Help? Our Beardie is losing weight

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeahM

We got our Bearded Dragon about two months ago he is 3 years old (a friend of ours wasn't giving him the time and care he needed). Over the last few days we have noticed he is losing weight. We are positive he doesn't have parasites, he is eating normal and pretty active so I honestly don't think its Brumation... Any idea what may be causing the weight loss?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
LeahM":1od6asg8 said:
We got our Bearded Dragon about two months ago he is 3 years old (a friend of ours wasn't giving him the time and care he needed). Over the last few days we have noticed he is losing weight. We are positive he doesn't have parasites, he is eating normal and pretty active so I honestly don't think its Brumation... Any idea what may be causing the weight loss?

Run down on his lighting, tank temps, lighting schedule and feeding schedule and what and when is he being fed ?

Weight loss may be just have been a huge poo , has he pooed since you started weighing him ?

LeahM

Original Poster
He eats around the same time every day around 4pm... he actually hasn't been having many bowel movements.. We've been keeping up with temps and all looks pretty normal, however lighting we are actually a little confused on- been trying to do my research on it to make sure we are doing everything right (the guy we got him from wasn't even using UV bulbs of any sort, but was using a plain amber bulb as a type of UV so we had to buy and replace a lot of things when we first got him)... just found this site a week ago, and finally got around to register.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
LeahM":2zn61cvl said:
He eats around the same time every day around 4pm... he actually hasn't been having many bowel movements.. We've been keeping up with temps and all looks pretty normal, however lighting we are actually a little confused on- been trying to do my research on it to make sure we are doing everything right (the guy we got him from wasn't even using UV bulbs of any sort, but was using a plain amber bulb as a type of UV so we had to buy and replace a lot of things when we first got him)... just found this site a week ago, and finally got around to register.

UVA enhances appetite, your UV light needs to be "desert" rated (ie a minimum of 10%UVA (30%UVA).

What are you feeding him ?

Is he drinking anything ?

I suspect if he's not eating he may have a health issue , perhaps he's impacted (you say he's not pooing).

Can you post some pictures of his set up, lighting, and of him ?

LeahM

Original Poster
We are feeding him different things, trying to give him a bit of variety- we have fed him carrots, butternut squash, little bit of bellpepper, cucumber, cilantro, items like that. He gets 6 large crickets two to three times a week. He eats regularly and has a pretty good appetite. We've noticed he wont eat out of his bowl, he will only really eat if we hand feed him... I've been trying to keep an eye on bowel movements, and I think he has bowel movements once every 3 days? I'm not really sure how to post pictures on here, but if I can figure it out, I sure will! Also, he falls into a deep sleep during his soakings... is that normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom