Need advice on a rescued dragon with MBD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laurierrt

Hello all! I will be picking up a dragon later today with what appears to be fairly advanced MBD. I haven't seen him in person yet, so its hard to say for certain. I am told he has difficulty moving around, with some weakness in his hind limbs. Estimated age is around 1yr, again not certain. I haven't dealt with this condition before. I will get him into the vet ASAP, of course. I am looking for recommendations on how to best support his health and to help him be comfortable in his enclosure. My plan, until he is seen by the vet, is to get a MVB on him for UVB and heat and to provide plenty of calcium/D3 supplementation with his greens and reptiworms. Is there anything else I should be doing for him? What can I expect in terms of recovery of function/prognosis, in your experiences? I'll try to post pictures when I have him situated. Thanks in advance for the advice!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Lighting is going to be very important. I suggest getting a good T5 tube and fixture w/reflector and set it about 10-12'' above the basking area for best output. Try to make things relatively flat for more easy access. You may want to consult with the vet about offering liquid calcium supplement which can be absorbed more easily in some cases. You'll need to get correct dosages though. Offer a nice varied diet with calcium rich veges such as collard and turnip greens among other items.

This is a good option for lighting.
This fixture https://www.amazon.com/Sunblaster-NanoTech-Fixture-Reflector-SunBlaster/dp/B018WLSDMK
With this bulb http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-ReptiSun-10-0-Lamp/dp/B00AQU8HAO/

This would be a nice set as well and would provide a very bright enclosure (so you'll want to build some shade areas as well) http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/24...arcadia-12-and-6-5k-day-light-bulbs-included/

Laurierrt

Original Poster
Thank you! I will check out those lights. My new dragon buddy looks pretty sad. He is very weak, especially on the back legs. His jaw certainly has some minor malformation. He does twitch. On the positive side, he gobbled down greens and reptiworms dusted with calcium. And he is much more active than I imagined he would be. He drags himself around the viv surprisingly fast, appears alert and interested in his new surroundings.
As I look at him, I truly wish people would do their research before bringing home any new pet (bearded dragon or otherwise). I hate to think how he suffered.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm glad he has a good home now. He'll probably never get around as well as other dragons but I think he will have a very happy life with you.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor thing, I am glad he has a nice home with you now! It is too bad he wasn't taken care of properly though. At least he is eating & trying to be active even if he can't get around very well.
Which UVB light are you going to go with? Both brands are great. The T5 high output tube bulbs are terrific.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Laurierrt

Original Poster
I think I'm going to go with the Arcadia setup. For the moment he is under a mercury vapor bulb, which he seems to love. He lays there in complete contentment! I upgraded his housing to a much larger viv yesterday, since he is very active. Yesterday was also bath day. Sadly, as soon as I immersed him in water, the smell of cigarette smoke just seeped out of him. :( I also discovered a small reddened area near one of his back feet. I believe this may be to the fact that he sometimes has it folded under when he scoots around. Dabbed a bit of raw honey on it and will make sure to point it out to the vet. All in all, I think he is settling in ok.
Thanks for the comments and support. Pics coming!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

He is a cutie pie! He looks very content right now. :D
Which mercury vapor bulb are you using right now? The Arcadia bulbs either tube or mercury vapor are terrific so your choice of that particular brand is excellent.
Is he eating very well right now?
I hope the raw honey helps out his little foot, poor guy. Keep us posted on him.

Tracie

Laurierrt

Original Poster
I'm using a Solar-Glo at the moment. His foot is actually looking much better today, less red. I gave him another warm soak and gently massaged all his feet and legs. He had a bit of retained shed I was able to get off. And the smoke smell is very much reduced. He's been eating his greens and bugs like a champ, even with me dusting them heavily.
Thanks for all the support!

Laurierrt

Original Poster
Just a little update on my rescue..... He finally has a name! Eugene Dragonpants (adopted brother of Carl Dragonpants) Gene will be visiting the vet after the New Year holiday, so I will have a better idea of where he is health-wise. He is still very underweight, but now that he is getting a proper diet I should start to see some improvements! I've been giving fairly regular baths, to help rid him of the smoke smell and of areas of retained shed. So far both have improved greatly!
Here's Gene cuddling after a soak!
89043-1420681253.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Good thing he's in a caring home now. :) A good appetite is a very good sign and I think he'll do well with your good care. He's really not that much underweight, his legs + tail base aren't too thin. Be careful that you don't over-feed him , extra weight in his condition will actually do more damage then good and will affect his mobility. Most beardies that are over fed by well meaning owners turn in to couch potatoes and can end up with heart, kidney, liver and joint problems.

One more little side point, after a soak a dragon should be patted dry + put straight back in the tank with heat. They become chilled because a towel doesn't warm them....they can't generate their own heat.

Laurierrt

Original Poster
Gene Dragonpants is doing quite well. He has started liquid calcium and I think his movements are becoming a little more coordinated, especially when he moves slowly. When he travels quickly, he mostly just flails around. He is curious and likes to explore. He also likes his down time.
Here's Gene looking all proper. I love how he crosses his hands.
89043-6777643398.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom