Injured leg???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jsw

Hatchling Member
I posted here viewtopic.php?f=6&t=232668

But after observing him all day, I really think it is an injured leg. He can move three of them normally but his left front seems to hurt him. And when he tries to move,
It really looks like he's trying to move it normally but it hurts or doesn't work right.

I still have my vet appointment Monday, but what else
can I do?

What can a vet do for an injury??

Terry15

Sub-Adult Member
He may have hurt it if you have that green netted hammock. It would be a good idea to take it down & anything he can climb & jump from. I hope he will be ok.

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. Again. Our girl has a broken leg back right and all the vet could do is prescribe liquid calcium and keep her from moving her leg a lot. I say in your case that's like trying to keep a todler from moving. They did an xray and said the front legs have such small bones that's it's impossible to tell even with an xray if the front has broken bones. The back leg was very swollen and she was walking funny. Does your little guy have a swollen limb? Hopefully its just a sprain. She also gave us some pain medicine.

Jsw

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I don't have a hammock, but his cave is basically an upside down basket and I suppose he could have caught a foot in it. :( He's not climbing on anything now; he's not moving at all. :cry:

Thanks for the responses. I hope it's just a sprain.

(edit to fix typo)

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
destiny1998":2iqi6jix said:
Hi. Again. Our girl has a broken leg back right and all the vet could do is prescribe liquid calcium and keep her from moving her leg a lot. I say in your case that's like trying to keep a todler from moving. They did an xray and said the front legs have such small bones that's it's impossible to tell even with an xray if the front has broken bones. The back leg was very swollen and she was walking funny. Does your little guy have a swollen limb? Hopefully its just a sprain. She also gave us some pain medicine.

My George (the bluetongue skink) somehow managed to break his left arm's upper bone in his 100L rearing tub when he was about 6 months old and still a little guy.

I'm thinking he slipped or fell when standing on his back legs and tail (tripoding) and I can't vouch for the UV he received before we brought him and his sister Mildred home from the breeder.

Anyway, the first vet took a 5 minute look and told us nothing to worry about just a sprain, pay at the desk out the front when you leave and call me if he doesn't improve in a few days.

Arm didn't improve and started to swell and so I found another vet and demanded xrays, first set showed nothing much of concern, then the second set showed a "spiral fracture" and the told me he could set it and immobilize it but it was going to be expensive and had to be done under a general.

Back to vet a day or two later and they put him under and returned him to me when he was awake and looking chipper, and with a tiny cast on his arm and wrapped around his chest to keep that arm immobilized , and a bunch of chilled needles filled with antiinflamatory + antibiotics + a bunch with some pain relief in them. Vet told me he'd made a tiny stainless steel pin to insert into the broken bone and it was tricky to do.
Anti-biotics/inflamatories were to be injected just under the skin each day and the pain relief every other day.

The caste didn't slow George down on iota, he was still just as active with it and as boisterous and he'd try to bulldoze his way paste anything that his immobilized arm (poking straight out from his chest) ran into, especially on the days he got his pain relief , must have been good stuff as he really perked up not long after I gave it to him.
I also had to give him oral doses of CalciVet every day too.... he loved the taste of the stuff so that was no drama unlike the needles (he was not a fan of them but never bit me).

About 6 weeks later caste was off, xrays taken and all mended .... never had another issue with George except when Mildred (the bitch) cornered him and bit him on his head and took a big scale off. Separated the pair after that.

Jsw

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
We're off to the vet. He has literally not moved at all today. I've been monitoring his temperature to make sure he's not too hot, and he ate a few bok choy bits and a few licks of butternut squash when I put them right in front of him. But very disconcerting to see him acting basically paralyzed from the neck down.

Think good thoughts for him, please!

Jsw

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
It's an infection! He didn't see/feel anything wrong with bones or anything, and all the other signs plus what I told him about my set up led him to the conclusion that he has a systemic infection.

He spent almost two hours with me asking me all kinds of questions about behavior and environment and diet and really detailed questions about my observations at the onset and since then. He examined him all over. I feel as confident in his diagnosis as I can, given my limited knowledge of beardies. It wasn't a "10 minute glance and poke and shove you out the door" type visit.

I got 14 days of antibiotics, instructions on adjusting my uvb and basking lights, a run down of a balanced diet, and more info on beardies than I could fully take in at one sitting.

The vet was optimistic about recovery because I brought him in so soon. He said some people go weeks or months in this condition before bringing the animal in!!!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Jsw":8yqncxic said:
It's an infection! He didn't see/feel anything wrong with bones or anything, and all the other signs plus what I told him about my set up led him to the conclusion that he has a systemic infection.

He spent almost two hours with me asking me all kinds of questions about behavior and environment and diet and really detailed questions about my observations at the onset and since then. He examined him all over. I feel as confident in his diagnosis as I can, given my limited knowledge of beardies. It wasn't a "10 minute glance and poke and shove you out the door" type visit.

I got 14 days of antibiotics, instructions on adjusting my uvb and basking lights, a run down of a balanced diet, and more info on beardies than I could fully take in at one sitting.

The vet was optimistic about recovery because I brought him in so soon. He said some people go weeks or months in this condition before bringing the animal in!!!

Oh no , poor little beardie .... I wish it had been a break, that's easier to heal and fix....

But at least he is getting some meds that hopefully will kill off the infection in a while.
SIs are nasty , that's what killed my little Lucky in the end, we all (including the vet) thought we had the infection licked and he was thriving (growing like crazy and even completely regenerated his tail) and then it flared up suddenly and unexpectedly and 10 -12 hr after first indication something was wrong he was dead.

Did the vet take a blood sample for pathology ?
.... it's the only real way to know for sure what you are dealing with and this way he can tailor the antibiotics to be much more effective than just making an educated guess and hoping for the best.

So you are now his intensive care nurse and giving oral supps and medicine (liquid calcium + antibiotics) + IM injections of antibiotics + antiinflamatories + painrelief injections. He'll love the oral antibiotics (Lucky's response was a huge YUCK !!!) and he wasn't too keen on the injections in the back near the shoulder blades (and being so tiny I was always terrified I'd actually impale him with needle if he wriggled (and boy did he wriggle and he squealed too - never knew skinks squealed before that).

Did the vet advise to keep him warm 24/7 (to help boost his metabolic rate and immune system) ?

Hoping the antibiotics do the job and you lick this SI and your little boy has no relapses afterwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom