What the heck just came out of my baby's nostrils?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RachelG

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Frank Ocean
Our baby, Lenny was given to us on November 28th. He was a surprise gift to my son from a grandparent, who purchased him from petsmart, so who knows how old he (or she) actually is... but this was the day we got him
89494-5776657802.jpg
And this is just today
89494-6994108539.jpg
Gosh, they grow so fast!

Today, while his Viv was being cleaned, I took him outside to enjoy the unseasonably warm Texas weather.
89494-3496667827.jpg
It was 79 sunny degrees. Less than 48 hours ago, it was 19 degrees, but that's Texas for you...

Anyway, we came it, gave him a drink from the faucet, and he pooped mid-slurp so we went up to have a bath before replacing him in his clean viv. During the bath, his nose shed ring was looking crusty, so I gave it a teensy wipe and this THING came out! I am a paramedic and I immediately thought that I'd displaced the tiniest NPA (nasopharyngeal airway) in the universe, because that's what it looked like, and that's where it came from.
89494-8160389429.jpg
89494-1288161194.jpg

Naturally, I checked his other nostril, and the exact same thing happened!
89494-1773470249.jpg
What is this?!?! Is it shed? Could this be weather/humidity related?
89494-3319513290.jpg
89494-2107346971.jpg
He seems proud of them!

His tank temps are maintained perfectly, BUT I have had a little difficulty controlling the humidity this week because of the crazy weather. Usually the humidity is between 30-35%, but this morning it was at 41% until I turned on the AC. This is the first time humidity has been above desert range for him, but the nostril objects are kind of worrying me. All I can think of is shed or a respiratory infection. He has zero other symptoms, and eats, cuddles, poops and basks happily. What do you all think?

Skipper7

Juvie Member
Hahahaha! We've all had this same exact response at one time or another. It is 100% normal. They shed the inside of their nasal cavities!

EDIT: Sorry, posted at the same time as the previous poster.

RachelG

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Frank Ocean
Thank God! Thank you all! I'm definitely keeping them. I'll make a baby book or something... "baby's first nasal cavity shed" haha.

This is so funny, about a week ago I went through the same thing...I thought he had boogers so I used a cotton ball to wipe them and those came out...I panicked!
Then I was looking at them and realized that he had just shed his nasal passage skin. Haha the pic where your guy looks proud of them is the same reaction my Skim had, it's probably relief at being able to breath without that in there!

RockysMom

Hatchling Member
RachelG":1wzm1a7w said:
Thank God! Thank you all! I'm definitely keeping them. I'll make a baby book or something... "baby's first nasal cavity shed" haha.

Ha ha! Love the baby book idea! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom