Cancer in bearded dragons?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I learned that my bearded dragon might have some type of cancer, possibly bone cancer. He still does not have a definitive diagnosis but it's looking like it might be. His is currently localized in the shoulder area, X-rays revealed no mets in any of his organs and nothing abnormal anywhere other than his left shoulder. I'm trying to gather as much information as I can about cancer in bearded dragons, so I thought I'd come here and ask for stories, comments or advice, anything is very much appreciated, thank you.

Just as a general timeline leading up to his possible diagnosis, I noticed that he wasn't putting much weight on his left arm back in late august/ early September. I didn't think much of it, he quite liked to jump off of his branch and so I figured he fell on his arm and it was sore. When it didn't seem to be getting better after a few days, I decided to make an appointment to see his vet.

On September 13, I took him to the vet and he had an X-ray and blood work done. The X-ray ruled out a fracture or anything too abnormal, the only thing the X-ray showed was a possible dislocation. Blood work showed no signs of any abnormality with his kidneys or liver, no mbd, or anything like that. So he was sent away with pain killers and forced bed rest. So I kept an eye on his arm, he never regained mobility of his left arm but it wasn't getting worse, it was stable.

Fast forward to last week, I noticed that his arm started getting swollen, worried, I called his vet and set up an appointment for today, feb 14. After an X-ray, we noticed that since the last X-ray, his shoulder had gotten a lot worse, in fact it was missing all together. The X-ray revealed that something was eating away at his bones. Now I'm just waiting to hear back from the vet to let me know if it's cancer, or an aggressive infection, but signs seem to point towards bone cancer. it's something that I never thought that I would have to deal with but he's my cuddle bug and my little boy, I'll do anything for him.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's rough news, I'm sorry to hear it =(. I hope it isn't something as severe as bone cancer and can be treated. I don't hear of that very often if at all. Infections can cause serious issues with limbs and may require amputation in some cases. In those cases the dragons seem to have a pretty good life afterwards from what I've read. My Cooper died from a neuroendocrine tumor which wasn't detected until a blood test right before he died. It wasn't something treatable though and I've seen several instances of that since. Usually indicated by incredibly high blood glucose levels. I wish I could offer more encouragement or useful advice on this one. I'm sending positive thoughts your way and hope it turns out well for him.

FaustEngelmar

Original Poster
I'm so sorry about Cooper :( it's always difficult to lose a bearded dragon, I lost 2 about 2 years ago, they were rescues and had MBD.

Faust's vet did mention possible amputation depending on the diagnosis, if that's what it takes, then that's what we will go with.

Thank you for the positive thoughts, he and I both appreciate them

FaustEngelmar

Original Poster
Got a call from his vet today. Faust has a sarcoma. Amputation would only decrease the tumor size, but given the location, it would not be removed completely. To say I am devastated is an understatement, but I plan on making his life as comfortable as possible. :( Scheduled an ultrasound to determine whether he has mets anywhere else in his body. How sad is it that cancer in reptiles is very under researched? :(

I am going through a similar situation right now. And yes, I agree there is little to no research done on reptile cancers, much less reptile behavior and medical care. Hopefully, that will change for the better in the next decade or so as herp owners increases...

This past Thursday, what was supposed to be a routine exam turns out my Gaga has a mass in her right lower abdomen. Poor girl wasn't in brumation- She is very ill this whole time since the day I adopted her. Her sleepy behavior was her not feeling well. She ate, though not much, and poops almost daily. She does wake up and stay alert and respond to me. She also likes to stretch her legs when basking. So... I thought she was just sleepy or stressed from the move since it's been only a week or so.

The vet confirmed the mass on xray and ultrasound. Blood work on liver and kidneys are normal, so that was a relief. Her anemia and infection tests were sent out to be confirmed. I also opted for a biopsy. The mass is surrounded by a lot of unknown fluid so the vet hopes her sample will give us an accurate result, she was able to pull a little bit of the mass mixed in that fluid. She removed as much fluid as possible before I picked her up. These results won't be in until next mid-week or so.

Poor Gaga. She has to be hang in there until the results are in. If benign, she will go to surgery, have it removed and hopefully live out the rest of her life without anymore pain. If not benign, I will put her down asap. So until the results come in, I treat it as it were her last and spoil her with extra insects and worms like superworms, her fav. Of course, not too many.

I am mad at her previous owners for abandoning her when she needed medical help. I am mad at myself for not going to the vet sooner.

FaustEngelmar

Original Poster
I'm sorry to hear about Gaga's mass, I hope it's benign. :(

I'm treating Faust the same way, prior to his diagnosis, his vet had told me to put him on a diet, but I've since stopped his diet and let him eat as much as he wants :(

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh I am so sorry to hear about the sarcoma. Geez, there have been a few more reports of cancer lately. I think it's the environment for one, that is causing some of it.
There was nothing that they could do & don't think removing it will help at all?
I hope Faust is hanging in there. How is his appetite doing?
I am hoping that they increase the research in this department, eventually, for reptiles. They focus primarily on mammals & livestock.
When is the ultrasound? Maybe they will see a bit more. It would be nice if they could fully remove it though, but they are not confident in that?

Tracie

FaustEngelmar

Original Poster
I'll have the clinic email me the x-ray, but the location of the sarcoma makes it impossible to fully remove. It's in his shoulder area, and it already claimed his clavicle. The ultrasound is on the 24th of Feb, and will determine whether he has any tumors anywhere else in his body, although the x-ray did not indicate that he has any. His blood work also came back normal as far as his organ functions goes.

He's been eating well, in fact, aside from his swollen arm, he hasn't shown many signs of illness. His vet said that his arm and part of the tumour could be removed, but there's a chance that the remaining parts of the tumour can be stimulated and end up growing faster and larger.

FaustEngelmar

Original Poster
Just came back from the vet after his ultrasound, and it's given me hope. He has no tumors anywhere else in his body, and his sarcoma seems to be travelling down his arm as opposed to into his chest so surgery is an option. The only challenge would be preserving enough skin to close the site. But his vet might be able to remove the whole tumor. That's the best news I could have gotten considering.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Wow, yeah that is encouraging. Fortunate it isn't traveling into his chest and doesn't appear to have spread. Gives you time to strike and hopefully get rid of it.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Did the vet biopsy the suspected cancer? It is only way to diagnose cancer. My first thought when reading your original post was osteomyelitis, it can destroy bone tissue.

FaustEngelmar

Original Poster
She did yes, she did a fine needle aspiration on the 14th and I got the results last Friday confirming the cancer :(

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Drat!! I was hoping a biopsy wasn't done which would have given us all hope there was a possibility the diagnosis was wrong. But an aspiration biopsy works for a definitive diagnosis.

FaustEngelmar

Original Poster
Faust's amputation/tumor removal surgery is scheduled for Wednesday March 8, if you guys could keep him in your thoughts, he and I would very much appreciate it. I'm trying to remain positive and hopeful that the surgery will be successful and that he'll make it out ok, but you know, there's always lingering doubt and worries in the back of my head.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom