Skin problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shakti75

Hi guys, so my poor Zuma seems to not want to get over whatever this skin issue is that she has had going on for a while now. Took her to the vet twice and both times he gave her antibiotics, so before I go and take her back again, I wanted to post some pics here and see if you guys had any better ideas. It doesn't seem to bother her in the least, thankfully, but it just looks bad. She's still eating fine and seems her normal energetic self. All her living conditions are right where they should be, etc. This originally started in December as a retained shed area and it darkened up a good bit compared to the rest of her. Lots of soaking and such didn't seem to help much and then she developed a small blistered area in the center of it. That was the first time we took her to the vet. He gave her antibiotics and it seemed to help for a bit and then she accidentally scratched the scab off. Ever since then, it has just been in a perpetual state of looking either scabbed over or having a texture similar to a burn and kinda whitish in color, always with the dark area around it. The spot in the center that tends to scab up is about the size of a fingertip and then the area around it, about the size of a half dollar.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That may be a fungal infection. If it is, antibiotics are not going to help it. Can your vet do a skin scrape [ be sure NOT on the open skin part,because that's already irritated, but on the crusyt part] They usually send to a lab and then can give you a diagnosis. The recommended treatment for fungus is soaks in Betadine [ diluted to look the color of weak tea ] But if she is used to drinking in a bath, give her a clear water bath first to let her drink so she won't be thirsty and try to drink the Betadine water. Then dry off + apply Lamisil cream. If it seems to irritate her, you might try raw honey [ it must be unpasteurized, then it contains natural anti bacterial/ antibiotic properties. I will p.m Drache613 to see what she thinks. She is the resident expert.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That does look fungal.
As suggested, I would have the vet do a skin scraping of that area & culture it. Normally, it takes 7-14 days on average, to see if any fungus is present.
Which antibiotic has been given & the dose?
I would get some lamisil or monistat cream to put on that skin area, daily. As suggested you can get some betadine & dilute it to look like weak tea & bathe her daily to clean the skin before putting the cream on.
The probiotics can help to balance out the system, too.

Tracie

Shakti75

Original Poster
Thanks guys, that was what I was thinking also. The vet told me he thought it was bacterial and not fungal (something about it not showing under a black light). The antibiotic was Baytril at a dosage of 22.7 mg/mL-0.2cc per day. I just don't want to keep giving her Baytril because she has already been on it so much between this and the URI she had last year. I will go get some betadine and lamisil today and see how that goes. Thanks, guys. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom