Proper care for yellow fungus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dartscale

Hello all! My beardie (Scorch) recently came out of Burmation of about 3 months. I took him out to bathe him and noticed yellowing on his head and a bit in both corners of his mouth. I googled "yellowing on my bearded Dragon" and found out it was a fungus. Worried I brought him to the vet yesterday 2017/03/14. At first the vet told me Scorch looked perfectly fine and the yellowing was nothing...

He then came back and said he was going to take a sample to look at under the microscope. Did that and told me it was a fungus and that he was wrong the first time..... That made me pretty upset but I hid the fact and made comments in my head. Anyway, he gave me conzol to put on the fungus, the bottle says it's for cats and dogs. Google says it's for cats and dogs ONLY. Is it okay to keep applying this to Scorch? Or should I stop and use something else as treatment?

Scorch has become uneasy since applying this conzol onto him. He get's very agitated when I go to pet his head, which he previously loved before the conzol. The vet told me to lightly paint it on the fungus infected areas once a day. Also that I would most likely not see any results for 2-3 weeks. So that's what I've done, applied yesterday and today with a Q-tip. He also made a big mess of his greens which he doesn't do.

Scorch is 10 months old
About 8 inches
Eats crickets (they are gut loaded and lightly dusted with calcium supplement powder before I feed him them) his water get Zoo Med Reptisafe. He was eating 20 in total a day before burmation. 10 in the morning and 10 at night.
I feed him Kale for most of his greens. He gets basil and parsley mixed in as well as shredded carrot and squash. His food bowl (regular size) would be filled with greens that he would eat throughout the day.
His enclosure is L=3' W=18" H=16 3/4"
Basking spot is 100, hot side is 85-95, don't have a gauge for the cool side but I'm gonna estimate around 75
His substrate is the substrate liner

Thank you very much in advance for any help ^.^

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, I'm sorry to hear about Scorch's problem. Can you post a few good close up pics [ mouth ] as well as a full body shot of him ? Here's how :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to attach pics

And is his length 8" total or do you mean snout to vent ? That means just his body without his tail length.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
The Conzol should be safe for a bearded dragon. It's just a human antifungal (miconozol) packaged for animals. I just bought a 6oz tube (for humans) of it for one of my reptiles.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
This is interesting...
I have been using colloidal silver on one of my beaded lizards head and eyes. I believe it's fungal and has infected his eyes. He came to me with the infection and has been seen by the vet. At the time both he and I felt the infected area was just adheared shed and would slough off with Vaseline and soaks. When it did slough I thought it looked fungal. So I started spraying colloidal silver on the reptiles eyes and head. The eyes were so bad that tissue would protrude from the orbit. The vet felt it was fat deposits pushing on the eye and advised a diet (the reptile isn't obese).
The eye problem is almost resolved now.
I have used colloidal silver dressings on humans hundreds of times with awsome results. Some of the worse MRSA infections that appeared needed surgical treatment resolved with daily colloidal silver dressings.

http://www.thesilveredge.com/fungalpath.shtml#.WMn4dpllDqA

(Edit: I'm not promoting the colloidal silver generator the company is selling. Just posting their data...it correlates with other info on the net)

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I agree that photos would be helpful. From what I've seen, a combination of oral anti-fungal meds (voriconizole has been successful in particular) and topical treatments has shown the best results. The topical treatments range from anti-fungal creams like lamasil, to colloidal silver as Rankins mentioned, to strong concentrations of F10SC spray. The earlier the fungus is detected and treated the better the outcomes, generally speaking.

Dartscale

Original Poster
Apologies for not getting the pictures up with the original post. Should I be applying the conzol more than once a day?

He is 8 1/2" without tail. 1'4 1/2" with tail.

I'm very worried about this picture in specific right now, there is what looks like a small blister/bubble in the center of his head. It was not there yesterday.
91159-4771582340.jpg

91159-6658669226.jpg

91159-7377382931.jpg

91159-6392830787.jpg

91159-66214861.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Good thing you posted. I wondered if t would just be color, and that's exactly what it is. Your vet is either mistaken or VERY inept. No need to use anything, that is natural color. I've raised tons of beardies and that is just color. I'd be asking for a refund.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I agree. There is some shedding along his face but that is natural color not yellow fungus. YF would look more like a scab or wound. If you google some photos of it you'll see the difference. The light colored scale on top of his head is his parietal eye which helps him sense light and shadows from above and is also a normal feature.

Dartscale

Original Poster
AHBD":yjqeyzeq said:
Good thing you posted. I wondered if t would just be color, and that's exactly what it is. Your vet is either mistaken or VERY inept. No need to use anything, that is natural color. I've raised tons of beardies and that is just color. I'd be asking for a refund.

That was the first time I've brought Scorch into a vet. Only reason I bring my animals into a vet is if they're sickly. Otherwise I just let them be.

The vet at first said it was nothing and that Scorch was fine.

Then he decided to take a sample and look at it under the microscope. When he returned he stated "I was wrong the first time, when I looked at it under the microscope I could see the "fungus" moving."

Gotcha on the parietal eye CooperDragon ^.^, I'd never noticed that on him before.

Thank you very much everyone! I won't be going back to that vet any time soon and I'll more then likely be speaking with the vet who checked on Scorch.

Dartscale

Original Poster
Real quick, even that yellowing in the corner of his mouth is just color? It's a bit crusty like a dried up puss or something.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Fungus really doesn't "move" under microscopic exam. I'm sceptical of the diagnosis as it doesn't appear to be fungal. Looks normal...however I don't want to dismiss the vets findings. Im not too sure what to make of it because if the vet saw fungus under the microscope I don't want to disregard that. Maybe another scraping would be more conclusive...
Because oral antifungals can be very harmful for the liver I wouldn't advise that until the diagnosis is definitive (seriously doubt that would even be a consideration anyway)

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
This is what I am treating as a fungal infection. It appeared to be thick adheared shed until I was able to remove it. Underneath it the scales were yellowish with some bleeding. Because it is around the eyes it it also appeared to infect the eyes. I'll try to post pictures of how it looks now that I have been treating it with colloidal silver and topical antifungals. I just debrided it tonight with an abrasive pad and reapplied the topical antifungals so don't want to remove it for a picture until I really need to. The infection has dramatically improved since I started treating it as fungal. Sorry the picture is blurry...it's an expanded picture...so didn't turn out very clear. I also had to amputate about 0.5" of its tail because it was also infected. It's healing up well without signs of infection.
[ximg]85426 3807735830[/ximg]

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Dart, I don't see anything crusty around his mouth. Can you get closer pics of it ? If there is a bit of something there are you sure it's not a piece of shed skin or some food ? If you Google yellow fungus disease you'll see real pictures of beardies with Y.F

Dartscale

Original Poster
Scorch shed his face over the last few days. He's not as yellow anymore and there isn't any crusty stuff in the corners of his mouth. I had stopped applying the conzol when you guys said it was just colouring. Scorch is pretty happy now.

Only thing is now he's constantly smacking himself against the glass of his habitat and being super jumpy. He won't let me pick him up to take him out, he just squirms and wiggles away to stay in his habitat. A bit worried about this since it didn't happen til after he shed.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Good to hear that he looks O.K :) His behavior might be related to hormones since he just came out of brumation and it's the breeding season. Some males become very, very restless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom