Losing weight/not eating much

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jtjlcl

Hello all. First off, Lighting, heat and cage discussed and all okay. I haven't posted in a while. Gonzo is doing pretty good. Very active, running around, jumping, she's a funny girl and very smart. She hasn't been eating very well at all. Has not touched any fruit or vegetables for months. This month she has only ate a few Dubias and a few crickets (maybe 12) along with some Phoenix worms (about 20). Not very many though. I wasn't concerned about her not eating in the past because she never lost weight but now she is. She is approx. 11 months old and 19 inches long. I think she is small for her age, not very bulky or thick like some of the other dragons I see. She was 16.75 ounces on 1/20/17 , 15.7 ounces on 2/5/17 and today 2/22/17 14.8 ounces. Should I be concerned and how can I get her to eat something. Otherwise she seems fine.
87112-5033945050.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
A 55g drop is a bit alarming. It's a good sign that she's active. It might be a good idea to bring her to the vet for a blood test to check and see if her systems are functioning properly.

Jtjlcl

Original Poster
Thanks CooperDragon,

I am concerned this time because she went months with not eating before and never lost any weight. If she's not eating she's not getting calcium or water. I give her baths and drop water on her nose but she barely licks it. She is a stubborn girl. She has licked a little squash baby food off a spoon but not much. I figured I would try that so she at least has something in her with water. She has been extremely active lately when we get her out running all over the house. I never realized what a smart animal they were. I wasn't allowing her in the kitchen so she was just sitting there as soon as I got up off the floor she charged towards the entrance to the kitchen she is so funny. She could just be being finicky on the eating. She quit eating crickets so I started with dubias as soon as I stocked up on those she quit eating them. I randomly get Phoenix worms. She will eat a lot when I first get them and then wont eat them again. I hate that because they only survive so long.

I will call the vet for a visit.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's good she is so active. Yes, they can be quite clever. I have a swinging door to my kitchen that I kept closed (to keep Darwin in until he pooped) but he figured out where to push and was able to open it on his own after a while. Keep a close eye on her weight going forward. While her activity level is encouraging, continued weight loss may indicate a hidden problem so a vet visit would be warranted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom