when is too young to separate siblings M & F ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Toothless was very good today .... another spray of HerpaShed on his tail after he had good feed of yummy silkworms , superworms and crickets , and he went straight to the kitchen , big radar tail and bright "happy colours" , no mad dashing about , he was happy enough to take up station under the dining table , sit there and chill.

Think Cheakie got a fright from Toothless , as she appeared and trotted across the lounge-room carpet from the kitchen a minute or two after Toothless arrived in the kitchen. She's very chubby now !!! can't be long before she gives birth .
Pretty sure she came back inside yesterday as I heard something scratching behind the corner module.

Peppa , is just about done shedding now, last of the old skin is off here toes and fingers and face now , just a bit on her lower legs --sprayed with HerpaShed . She also enjoyed her wormy feast , and then wanted off onto the chair next to me , but soon changed her mind and climber back onto me for her customary daddy snuggle.

According to my records both were in shed on their 1st birthday too.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
So I wonder if Toothless perceives the floral designs on the bowels as something that might be edible? :?

We have some towels with floral designs on them that we use for our beardie, but he doesn't seem to perceive them as anything other than something warm and fuzzy to take a nap with.

So Cheakie's pregnant? I guess you're going to have a bunch of little lizards running around pretty soon...

Sounds like Peppa and Toothless had a very nice birthday. :D

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
SHBailey":3u4xr0fa said:
So I wonder if Toothless perceives the floral designs on the bowels as something that might be edible? :? <<< I bet that's exactly what he's doing , he sees yellow flowers and thinks YUM !!!

We have some towels with floral designs on them that we use for our beardie, but he doesn't seem to perceive them as anything other than something warm and fuzzy to take a nap with.

So Cheakie's pregnant? I guess you're going to have a bunch of little lizards running around pretty soon...

Sounds like Peppa and Toothless had a very nice birthday. :D

Well I have what may very well be a pregnant water skink on my hands now , who my wife rescued her this afternoon (she though she was dead til she picked her up to peut her in a tub to bring her to me to check , yet to give her a name, maybe if she makes it through the night and survives and recovers.
She's currently (temporarily ??) blind - eyelids are glued shut. See viewtopic.php?f=6&t=238063

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Peppa has discovered a new favourate worm, she loves BSF lavae.

Peppa is nearly finished with her shedding - just her hands and fingers to finish now.

Meanwhile Toothless seems to think they are yucky .... ate one from fingers and refused to eat more , everyone BSF lavae after that was immediately spat out.

Toothless is finished with his shedding and enjoyed a nice long daddy snuggle this afternoon - about 45mins and even closed his eyes and dozed off on me .

George & Mildred my old / pet bluetonges love them .

Fluffy ( the rescued water skink in the previous post ) is coming along very nicely, she's been in my care for 1 week now and I've been applying diluted manuka honey to her sore infected eyes and they are improving faster than I expected, she's definitely not blind, she responds to bright light when she's asleep (late at night) and is now starting to show curiousity about her surroundings.
I'm hoping this time next week she'll no longer need assist feeding using a syringe and will be catching and eating small silkworms & BSF lavae ( I ordered these in specially for her ).

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
BSFL are supposed to be very nutritious, so it's good that at least Peppa likes them. Hopefully Fluffy will like them too, when she's ready for something more solid and now that her eyes are better so she'll be able to see what she's eating.

We tried them with our beardie and we're not sure if he liked them or not. :? He's a lousy shot with his tongue and I think they're too small of a target for him, and he gets frustrated and gives up, but my husband thinks he doesn't like the taste of them. I tried serving them in a big pile so that he gets one even if he misses the one he's aiming for, but with mixed results. So we're probably not going to order them again -- with the small amounts we get for one beardie along with the relatively short shelf life, we end up paying twice again what they're worth for shipping to Alaska, so not worth it, especially when he seems to do better with crickets and roaches anyway, and those are available locally. But I think they're a great feeder if you can order them in bulk and if your beardies (and/or other lizards) like them.

Sounds like Peppa and Toothless are getting more comfortable and back to normal(?) now that they're done with most of their shedding, and have the hormones settled down now that it's getting a little later in the season?

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
At least it doesn't sound like Toothless has anything contagious. I'm still hoping it turns out to be nothing worse than a bad case of indigestion.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
I expected to get up and find he'd passed away over night.

