Bearded dragon glass surfing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys! Long time no talk :)

Haku, my female beardie, is about a year old now and has just woken up from a 5 month brumation!!

Ever since she has woken up she has been glass surfing like CRAZY, i feel bad but it is truly driving me nuts (her tank is right next to our bed).

I know there are tons of reasons why dragons do this, so I figured I would re-list my set-up and see if any of you have some ideas or things you have tried that have been successful!

She is in a 40 gallon tank
Warm side 93, cold side 86
Basking spot is 104
Reptisun 10.0 uvb (two months old)
Her basking spot is also a cave in case she wants to hide.
I feed her pellets, kale, mustard greens, collars greens etc.
I dust food with calcium 2 to 3 times a week
I dust with vitamins once or twice a week
I feed her crickets once or twice every week or two.
she gets a bath twice weekly& goes to the bathroom daily
She comes out to run around every day for at least an hour

I have heard when they wake up from brumation sometimes the females may be ready to lay infertile eggs, she doesn't seem to have egg-bearing symptoms aside from glass surfing but I did provide a large Tupperware closet to the cool side of her tank which is filled with play sand and moist coconut soil- but she never uses it.

Any help would be appreciated!

P.S. her face is also shedding currently, so she is not having shed issues!

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
Heya!
I first want to say Haku used to be my nickname on World of Warcraft (short for Hakutaku) and wanted to say props on the cool name 8)

Secondly, I just had this going on with my girl, Simon, just a month or so ago. Unfortunately, there was really nothing I could do and it was also driving me nuts (in living room, the most used room.)
She would slap around like crazy, knocking everything over like she had gotten ideas watching Godzilla. She'd plop to bask, look around, and go back to running around slapping.

The only thing that seemed to help was letting her free-range the house, but I know not everyone has this option. Basically, you have a girl with a bunch of pent up energy that is just going crazy with not much to do. If you have time and a safe space to let her explore the home, go for it. Putting them at a window sill might also help as windows are like the TVs for beardies.

alexarayehelena

Original Poster
Thank you!

I have been trying to let her run around more around our room. I have even been letting the water from her bath drain and letting her run around in the tub for twenty minutes or so (I only do this once or twice a week since it's not that much space anyway, so I doubt it makes a difference).

I guess I would have a lot of energy if I just slept for five months, too!

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
alexarayehelena":1d4kls3e said:
Thank you!

I have been trying to let her run around more around our room. I have even been letting the water from her bath drain and letting her run around in the tub for twenty minutes or so (I only do this once or twice a week since it's not that much space anyway, so I doubt it makes a difference).

I guess I would have a lot of energy if I just slept for five months, too!

She'll work it all out eventually :lol:
Just be sure she doesn't get chilly running around in the tub after the bath!

alexarayehelena

Original Poster
I hope so! Cause I love her but she is driving us mad!
And I bring her portable basking light in if I know she will be roaming the empty tub for awhile lol.

Thanks for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom