Possible signs of MBD, Need some advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MostBeast

I noticed recently that my girl is showing signs of MBD. Her appetite lowered, she's gotten lazier and doesn't perk up and bask like usual. What sealed the deal today is that I picked her up and bathed her and when I went to put her back she moved with twitchy jerky motions. Now I'm really worrying. Her conditions are near perfect.

I use an Exo-Terra Repti Glo 10.0 UVB that spans 3/4 of the tank and it is not covered by anything and is about 6 inches away from her when she basks. Her spot is always 99-104F, warm side 90ish, cool side is 80. I feed her dubia that I breed and she almost always refuses salad, but I'm not too worried as she's about 9 months old. The dubia get dusted with calcium without D3 and probably eat better than I do.

I can post some pictures of her when I get home later but she just looks like a normal dragon, there's nothing visibly wrong other than she's not perked up. Any help would be great. I can't think of anything else other than MBD but that just wouldn't make sense. Thank you in advance!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
There is a slight possibility but that would be from over-use. Some people offer insects that are heavily dusted like powdered donuts but the idea is just a light coating on one meal a day as beardies are growing. As adults you only dust them 1-2X a week with D3 and once without.

Beardies that spend a lot of time in natural sun don't actually need supplemental D3 but the bulbs we use are not powerful enough that we should leave out the D3 powder.

MostBeast

Original Poster
AHBD":3rjgnpxx said:
There is a slight possibility but that would be from over-use. Some people offer insects that are heavily dusted like powdered donuts but the idea is just a light coating on one meal a day as beardies are growing. As adults you only dust them 1-2X a week with D3 and once without.

Beardies that spend a lot of time in natural sun don't actually need supplemental D3 but the bulbs we use are not powerful enough that we should leave out the D3 powder.

So D3 should clear this issue up? I just hope this doesn't get worse

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It may as long as there are no other problems. It wouldn't hurt to have a fecal test done as well, but the lethargy + shakiness sounds more like calcium deficiency. If you live in a warm area [ how happy you must be if you do :) ] then getting her in the sun can help if it's a D3 problem.

MostBeast

Original Poster
AHBD":137bjcaa said:
It may as long as there are no other problems. It wouldn't hurt to have a fecal test done as well, but the lethargy + shakiness sounds more like calcium deficiency. If you live in a warm area [ how happy you must be if you do :) ] then getting her in the sun can help if it's a D3 problem.
What would be an okay temp? I'm in South texas so it gets 80 as a high. That seems good enough?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Perfect ! If you have a yard just sit out in the grass with her since she can't move fast enough to get away from you. You might also consider something like this if it works for you. Of course you'd supervise , I'm not sure what animals or insects you might have to be careful of.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjIjJLDgLvRAhXr1IMKHb7aDVoQFghqMAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.drsfostersmith.com%2Fproduct%2Fprod_display.cfm%3Fpcatid%3D22274&usg=AFQjCNH2MPnRk8GhEP82_Px-lUGRx7zMzg&sig2=kxNBwE4pOZTBMKUqS4SGWw

And if she's not eating well you might look in to liquid calcium....that website might sell it, if not one of the mods, [ Drache613 ] has it on her website.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carsed
Top Bottom