Stressed Baby Beardie Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

killerkarra

Hello all, I brought home a baby beardie from work (Petsmart) about a week and a half ago, and I've been noticing that he has pronounced stress marks all over his belly most of the time he's in his cage, and they usually fade when he comes out of his cage. He also spends a lot of time with his eyes closed, which is strange to me because my other bearded dragon never has her eyes closed unless she's sleeping. He sometimes seems like he has trouble seeing crickets, too. I've had to feed him in a separate container because he doesn't ever seem interested in hunting when he's in his cage. The last I measured him, he was 5 1/2 inches long, and he's currently in a 10 gallon tank. Unfortunately I don't have the equipment yet to properly take the temperature of his basking spot, but I do know that he has access to a spot that should be at or above 100 degrees. I have used 2-3 different UVB bulbs with him trying to see if that makes any difference. He never basks though, he's always down lower in the tank. It almost seems like he purposefully avoids temperatures above 85 degrees. Could his tank be too big? Too small? Or could there be something else wrong? Please, any advice is welcome!

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
It is hard to get the proper heat gradients in a 10gal aquarium. It most likely too hot for him and, it sounds like you are lacking uvb because you didn't mention it. PROPER uvb is very important to dragons, it allows them to metabolize the nutrients from their food among other things. Those coil type bulbs that your employer pushes cause eye problems..ei. Infections, blindness or eye irritation. The long tube type like the 10.0t8 or 10.0t5 bulbs are the closest thing to what they actually need. The Reptisun 10.0 t5 HO or an Arcadia 12%D3 Are the best on the market IMO!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom