Brumation or cause for concern?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaddyGeek

Juvie Member
Before I go in to this here are the specs of all of my husbandry. It is exactly the same within a degree or two in all cages. Note that all these ages are estimates based off of the size of the dragons when I got them but they may be older than I believe. I believe Bevo is brumating for sure but I am not certain about the other two because of estimated age. Also my recently acquired rescue from HowlinGaleDragons is wide awake, active and eating like a horse. She has only been here a little over a week though.

Cage Size: 4x2x2 custom wooden vivs
UVB: Reptisun 10.0's tubes all less than one month old.
Basking spot temp: 98-102 range depending on time of day.
Cool side temps: 78-86 depending on time of day.
Night time temps: just checked them and they range from 66-68 but the lights have been off for an hour. I turned the heater on tonight as well so they should not drop any lower.

Feeding on: Hornworms, supers and dubia. Salads are offered daily but they have never been fond of salads and rarely eat them.

Temperatures here in Texas have slowly declined over the last month, it is 52 degrees here tonight instead of the 85-90 it was a month ago, and I have noticed that during this time most of my dragons have come to a standstill.

Bevo is currently 16 months, 21 inches and 508 grams. As of today he has not eaten in 5 days. I offer him food and I have given him some reptaid but he literally watches his food crawl around for a minute then gets up and goes to the corner as if to say, "Just leave me alone dude." He actually turned his nose up at a hornworm and he has NEVER done that before. He just sleeps most of the day.

Rory is right at about 9 months old now. She is 17 inches and 412 grams. She will still eat but not much. Today she had 4 supers and a hornworm. The last few days she has only eaten maybe three supers each day and then she goes back and lays down. She has had bowel movements in the bath and once in her cage this week.

Peach is almost 8 months. She is 18 1/4 inches and 390 grams. For the last week or so she has at most eaten 5 supers in a sitting. Today she ate 3 supers and 2 midsized hornworms. She has had several bowel movements in her cage. She used to have a monstrous appetite but now when I open her cage to get her she tries her hardest to burrow as deep as she can under her basking structure and will only eat if I place her in her basking spot for 5 minutes then hand feed her. Then she abruptly gets down and crawls back under there to go to sleep.

So could it be brumation for all of them or should I be more concerned?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
If you look through the threads, this is asked almost every day, so you are in good company ! This is perfectly normal, your dragons are all hefty [ even though some are young, they are big because we accelerate their growth in captivity by tons of food on a platter which they would not get so easily in the wild ]and there is no reason for concern. Your temps. can drop to 60 at night with no problems, if you try to keep them too warm, it runs their metabolism higher and it's not good to get them up in the 70's at night, even the day should be much cooler. Let them do their thing.

DaddyGeek

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Okay. I was pretty sure this was just a common thing but because of their young age I was worried there might be an underlying cause but they are little porkers so I thought it may be within the realm of possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom