Baby bearded dragon sleeping a lot ? Please help

Status
Not open for further replies.
A little over a month ago my baby bearded dragon had got bitten on the head by a small bearded dragon . There was a little hole on his head from the bite. Things didn't look good at first but I put some ointment on it that prevents infection , I still rub it on his head till this day. His eyes had swelled shut from being bit but his eyes are now normal & altogether he seemed to be doing good. Something I've noticed tho is all this baby bearded dragon does is sleep! Like 90% of the day he's sleeping ! When he's awake he runs around his tank, he eats everyday , goes to the bathroom normally. Another thing is he also hasn't peeled since he got bitten. I'm worried about that too . Can anyone tell me why he sleeps so much? Is it bc he's a baby. ? Or could he be sick ? I'm afraid he's dying ?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I hope he isn't dying. Has his beard been black at all?
Please review your tank set up with again too.
Has his head healed up?
Is he eating anything at all?
If he isn't eating, you can intervene & start feeding him chicken or turkey baby food, mixed with sweet potato or squash. Use a plastic syringe or dropper & drip it onto the end of his nose. He should like the taste & lick it off of his nose.is he losing weight?
Post some pictures if you have some of him.

Tracie

Stitch4012

Original Poster
His beard hasn't been black . His head isn't in bad condition, but I can still see where he got bit. He does eat , he eats lettuce & crickets . Here's a picture of his tank & of him . His head looks black bc the soil sticks on the medicine . As you can see his eyes are closed . The whole time I hold him he barely opens his eyes ..
89580-5628904779.jpg
89580-2808873630.jpg
89580-9457017355.jpg

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Stitch4012":2qn2crjx said:
His beard hasn't been black . His head isn't in bad condition, but I can still see where he got bit. He does eat , he eats lettuce <<< lettuce is a very poor food choice.
& crickets . Here's a picture of his tank & of him . His head looks black bc the soil sticks on the medicine . As you can see his eyes are closed . The whole time I hold him he barely opens his eyes ..
89580-5628904779.jpg
89580-2808873630.jpg
89580-9457017355.jpg

First up - get rid of the black soil you are using for his bedding, it's a huge impaction risk should he accidentially eat it stuck to his food.
And it's virtually impossible to keep the tank hygienic with that stuff as his bedding.
Replace with either loose laid ceramic tiles and or paper towelling or newsprint.

2nd - you need to take him to see a vet as a matter of urgency so the vet can examine his injury, clean it up if it's full of puss, and get him onto antibiotics if he needs them , this also is important because if he's been bitten by a cat there are nasty germs on a cat's teeth that are very hard to kill off.
Since he's already showing he's sick, any infection he has got a powerful grip on him and he will not recover without a vet's help.

What are the tank temps :
>>> basking spot temp ?
why isn't the hide under the basking light ? since you have no higher perches for him near the lamp.
>>> warm zone temp ?
>>> cool zone temp ?
>>> how long are his basking and UV light on each day ?
>>> overnight temps he's exposed to ?

What UV lighting do you have ? Insufficient UVA will result lethargy and a lack of apetite. Insufficient UVB will result in poor metabolisation of dietary calcium to VitD and poor bones and stunted growth.
If he's too cold he can't metabolise his food and will be very lethargic.

what is that red pellet like stuff in the bowl ?

Are you feeding him live crickets and other HIGH QUALITY feeder insects at least twice per day?
I'd be feeding him these THREE times per day , as many as he'll eat.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Stitch4012":2e184z15 said:
A little over a month ago my baby bearded dragon had got bitten on the head by a small bearded dragon . There was a little hole on his head from the bite. Things didn't look good at first but I put some ointment on it that prevents infection <<< exactly what ointment ? who advised you use it ?
, I still rub it on his head till this day. His eyes had swelled shut from being bit but his eyes are now normal & altogether he seemed to be doing good. Something I've noticed tho is all this baby bearded dragon does is sleep! Like 90% of the day he's sleeping ! When he's awake he runs around his tank, he eats everyday , goes to the bathroom normally. Another thing is he also hasn't peeled since he got bitten. I'm worried about that too . Can anyone tell me why he sleeps so much? Is it bc he's a baby. ? Or could he be sick ? I'm afraid he's dying ?

Stitch4012

Original Poster
It's neosporin & actually a reptile vet is the one who told me to put that on his head . The food in his bowl is food I bought from a pet store. I'm considering that the heat could have something to do with this bc the highest I've ever seen his tank is like 90 . I plan on getting a new one with a higher wattage. Also he's always so thirsty, I spray him twice a day. I'm thinking he could also be dehydrated. I mean this might sound bad but if he's already getting ready to die I don't wanna take him to the vet. Bc if they can't save him then I'd just be wasting my money . I really want him to pull thru

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Stitch4012":g3npnlhj said:
It's neosporin & actually a reptile vet is the one who told me to put that on his head . The food in his bowl is food I bought from a pet store. <<< keep those pellets to feed to the feeder insects , it's worthless as a food source for hatchling especially a sick hatchling.
I'm considering that the heat could have something to do with this bc the highest I've ever seen his tank is like 90 <<< 90oF is a bit on the low side (FOR THE BASKING SPOT) . I plan on getting a new one with a higher wattage. <<< or move the hide under the basking lamp so he can get a few inches or more closer to the existing basking lamp where it will be several degrees warmer. Also he's always so thirsty, I spray him twice a day. I'm thinking he could also be dehydrated. I mean this might sound bad but if he's already getting ready to die I don't wanna take him to the vet. Bc if they can't save him then I'd just be wasting my money <<< it's your money and you aren't a vet , so the small fee for a vet to examine him and maybe take some blood and poo samples is not much to pay to save a beloved pet . I really want him to pull thru

Have you removed that horrible dirt you are using for your bedding ?
.... you should do this immediately IMO and simply replace it with loose laid wall or floor tiles or paper towelling or newsprint or butcher's paper. You are risking his eating dirt particles and dying a horrible painful death because he become severely impacted (can't poo at all)

I think you need to get hold of some HerpaBoost or Reptiboost , and some CalciVet solution, a feeder syringe and maybe also Critical Care for Carnivorous Reptiles in order to try to build your sick little hatchling up and help it become active and healthy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom