Concerned about hydration

Status
Not open for further replies.

KatCZilla

We have had Zilla for about 2 months now and I have never seen her drink. She has a water dish she will sit in and I spray her at least 3 times a day. She also gets soaks in the sink at least once a week. Puff ( who I care for at work, - he belongs to the child care center where I work). Will catch drips on his tongue or lick the drips from the spray bottle off the glass in his tank when we spray him- so I expected Zilla to do the same. I do mist her food when I give her greens but is that enough? ( she is 2-3 years old)
Thanks
Karen

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Most bearded dragons don't drink from their water dishes. They come from a desert environment so they're not wired to recognize standing water. Some will drink if you dribble water on their nose from an eyedropper, and some will drink some of the water if you give them a warm bath. They also get moisture from their food, so you can spray lots of water on their veggies (as you said you're already doing) and it will help with hydration as well as help the veggies themselves stay fresh a little longer. You just have to try to give them water however they'll take it and hope it's enough, but never drinking from the water dish is not abnormal -- many beardies don't. They're all a little different when it comes to how they like to get their water.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Very few bearded dragons will drink from their water dish, they''ll sit in to cool off, they'll do their poos in it (doesn't take the long to discovered a submerged poo isn't as stinky).

In the wild in their natural range a bearded dragon can live out it's entire life without ever experiencing rain or flowing or standing water (except at permanent springs natural or man-made), and they get the moisture they need from the small animals , and insects the catch and eat, and from herbs and flowers and from fruit they find.

I don't have water dishes in my beardie's tanks. I'll mist the beardies in hot weather, and drip water on their snouts , and other than that my beardies get all the hydration they require from their daily live insects and greens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom