**Bearded dragong dragging self on ground**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoppy819

Hello! I am a realitively new bearded dragon owner, (my bearded dragon is a little over a year now) and he has suddenly started behaving strangely.
He is rubbing his belly all over the ground and rapidly moving around his cage. Sometimes taking a dive into his water bowl. His movement almost looks like he is slithering. This has never happened before and I'm pretty concerned. The only thing I can think of is I cleaned his cage on Sunday (it's now Monday evening.) although I didn't clean it any differently, I washed his toys & things with dish soap and spritzed the glass with a bit of vinegar and mostly water solution.
For now, I have just turned off his heat lamp & uv and put him to bed a bit early. At the moment he seems to have calmed down, though he is resting with his belly up against the corner of his glass. (Which is a weird sleeping posting for him.) I really am confused as to what is going on and if I need to take his to the vet or anything.
Thanks!

Information:
Uv; Reptisun 10'
Heat lamp: Zoo-med 100 watt
Enclosure: 40 gallon
Daily Diet: collard greens & acorn squash.
Crickets: Fed about every other day.
Any other information your curious about I am happy to answer, this is just what has come to mind. :)
How I found him.
84944-9304410996.jpg
How he's laying.
84944-2213529921.jpg

Hoppy819

Original Poster
Hello! I am a realitively new bearded dragon owner, (my bearded dragon is a little over a year now) and he has suddenly started behaving strangely.
He is rubbing his belly all over the ground and rapidly moving around his cage. Sometimes taking a dive into his water bowl. His movement almost looks like he is slithering. This has never happened before and I'm pretty concerned. The only thing I can think of is I cleaned his cage on Sunday (it's now Monday evening.) although I didn't clean it any differently, I washed his toys & things with dish soap and spritzed the glass with a bit of vinegar and mostly water solution.
For now, I have just turned off his heat lamp & uv and put him to bed a bit early. At the moment he seems to have calmed down, though he is resting with his belly up against the corner of his glass. (Which is a weird sleeping posting for him.) I really am confused as to what is going on and if I need to take his to the vet or anything.
Thanks!

Information:
Uv; Reptisun 10'
Heat lamp: Zoo-med 100 watt
Enclosure: 40 gallon
Daily Diet: collard greens & acorn squash.
Crickets: Fed about every other day.
Any other information your curious about I am happy to answer, this is just what has come to mind. :)
How I found him.
84944-9304410996.jpg
How he's laying.
84944-2213529921.jpg

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Up his insects to a feed of live bugs per day. At 12 months old he's still growing and still has a yaer of growth in him, and needs the insect protein and dietary calcium.

If the slivering is new or not all the time , it may be he's coming up in a belly shed and trying get the old skin off (pretty hard in his case as he seems to no hard rough or sharp surfaces to crawl over and rub/scratch his tummy on).
The cleaning agents used may be irritating his belly skin too.

I never use soaps or commercial household cleaners on my lizards' stuff. I use tap water (wet kitchen grade paper towels to clean) and dry paper towels and to get rid of germs I use F10SC diluted in water (1 : 150) and spray the soiled spot and let it airdry for 30 mins - after that there are no more germs !!

I wouldn't be turning the lights off early, if he's sick, he's going to need extra heat and light time to help boost his immune system.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It sounds like he may be going to shed his belly perhaps.
How far is the Reptisun 10 from him & is it mounted on top of or underneath of the screen?
How often do you give calcium supplementation for him?
Is his appetite good?

Tracie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Taking a closer look at his chest , looks quite greyish - typical of preshed..... he's itchy on this chest and tummy, be a good human slave and go get him some nice thick twigs from off the ground under some local trees in the park or local bit of bush... lay them about for him to crawl over and under and he'll really appreciate them.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I agree that it's probably shed related. :) If you don't have much cage decor you can get a nice sturdy log or branch from outside, but pop it in a preheated oven at 250 for an hour to kill any potential pests. It might also be a sperm plug if you are positive that it's a male. Look at his vent [ rear end ] to see if any light brown object is sticking out. And if you're not positive that he's a male, you can arch the tail high up while he's flat on the ground [ think of a dog that has it's tail straight in the air ] and take a few pics to post here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bearded dragon
Top Bottom