Toothless just passed away while I was comforting him , was horrible to see his last minute or two (with his tensing up every muscle in his body in a couple of horrible spasms).

He died surrounded by his special people , being comforted and in familiar surroundings and with some dignity.

RIP my specially little boy.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Peppa knows something is up , she wanted down before I had a chance to feed her, and went looking at all of Toothless' usual spots. Of cause she may have been trying get away from the syringe full of 0.4ml of olive oil (no poo from her for 10 days) , but this is quite normal for her.

She's now having a customary long afternoon daddy snuggle now she's had a feast of crickets and medium size (2in) silkworms.

Mildred my old lady Bluetongue Skink was also looking all over the place too , she was definitely in search mode looking for Toothless' scent trail . George was looking up at Toothless' tank , he usually has floor time with Toothless and his has lost his beardie buddy now.

I am very glad I still have her and the skinks to care for, now Toothless is dead and they give me a focus rather than dwelling on the "what iffs" and "beating myself up" and wondering if I could have done more and maybe saved Toothless.

He looks very forlorn in his dark tank - lights and heat are turned off as is my custom for the day when my lizards die (just in case - yes I know wishful thinking - but the never go into a plastic bag and into the old freezer pending burial until they show rigor mortis or start smelling).

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Peppa has been uberclingy , she has not wanted to leave me , been pancaking on my chest all afternoon after I fed all the lizards, and when my wife took her for beardie snuggle time after diner , she didn't want to leave me at first then when she discovered she was not going back into her tank she was fine, then when she got up and mentioned "back to bed" she climbed up under her neck to say " no ! " , so she came back to me .

Edit : I was putting it off , but finally had to deal with Toothless' lifeless body , he's now double wrapped in plastic bags and in the old vertical freezer in the laundry with Rex and Wriggles. Went in there at 10pm.

I've not been able to bring myself to bury them yet and really not been able to get down the steps to front or back yards to dig a grave for each of them. And they are beyond caring.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
First day without my little spikey mischievous boy, really sinking in today, been really sad,, shed some tears when I thought about how horrible his last minutes were for him , was terrible seeing the look in his eyes while he was in his death throws , the powerlessness of not being able to help him and make it all easier for him .

I think Peppa is missing her brother as she's been really clingy and refused to leave me , been snuggling into me on my chest for hours .

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Carl
? I'm so sorry for your loss...i know I already said that, but it's worth saying again.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
At least Toothless had you and his family with him at the end. And I think I said it before but I'll say it again -- it wasn't your fault if you're having any doubts. You did everything you could.

I think your policy of leaving them to rest in their enclosure until it's a sure thing that they're dead is a good one -- I've heard a few too many horror stories about reptiles "coming back to life" after having been treated as if they were dead.

I hate to mention this, but since you still have the bodies, you might want to reconsider having necropsies done before you bury them, and share the results with the rest of us if you do, on the outside chance that you may learn something that may help prevent this from happening to other lizards in the future. I can't imagine what it would be, because you took excellent care of them, but it seems like what happened to both Rex and Toothless may have been something similar. I understand why you may hate the idea, so it's up to you to decide whether or not it's worth trying to find out.

Meanwhile, take good care of yourself and your family and the rest of your critters. And try not to dwell too much on the last few moments of his life -- so much of the rest of it was good, and you helped to make it that way for him.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Peppa was in search mode again after being fed , and after spending a little while on the floor and curling up at one of Toothless' fav spots - she went straight there.
Another long daddy snuggle and showed no interest in going anywhere.

I don't know how I feel about desecrating Rex's and Toothless' bodies by having necropsies done on both of them.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Peppa refused to get off me after her dinner of crickets & silkworms today ... climbed up to place her chin on my right collar bone and pancaked there and slept there most the afternoon , only coming off me wrapped in my T-sheet to chill on the lounge next to me while I ate my diner and then back on my chest afterwards.

I remember Rex being like this when we suddenly lost Puff (he was taken to the vet for his operation and never came home). I am sure she is missing her brother and this is her way of coping with his "disappearance" , more evidence that a lot more goes on in their heads than most give them credit for.

I am really missing Toothless too so her affection is really helping me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom