oval lump in left side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caleb

A couple of days ago I took my beardy to the vet for her first check-up. He said she seemed perfectly healthy, but that she had a lump in her left side shaped like an oval. It was easy to move around and had the rough shape of a baby carrot, and was (either hard or squishy I cant remember). Because of the shape, the fact that it was easily moved around, and that it was (either hard or soft) unlike an egg, he didn't think it was an egg. he said that if it was still in her after a week to reschedule an appointment for an ex-ray. it has since been four days, and the lump has moved from her intestines-area to a little under her heart (lower left to front left side). since the vet she has had only a small poop in four days, despite eating a large amount of veggies and fruits. It is worth mentioning that the vet told us that our UVB bulb was a very poor one that didn't give enough UVB, which I swapped out with a repti-sun 10.0 UVB yesterday.

beardy info:
-roughly one year old
-diet of kale, cabbage, crickets, and last week carrots (some were baby <:( ) (today a treat of apples)

tank info:

-13/13/26 inch
-reptile carpet/tile bottom
-80 degrees on cool side, 100-105 on basking area/warm side (fahrenheit)

I am very worried for her, does anyone know what this might be? (impaction maybe?)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Does your vet have a lot of experience with beardies ? I doubt that she's be impacted if she's acting fine. Adult + sub adult dragons may go 2 weeks or more without a large poo, so it may be some food in her but not anything to worry about. It's also possible that it's an egg, but you would usually feel lots of eggs, not just one.

If you want to give her some natural laxatives you can use any or all of these : baby food squash, canned pumpkin, sugar free applesauce mixed with about 1/8 th tsp. of veg. oil . Extra hydration is helpful as well so see if you can add a bit of water to any of those.
By the way, cabbage and fruit is not that good for beardies carrots only a little bit and they should be grated. The best veggies are greens like turnip, mustard, collard, dandelion arugula and some squash.

But she's probably fine, beardies have a big gut and room for lots of stuff to be floating around. If you're really worried maybe after 2-3 weeks you could do an X-ray.

By the way, how big is she ? The cage sounds extremely small.

Caleb

Original Poster
AHBD":1tnv0h3b said:
Does your vet have a lot of experience with beardies ? I doubt that she's be impacted if she's acting fine. Adult + sub adult dragons may go 2 weeks or more without a large poo, so it may be some food in her but not anything to worry about. It's also possible that it's an egg, but you would usually feel lots of eggs, not just one.

If you want to give her some natural laxatives you can use any or all of these : baby food squash, canned pumpkin, sugar free applesauce mixed with about 1/8 th tsp. of veg. oil . Extra hydration is helpful as well so see if you can add a bit of water to any of those.
By the way, cabbage and fruit is not that good for beardies carrots only a little bit and they should be grated. The best veggies are greens like turnip, mustard, collard, dandelion arugula and some squash.

But she's probably fine, beardies have a big gut and room for lots of stuff to be floating around. If you're really worried maybe after 2-3 weeks you could do an X-ray.

By the way, how big is she ? The cage sounds extremely small.

I don't know the vet's actual experience, but he was extremely comfortable/confident handling her, I mean he seemed like he knew what he was doing/talking about and gave a lot of useful information. She is about a year old, and the vet said she was "approaching maximum size," and that she may already be full grown. Yes the tank is pretty small, I'm saving/looking for a much larger terrarium about 3 times as large. If you have any recommendations for where to find suitable terrariums though, I would really appreciate it if you let me know. Thanks for the diet advice by the way.

also before the vet she was consistently pooping every two days, so this is a change for her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom