Dixie's weight and eating Habits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nathb1

Hatchling Member
I find that Dixie (male) lately hasnt been eating as much as she did before . She is 535 grams as of last week and 18 inches 10 month of age .Nothing has changed in her tank UVB hasnt reach 6 months and heat is ok. Yesturday she didnt touch her worms at all.When i hand fed her then she did. I always handfeed her daily but she also ate on her own. She eats about once a day sometimes twice. She has butterworms , BSF and superworms as a staple now. I guess she is eating a bit more salad now. So I was wondering is it due to her weight since she ballooned so fast that she is now slowing down>? From when I got her it was shedding hell , every week she shed a part of herself. Been about 1 month she hasnt shed at all. I know she might be reaching her weight but she is still only 10 months and they say they can grow up to 18 months to 2 years?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
She will continue to grow until about 18-24 months but at that size she is probably pretty close to full size and her metabolism is slowing. I suggest reducing the bug meals to once per day (and really limiting the fatty butters and supers to an occasional treat) and focusing on getting her to eat a daily salad with a nice wide variety of items. Once she starts digging into the salads you can reduce the bug feedings to every other day and eventually to a couple of times per week with occasional snacks in between.

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
I'm bumping into this with my 7mo old, already at 17.5" long and 377 grams. He used to eat 3 bug meals a day, recently about maybe 7 roaches each time, but he's clearing slowing down now and really holding out for some salad. He's down to a few large roaches a day (which is great, I'm getting low) and really into collard greens, so much so that he won't even touch his green beans, his favorite up until now. Doesn't help he's also shedding everywhere and a little moody.

Sounds like your dragon has realized "ok I'm big now, less protein, more salad"

nathb1

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":2bnj2i78 said:
She will continue to grow until about 18-24 months but at that size she is probably pretty close to full size and her metabolism is slowing. I suggest reducing the bug meals to once per day (and really limiting the fatty butters and supers to an occasional treat) and focusing on getting her to eat a daily salad with a nice wide variety of items. Once she starts digging into the salads you can reduce the bug feedings to every other day and eventually to a couple of times per week with occasional snacks in between.

She is not eating much of her salad or insects at this point , wasnt a veggy eater before either but loved her bugs , she ate 2 butterworms yesturday, nothing today. I know butterworms and supers are not the best but I am limited in what I can give her at this point. She is not interested in reptiworms, crickets . Silkworms over here do not last a long time. She likes hornworms. Even the supers she refuses them on some days. Like today didnt want any. She looks good, healthy but wants to bask or sleep one or two hours before bedtime. My temperature has not change and my uvb is still good for one more month....
Her poop is small but normal looking and regular smell, She gains 1-2 grams weekly has not lost weight. She was 538 last week now 540 grams this week .But not gaining as she used to either cuz she is eating very little.This has been going on since march.I will get some silkworms and hornworms to see if she will eat them.she lived on reptiworms until March

When I take her out she is alert and walks around.. I have looked her over there is nothing wrong with her no bumps or whatever. No black beard...
88515-9854713389.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom