Weird Poops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arrhen

Hello All,

For the past 2-3 weeks or so my beardie Smaug has been having some.. Strange poops. I've had him for about two and a half months aka. 12-26-16 (feels as if it's been a lot longer). At first I was concerned about impaction since he was, at the time, fed mostly mealworms. Obviously it wasn't because he still pooped 2 times a day like clockwork. Either way I took mealworms out of his diet except for as treats every now and then (fear not, I'll have a BUNCH of info about him at the end of this).
After I took the mealworms out of his diet he's been fed crickets. I buy in bulk and gut-load them myself with store bought cricket food, orange water crystals and always some sort of veggie (Below for more info). Since changing his diet, his poops have gotten smellier, gooier and much more watery. It's like a grey/green goo outside and greenish brown inside. Sometimes there is a darker brown solid area. Once it had dark spots with a gray outside. It;s usually clustered together in a little mound. There is somewhat of a form to it. The urate is a bit hard and kind of yellow. (this is from me looking at the poop he just decided to lay.
Could this be from digestion issues, parasites or something worse? He's still relatively active (mostly when I'm doing class work or on the floor doing crafts) but has been wanting to sleep in more. I read about brumation, but he still eats regularly. I do plan on taking him to the vet sometime soon to get a fecal.

INFO:
( Smaug )
Bought: Petco :silent:
Size: 13.7 Inches from nose to tail
Food: Rotation of collards, greens and endive. Occasionally sweet potato, snap peas, apple, squash ext. Medium crickets every day. Occasionally mealworms.
Misc: Baths every 2-3 days for 10 minutes with a light spray in-between.
( Tank )
- 29 Gal
- Wire top
- Terrain carpet (green)
- 40 Humidity
- All temps are perfect and constantly kept in check
- Water dish
- Small heating pad
- Hide
- Basking
- Digital probes
- 45 Watt heating bulb set in the center
- 75 Watt basking bulb
- Tube UVB light

( Crickets )
Food: Fluker's High-Calcium Cricket Diet & Collard greens and potatoes
Water: Fluker's Cricket Quencher Calcium Fortified (sometimes I soak them in a bit of water before adding them)
Sorry for any grammar mistakes

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Which type of UVB light do you have? Is it a T8 or a T5? I ask because the mounting distance requirements are different. A T8 needs to be about 6-8'' above the basking area while a T5 should be about 12-14'' above the basking area.

My first guess on the poops is that his stomach is upset by the diet change. Crickets are known to make poops a bit smelly. If it continues, you may want to consider switching to roaches perhaps. It wouldn't hurt to have a sample checked by a vet for parasites but I think this is more likely dietary. Have you tried offering different kind of bugs like silk worms or black soldier fly larvae? Perhaps introducing some more variety like that would help. I especially like silkworms as a secondary feeder bug.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go88app
Top Bottom