Vet Costs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PumpkinJelly

Sub-Adult Member
Hi, i may be taking my Baby Beardie to the vet for a checkup in a few weeks and i was wondering what the average price range for a checkup (including fecal sample test) would be. Prior to the appointment i will call and ask for pricing.

I wanted to know what the average price range is for a checkup w/ fecal. I want to look around for the lowest price to save money and to make sure im not overpaying. Thanks in advance! :)

Bwalter

Sub-Adult Member
Here in Kingman, Az I have a great vet. Office visit was $40, fecal was $20, wormer was $5. All together for her visit was $78.

PumpkinJelly

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
So, do you think that's the average price that my vet will most likely be? I know you're not some price-wizard but I'm just curious whereas, trying to find the lowest price :p

Caramell

Hatchling Member
Wow, Bwalter is really lucky! The vets office that I go to charges $72 for an appointment for bearded dragons, and I paid 38 dollars for my Panacur and 36 for the fecal tests. So OP, it really does depend on where you live and the vet office itself.

PumpkinJelly

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Hmm, I can see that it really varies depending on where you live.

If I called, do you think they would give me some type of price (estimation) before I made the appointment? I really want to save money so I can focus on improving my Beardie's living space while keeping his health up at the same time.

So basically, my budget is around a hundred dollars or so.

Erimis

Call and ask- they can tell you definite on price of exam and fecal. Wormer/meds will depend on size of pet and type of drug needed. When you get to appt, you can tell them you are on a budget and need to know prices before they do tests on your beardie. You won't be the first person to say that to the vet!
FYI- exam is $46 and fecal is $26 where I work.

PumpkinJelly

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Oh okay. It's good to know. And yeah, I figured that people have asked before, I was just wondering for personal experience lol. But um, when I call (I know, I sound like a dummy. :oops:) Do I just say "I'd like to schedule a checkup and a fecal exam for my Bearded Dragon". I mean, It sounds pretty stupid now that I've said it, but I just wanna be sure :)

Erimis

That is exactly what you say!! :) I am a vet tech and I work the front desk at least once a week, I love it when people call and say what they need.
My clinic doesn't see reptiles, so I called today to set up an appt with a reptile vet. I said I just adopted a baby beardie with mild MBD and I need an exam on Tuesday. She scheduled it, then I asked the exam price. Easy peasy. ;-)

Bwalter

Sub-Adult Member
Guess I got it cheap out here. The vet clinic I go to does most any pets. I have a friend who is a vet there who sees my dog and horse. Even for my horse its $40 for the office visit. She told me about the reptile vet there so thats where I went. I can say I have a very good beardie vet. Good luck on visit.

dragonlover3

Sub-Adult Member
I guess my Vet is a saint! He specializes in exotics and his usual office visit is $50
per dragon. I told him my dragons were rescues, pretty sick and needed exams and
treatment as soon as possible. He saw both of mine on emergency first visit for only $50,
only charged me for one dragons meds but gave me enough for both of them. Every visit
since {there have been several } has been only $25, that is seeing and treating them both
each visit. And he does both their fecals and only charges me for 1at $15. One of my
dragons needed xray and comprehensive reptile panel blood work, and he gave a B1
injection to her, only charged me $175 for it all when his regular charge for xrays alone
is $86 and the blood work is $155. B1 injection $10. He gave her the B1 injection and
didn't charge me for it, my invoices have discounts marked on everything.....Wow, he
really is a saint! I'm sure he's giving me a break 'cause they were rescues! If yours
is a rescue it would be worth mentioning when you made the appointment. It makes a
difference with some Vets.
Amanda.

PumpkinJelly

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thanls guys! Its really great to hear from you all! I see some vets are more pricey than others and some vets are more generous than others.

Amanda: Does it count as a rescue if i bought him from a pet store? Lol :D You know how pet stores can be. Hahaha

dragonlover3

Sub-Adult Member
I believe it does, they are rescues from any pet store! And yes, we all know how pet stores are to our little friends!

PumpkinJelly

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Haha, It's unbelievable of those pet stores who treat their reptiles like crap! (I don't know of any personally, but I've heard some rumors about how horrible some can be!) The place I bought my Beardies from had healthy babies in an overall clean tank (Reptile carpet as substrate, nice plastic plants for hiding, a stick so all the babies could lounge on, but not sure on the lights. I couldn't see up into the fixtures). We all understand that because of limited space, some pet stores can only put their adoptable animals in small tanks that are only a few gallons, and that's fine. But when you have your adoptable animals in cold tanks with no food, fecal matter all over the floor, no lighting whatsoever, and a sickly animal living inside, that's just crossing the line. The nerve of some people to keep the animals that way just upsets me.

Thank god I do not know of any of these places, but it's unfortunate that some animals do have to suffer and stay at these places until their rescuers come and save them.

Sorry to go off topic, but I thought I'd open up a new subject to entertain us all.

Bwalter

Sub-Adult Member
Thats why I bought mine from a breeder here in my town. I put an add on craigslist for one and got a call and went to see them when they were 1 week old, then came and got my girl when they were 5-6 weeks. Very healthy and such, Did all the sesearch on beardies until I went to get her. All the beardies the people had were very healthy and nice colors. I would never buy one from a pet store, but I always look when I take my girl in there when I have to buy something for her. I feel sorry for some of them but I can't afford any more then 1.

PumpkinJelly

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I could have so easily chose to buy my beardie from a breeder, but i figured that a pet store beardie would be as good as any other beardie. Its sort of the same concept as shelter dogs, like you can get a perfectly good dog from there instead of a breeder. Life is limited in pet stores while breeders wont just get rid of their beardies so yourre helping out with the pet store beardie. I though i would end up getting a beardie with poor colors but its been seven weeks and now i have a citrus/sanfire coloringg on my one beardie (not saying he is a citrus sandfire morph but thats what he looks like) and the other one has nice lavender sidebars and an overall lighter tone. Its pretty cool! I got them both on sale too. 30 dollars each when they are originally 60 a piece.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom