How to tell if a dragon is too thin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spyrosmom

89721-2701636572.jpg
I know I've been posting a lot, but suddenly Spyro looks thin to me. Am I being paranoid? I feel like I can see the bones at the base of his tail and his head isn't as meaty as it was. I know his stomach looks nice and big because he's flat, but is everything else normal?

Mordecai

Juvie Member
You can keep track of his weight. I use a kitchen scale to keep track. That way you can notice weight loss before you start to see it. Hope this helps. And I'm not seeing any hip bones :)

Varalidaine

Juvie Member
It's always best to use a kitchen scale to do regular weight checks on your animals. Much weight loss can be tracked before being seen. It's hard to tell from the photo, but are the fat pads on his head indented? A picture of the side of his head would be helpful, to see how thick his fat pads are.

Spyrosmom

Original Poster
Mordecai":2p4t7ojy said:
You can keep track of his weight. I use a kitchen scale to keep track. That way you can notice weight loss before you start to see it. Hope this helps. And I'm not seeing any hip bones :)
Thank you. Maybe I'm just being a little crazy because I'm about to leave him for 5 days with my parents and want to make sure he's in top condition before I go. I a worrier when it comes to him

Varalidaine

Juvie Member
Hmm...it looks like maybe his fat pads on his heads are lightly indented? You should be able to tell better in person. Overall, I'd say he looks okay but get a kitchen scale to monitor his weight the next 2-3 weeks and get a fecal sample tested for parasites. Parasites would likely be the most common cause of weight loss.

Spyrosmom

Original Poster
Varalidaine":3vjpjopt said:
Hmm...it looks like maybe his fat pads on his heads are lightly indented? You should be able to tell better in person. Overall, I'd say he looks okay but get a kitchen scale to monitor his weight the next 2-3 weeks and get a fecal sample tested for parasites. Parasites would likely be the most common cause of weight loss.

Wait. So I called my herp vet in the area and it's going to be $160 for a first time visit and parasite check. It's a little pricey, but I'd be willing to pay if he needed it. I'm just wondering. I read something about fenbendazol. Could I treat Spyro with it over the counter and just monitor him for a couple of weeks and see if it helps?

Mordecai

Juvie Member
It's not good to treat him if he isn't sick. I would just track his weight and see. Can you take a real close up of his head and tail.

Spyrosmom

Original Poster
Mordecai":mzhm01nh said:
It's not good to treat him if he isn't sick. I would just track his weight and see. Can you take a real close up of his head and tail.
Ohhh. Whoever wrote what I was reading recommended preventative treating twice a year, before the dragon got sick. I thought it was something you could do like heartworm medication for dogs. I'll take some pictures real quick.

Mordecai

Juvie Member
I'm just going off of what I have read on here and they say that medicine is hard on there systems and you want to make sure you know what you treating. I don't know what the med you mentioned is for but I wouldn't give it to Spyro unless a Dr said to. Just my opinion.

Mordecai

Juvie Member
I'm no expert. Maybe see If AHBD or Cooper dragon
Chime in or PM them. I think they would be more helpful. I'm new and don't want to give wrong info.

Spyrosmom

Original Poster
Mordecai":y80sxn4v said:
I'm no expert. Maybe see If AHBD or Cooper dragon
Chime in or PM them. I think they would be more helpful. I'm new and don't want to give wrong info.
Thanks for your help either way. That's how I usually am too. I wouldn't give my dogs meds unless the doc recommended it so I guess I should have the same mindset with Spyro. I DID find a cheaper vet so he has an appointment this afternoon either way. They'll tell me everything I need to know I'm sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom