Bearded won't go on his basking rock

Status
Not open for further replies.

amr17

Hi,
I'm new to this forum, and also have had my first bearded dragon for only a few months! He seems very healthy, but I am concerned that lately he will not stay on his basking rock. Normally after he eats he will lay out on his rock and digest, but lately he immediately goes under the rock to his hide spot. He does adventure his tank throughout the day, he has a hammock and a branch under the UVB which he lays out on, but never on top of the rock. I'm wondering if it is too hot? I have the temp gauge a few inches over the rock and it is reading 104 degrees, I'm assuming closer to the rock it's right about 100? Is that too hot for the basking spot? Or are there other reasons anyone is aware of why he will not stay on his rock? Right in front of the rock there is a dig box and he will lay out on the edge of that, it's slightly out of the light. Should I try a lower wattage basking light? It's a 150 in 40gallon tanks!

Thanks for the help in advance!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
The surface of the rock may be considerably warmer than you think, hence beardie wont go there.

How did you measure the basking spot temperature ?

best to get surface temperatures accurately using a thermometer like this http://www.dshop.com.au/buy/infrared-non-contact-thermometer-with-laser-aimpoi/GM300?gclid=Cj0KEQiAqdLDBRDD-b2sv6-i6MsBEiQAkT3wAn0oU5f79x98dWmnDIMUU9eknnuk58WT_n8bDf4R5W8aAsIP8P8HAQ

the smaller the spot ratio the better (mine has a 18:1) , cheaper models have 10:1 and 12:1 which means if 12:1 the diameter of the spot being measured at 12cm is 1cm diameter, and you get the average temperature for that spot area.

amr17

Original Poster
Thank you, that's very helpful ! I don't have anything to measure surface temperature, just a standard temperature gauge that hangs on the back of the tank. I will look into that!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
amr17":3gx4lziy said:
Thank you, that's very helpful ! I don't have anything to measure surface temperature, just a standard temperature gauge that hangs on the back of the tank. I will look into that!

If it's one of those dial analog types , they are hopelessly inaccurate , can be out by more than 20%.

The current temperature gauge only give air temp, and is probably also too distant from the basking spot to be in a hope of giving a good temp reading even if it were accurate. This is why I use a brace of digital thermometers who have probes on the end of cable about 1m long & an laser thermometer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom