Help! Lost my Beardie in my house!

Status
Not open for further replies.

reillyrebekahann

Hatchling Member
I have searched EVERYWHERE.
She has been missing since 1pm yesterday. I took her out of her cage, put her on the ground and left to do some laundry. Normally she just goes to sleep under my computer desk when I let her out, but yesterday she must have actually walked around for the first time ever! I feel terrible that I wasn't paying attention to her, I'm so used to her just crawling into the same spots and sleeping that I thought she'd be fine!
I have searched under the sofa, entertainment center, computer desk, tables, dog crates-EVERYWHERE!
Does anyone know where they usually want to be or have any suggestions???
Normally for some reason she stays in dark, cold places and sleeps-but again, I've searched them all!
Is there a way you think I can lure her out or something? I would try letting a dubia run around but she isn't much of a food chaser.
She's the biggest, oldest beardie I have, yet she's the one that I lose the most!

I am very worried because I have cats and dogs and I know she won't just crawl out of wherever she is. Adventure is not a characteristic she obtains which is why I am so shocked that she moved when I left her alone.
I'm scared she's just going to stay in a dark, cold place and die.
I've learned my lesson on supervision.

ANY input appreciated.
Thank you.

MissT

BD.org Addict
Some tips I have seen over the years.
1) Try looking at everything from a beardies perspective - look for the darkest corner you can.
2) Look up - are there any curtain poles she may have climbed up too?
3) Set up a basking spot in the middle of the room you last saw her in and turn up the heating in your house - if she is sleeping, the heat will wake her and she may make her way to bask. You could also leave a cricket keeper somewhere that she might venture towards.
4) check in cupboards, under cupboards, in airvents - anywhere that has an opening that she *might* have been able to fit through - they can get themselves into such odd shapes when they really want to fit into a tight space

I have also seen people suggest putting down some flour - that way if she moves, you may see her tracks in the flour.

Hopefully she is just having an extra long snooze!

Good luck!

reillyrebekahann

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Those are some great tips that I will try!
Thank you!!

No, no luck finding her yet though }:
I read somewhere that this woman lost her beardie in her house for 5 weeks!!!!I hope this doesn't happen to me }:

Kalyn876

Sub-Adult Member
Have you searched under the large appliances?
I didn't think mine cold fit but sure enough thats where I found him..

Also you mentioned you have cats are they at all interested in her? my kitty always lets me know when a cricket escapes much less where my lizard is but he is a hunter so it's not in a good way.. I hope you find her soon!

Kalyn

CycleFly

Hatchling Member
I used to lose Vicco in the most obvious of places. He used to go around the back and climb up the xbox, surround sound and sky box because they all give off heat.
Inside shoes?
They can climb stairs pretty fast too

Turning up the heating sounds like a good idea,

LennyTheLizardKing

Juvie Member
My friends beardie survived 4 weeks outside on his own before he was located basking ontop of a bush he was last seen by, the landlord found him when they were trimming the hedges.

reillyrebekahann

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Today we took out all large appliances and searched them.
Still no luck.
:cry: :banghead: :cry:

We're going to try bumping the heat and leaving a lamp on all of the time to hopefully attract her.
I don't think this will work though, because I keep her cage pretty toasty during the day and she always just sleeps right through it.

Hopefully she'll turn up. I think the odds are better for us finding her as opposed to her crawling out of wherever she is.

Thanks for giving me hope everyone {:

Kalyn876

Sub-Adult Member
Just wanted to throw this out there: my hoodoo likes to cram himself in behind the couch cushions, maybe a quick check?

Kalyn

nicksmom

I hope you find her soon. My hedgehog has escaped her pool a couple of times. She was under the couch once and under the tv entertainment center the other time.

reillyrebekahann

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Exactly! Those are the spots that my Gilbert goes to. Those easy-to-find spots like under the entertainment center, sofa or computer desk. That's why I thought I'd have no problem leaving her alone for a few minutes. Bad move /:

My Lance escaped his cage in my backyard once and my brother found him hidden under my neighbors hedge. I still can't believe we managed to get him back!

Checked the couch: No Gilbert }:

Yeah I thought about the poop thing. She hasn't in a few days so I know she needs to. Hopefully she is warm enough.

Day 1-detailed search of the entire house
Day 2-moved out all appliances and checked under/inside them.
Day 3-?

reillyrebekahann

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
D': Just found the last picture I took of her.

cd57605ec9eb__1317661376000.jpg

Kalyn876

Sub-Adult Member
Do you happen to have the old style radiator heaters? Just throwing things out there as I look around my own house.

Closets?
Under blankets/ rugs?

I'll keep thinking.

Kalyn

kjinxx2

Sub-Adult Member
Put plastic bags down on the floors so if she does move you will hear it. Flour works well too, maybe put dubia in an escape-proof dish? You may need to check literally inside the bottom of your appliances such as the fridge, often the bottoms are open and they climb up INTO them for the heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom