside your viv, what brand is it and, is it a t8 or t5?
That viv is a tad small for a dragon that big (handsome guy), you might want to look into something bigger because he ain't got room enough in there to cuss a cat without getting hair in his mouth! Generally a 40gallon breeder is the bare minimum and, optimum is a 2x2x4 and longer. This to can play a big part in behavior.

Sarkas

Original Poster
Oops, sorry, yeah I forgot to mention the UV bulb. It's a Zoo Med Reptisun T5 HO 10.0 UVB.I'm meaning to get him a larger viv, but I'm going to have to hold that off for the time being until after I move in a little under a month, it'd be easier to get the new viv when i'm at the new place and to figure out a spot to put him. The viv is a weird gallon size because it's a 36x18x16, or 16x18, I think it'd be fine for now, but I am planning on getting him a larger viv soon.

And I was mostly concerned about him not going for awhile because before it was almost every other day, sometimes every day. I haven't noticed anything strange with his behavior, he used to do a lot of glass surfing but I try to take him out at least once a day and it's been a month or so so didn't think much about that happening less often.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Gormagon":1b071dem said:
At his age it is not unusual for them to hold it for many days. Mine will hold it up to 6 days at a time(I think she does it to make a bigger mess, lol)

I also saw no mention of a uvb light in your description of the setup. What brand and, type do you have?

Edit: I saw a tube light inside your viv, what brand is it and, is it a t8 or t5?
That viv is a tad small for a dragon that big (handsome guy), you might want to look into something bigger because he ain't got room enough in there to cuss a cat without getting hair in his mouth! Generally a 40gallon breeder is the bare minimum and, optimum is a 2x2x4 and longer. This to can play a big part in behavior.
see viewtopic.php?f=6&t=232446 '
I've analysed the pooing habits of my two juvenile beardies Peppa and Toothless and it was an eyeo pener.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Gormagon":2k2yecuy said:

Edit: I saw a tube light inside your viv, what brand is it and, is it a t8 or t5? <<<< and more importantly is it rated at LEAST 10%UVB ?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Sarkas":3lfszmcl said:
https://imgur.com/a/nOrqv <<< I hope that is NOT a heat rock he's sitting on .... if it is , unplug it and throw the cable away.

This little guy is Fafnir, I got him about a month or two ago after doing a lot of research and getting his cage setup. Things seem to have been fine until recently. Two weeks ago I noticed he hadn't popped in a few days and went around looking it up and ended up feeding him some stuff with olive oil and the basic prune baby food stuff and with some help in a warm bath I got him to clear it. Recently it happened again and following the same process as before I got him to clear it again.

So I figured since this happened a second time, I muuust be doing something wrong. I got him from Backwater Reptiles and they tell me he's somewhere between 1-2 years old and I've watched him eat before and he's pretty good at just grabbing the insect. I've been feeding him crickets with some vegetables when I can get him to eat it, switching between dusting with Rep-Cal Calcium and Reptivite, both with d3. The crickets have mostly been feeding on TotalBites <<< throw out the TotalBites stuff .... it's worthless ,. better off using high calcium greens and carrot and repcal adult beardie pellets to feed/gutload the crickets IMO
otherwise with some of his leftover salad (Which has mostly been collared greens, turnip and mustard greens).

The tank setup is.. Well here's a picture

https://imgur.com/a/1jLkK

On the far left I have a 100ish watt light bulb that by itself gets the tile under it up to 80-90, next to it in the double lamp is a 65w heat lamp that bumps it up to 100-115. He used to have a plastic rock cave hide that I switched out for the two logs there since he hasn't used it since the first week he was here or when he ran off to hide while shedding. The smaller plastic one is in the corner, I have a shirt on the other side for night where there's a 50w ceramic heat emitter and there's a food bowl in that corner. I have a temperature gun to check temps and a digital thermometer/humidity guage.

So while it hasn't been hard to clear out the impaction so far.. I really want to get the bottom of what's causing it and worst case I'll likely need to get a vet involved

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, Fafnir is a nice looking leatherback boy, looks to be about 12-16 months old. Your t5 Reptiun will provide plenty of uvb from on top of the screen but will be TOO strong if mounted inside. As for his pooing, an adult or sub adult dragon may only poo once every 4-10 days in some cases even longer. This is not unusual at all and does not need vet intervention. Your tank may be too hot, most adults don't like it much over 100, and your cool side should be no more than 80. Being too hot may cause a degree of dehydration so be sure to offer water by spraying him gently but directly on the snout. Not a wide spray, but a direct spray that would be seen as if your faucet was on very low, almost dripping. It may take about 30-60 seconds for then to realize that it's a drink so you can spray, stop, repeat.

As far as worrying about impaction, no, he isn't impacted but when you get to a week or so without seeing a poo you can just do exactly what you already did. Keeping him more hydrated will help as well. :) One more thing, mutivitamin can be given 1-2X a week, and calcium without D3 should be used every other time in place of calcium with D3. Vit. D3 can be toxic when given in large amounts.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
kingofnobbys":1lweh43i said:
Gormagon":1lweh43i said:

Edit: I saw a tube light inside your viv, what brand is it and, is it a t8 or t5? <<<< and more importantly is it rated at LEAST 10%UVB ?
I posed the question in a way that the OP could respond and, they did so right after I asked the question.

Sarkas

Original Poster
Alright, I suppose I don't have too much to worry about then, just a nervous first time owner, I'll keep an eye on him and make sure he's hydrated.

A few things
-The 'rock' he's sitting on isn't a heat rock, it's a repurposed Exo Terra Reptile Cave Large which I found to be much too small for him, so I ended up sticking it in the corner on the warmer side and he spends a lot of his time there or directly under the lamp.
-I'll get some stuff without D3 for him to dust for future meals
-I plan on getting him a larger viv but I'm holding off on that because I'm moving soon
-I've tried getting him to drink water before but he doesn't seem to like water in general, I used to have a water bowl out for him but I've never seen him get in it or use it for anything, gets right out when I put him in, I've been resorting to misting his back with water, and getting his greens wet before he eats them, or dripping water on his nose while feeding him greens. I have a spray bottle and tried to give the tighter stream directly on his snout and he didn't seem interested, I'll try again later.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's fine if he gets some extra hydration while eating greens, he may drink with a direct spray at some point or may not. But if you do that while he's eating as you say then he's likely getting plenty of hydration. :)

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Sarkas":14muc203 said:
Alright, I suppose I don't have too much to worry about then, just a nervous first time owner, I'll keep an eye on him and make sure he's hydrated.

A few things
-The 'rock' he's sitting on isn't a heat rock, it's a repurposed Exo Terra Reptile Cave Large which I found to be much too small for him, so I ended up sticking it in the corner on the warmer side and he spends a lot of his time there or directly under the lamp.
-I'll get some stuff without D3 for him to dust for future meals
-I plan on getting him a larger viv but I'm holding off on that because I'm moving soon
-I've tried getting him to drink water before but he doesn't seem to like water in general, I used to have a water bowl out for him but I've never seen him get in it or use it for anything, gets right out when I put him in, I've been resorting to misting his back with water, and getting his greens wet before he eats them, or dripping water on his nose while feeding him greens. I have a spray bottle and tried to give the tighter stream directly on his snout and he didn't seem interested, I'll try again later.
:) all good then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom