Baby Bearded Dragon problems????

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got my new baby beardie on Saturday and today he has just been sleeping all day? I fed him and he didn't want to eat I checked his poop and no parasites. I don't know he was all energetic and happy when I got him. All the lights are correct because I have another bearded dragon with the exact same lights and hes more than energetic. Could he be ready to shed or is he actually just tired?

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
They go through what's called relocation stress, it's a period of adjustment. How old is your new beardie? I know you said the lights are good but what type of UVB are you using? The brand?

If your temperatures are right, 105F at least for a baby, he could be a bit dehydrated. Do you give him baths. Babies need more frequent baths, helps them a lot. I have 5 adults, but even so, I still find, if I don't give them a bath every 3rd day, they get lethargic. So I've always found that babies do well with a 15 min bath daily in warm water. So give that a try.

You said you had another dragon and he's energetic under the lights you have, but is he a lot older than your new baby?

1alexnunez1

Original Poster
I went to a vet sort of, they specialize in reptiles and they told me he was dehydrated because the wrinkles in his skin and his sucken eyes. They told me to try and feed him wax worms because of the moisture and spray his mouth so he gets water and try to give him a little bit a pedialyte each day. They said he was really dehydrated so I'm doing just that.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I've dealt with dehydrated dragons, so here's the real scoop. They need daily baths, not just water sprayed at their mouths. You can put pedialyte in their baths full strength, 15 min soak daily. You can feed your baby a pedialyte/water mix 1:1 by syringe. Dehydration is a very serious thing in dragons, they can die from it. So do that, plus get some chicken baby food and squash baby food, mix it together and feed it to your beardie a few times a day, they need nutrition and both have a lot of water in them.

Wax worms are fine for a treat but they are 100% fat & water so not really great for babies. Better still are phoenix worms, they're small, full of calcium and good fat ratio's. The babyfood is the best for them if your little one is not eating. I've raised a couple of dragons from babies and that's what I fed them, they did well on that until they chased crickets again. I have a good vet and she's always agreed with the way I handle my rescues. Plus I've been taking care of rescued dragons since 2006 and got a lot of my knowledge from people on this forum who have been raising dragons even longer than I have.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Deb has given you some great info so following what she recommended should help your beardie out a lot.

To make sure your beardie isn't overheating, could you fill us in on the type of thermometer you're using, digital strip, round gauge (dial), temperature gun or digital thermometer with a long wire & probe end? Where exactly are you checking the temps and what are the readings for the basking & cool side?

1alexnunez1

Original Poster
Sorry to get back to you guys so late! My beardie is doing just fine, I actually have been doing the pedialyte and water force tubing. I have not heard of the baby food method! GREAT THANKS! DEFINITELY WILL BE DOING THAT :) He's getting much more active and better now, although still a bit sleepy. I'm using a dial thermometer to check his temperature. Chester is doing such much better thank you for all this help, he was so dehydrated, PetSmart sold him to me this way but I didn't want to return him I fell in love so I decided to try and help him and I have been and I got this new National Geographic Bearded Dragon Entree? It's new and it's suppose to help with dehydrated dragons so I've been giving him a little of that. The baths I've been doing everyday so far for three-four days now. 15-20 minutes each time and I make sure the water stays warm.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I'm so glad to hear he's improving. You need to get a proper thermometer to check temps, the dials are just for air temps. Accurite has a good digital therm with a probe, less expensive than a temp gun. It's absolutely important that you have the right temps for your baby, those dials are very inaccurate.

Otherwise, sounds like your little one is improving. Don't forget that dragons take awhile to improve, especially babies, and you should be letting the pet shop know that they sold you a baby that was very dehydrated, maybe you can get a credit toward a proper thermometer. It's worth letting them know that you're having to work hard to get your baby back into good health.

Keep updating, k? I'm rooting for your little guy!

1alexnunez1

Original Poster
He's actually improving a lot from what it seems. He still doesn't move quite much but his eyes are open a majority of the day and hes been eating more and more (force feeding wise) and drinking much more. His poop is a diarrhea. I would assume of all the liquids and not enough solids. Over the past days its been diarrhea but each day it seems to get a bit more solid each and everyday. Any suggestions? What do you guys think about pediolyte?

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Pedialyte is great for baby beardies. Put it full strength in his bath & you can feed it to him by syringe 1 part water to 1 part pedialyte. I would think he's dehydrated. And if his poop is more solid, then he's doing better. The Pedialyte is full of electrolytes, which is what he needs a lot at this point.

He probably has parasites but he's a bit little for harsh meds. I'd recommend also a probiotic. Benebac is a good one, it's a gel and you can probably find it at a pet shop. You put the gel on his lips for him to lick off. It's a probiotic to put good bacteria back into his gut. Acidophilus is also a great reptile liquid probiotic but you have to get it online.

I'm glad your little one is doing so much better, at some point you'll need to get a fecal sample to a vet to get it checked for parasites. A lot of babies have them, but I don't recommend you take him anywhere until he's stronger.
Good luck!

1alexnunez1

Original Poster
The diarrhea started when I found out he was dehydrated and started giving him water and wax worms along with this new National Geographic Bearded Dragon entree it's to help bearded dragons that are dehydrated. Before that, he was pooping normally. And I'll tried to find those meds! Thank you!!!

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Wax worms aren't a good idea except for treats, they're 100% fat. And I'd stop the National Geo diet, please, diarrhea just makes the dehydration worse. Let me know how he does with the pedialyte baths and benebac, too.

If you can order online, you can get liquid electrolytes as well as acidophilus or benebac online at www.bug-de-lite.com. That's where I get all my liquids. www.beardeddragon.co is another online store that sells both.

Please keep me updated. Carnivore Care is another powder that helps dragons get their appetite back and doesn't cause diarrhea. I get it from my vet, the brand name is Oxbow but again you can order it online at www.amazon.com. It's amazing stuff, gives your beardie all the nutrition it needs, herbs plus protein. So that might be a good idea to get some, too.

1alexnunez1

Original Poster
He was doing better but he keeps sleeping he's moving around more but sleeps its really strange. He's pooping but getting diarrhea it's like almost trying to get solid. I don't know I do have another bearded dragon in the cage but that's not going to cause him to sleep and have diarrhea. Also they have a board separating them I mean the big one CAN jump over but doesnt and if he does all he does is lick him and go back over to his side. I don't know it seems like he's getting better but at the same time it seems like he's not. I ordered the benebac! I'll be waiting and praying this wakes him and causes him to be active.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
You need to make sure the separator is not clear & tall enough that the big one can't get over, it will just stress the baby out. What are you feeding him now? I would really stop the Nat Geo stuff you're giving him, seems it's causing the diarrhea. It's never good when their food goes right through him. If you have the $ it would probably be good to get him to a vet, I don't like hearing that he's sleeping so much.

1alexnunez1

Original Poster
The cage seperator is not clear at all it's wood and it's tall but my lizard just isn't big, he barely fits. I'm feeding him 1:1 pediolyte and water and I only did the National food twice but he had diarrhea before that so it's a bit weird. Someone on a different forum said to give baby food so I just started doing that. I really don't know why he's sleeping so much. I really want him better it's almost been a week now.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Some beardie babies don't thrive well, when they've not been well cared for from the beginning. So when they're sick like your little one is, it takes awhile before they get better. You're doing all the right things, the Pedialyte is great to give him by syringe. You can also put it into his baths, it will help him, too.

The babyfood I've always gotten is organic butternut squash & chicken, but it would be better that he not get a lot of protein right now, it could be too much for his little body.

Do you have a reptile vet in your area? That would be where you could get Carnivore care & that would be a good thing to mix in with the veggie baby food. Just a tsp of it & a pinch of calcium daily 5 days a week, then vit/min powder, again just a pinch, 2 days a week. Mix it all up and drop it on his nose by syringe so he'll lick it up. That's what I've always done with sick beardies and it's worked for those that are strong enough to live. I'm so hoping your little one gets stronger. You can feed him the pedialyte 1:1 a few times a day, too.

Any other questions you have, just ask. What are the ingredients of the Nat Geo food? Let me know, as it might be good for him in small quantities.

I'm not sure why he has the runs, he might just not be digesting very well. So check into a reptile vet in your area, you might need to take him in for a check up & fecal test.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom