do beardie scrapes-cuts heal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

falcor33

Juvie Member
just a quick recap, for the past month & half (almost 2 months) falcor was going nuts, running around, doing her spring fever thing. in her madness, both her hind feet pads, her heel areas to be specific, have been rubbed/cut raw. i believe she did this because i have a piece of slate in her cage, and i think she just paced and paced on it constantly (while i was sleeping or not around).

i took her bandages off for her weekly cleaning today. her one foot is healing ok i think, but the other foot, i presume her dominant side, is really bad and still is. they are both scabbed up pretty good?

i just hope they heal eventually and they dont get infected.

what are signs of an infection, to keep a look out? what can i do to speed up the healing process?
i know reptile scales/skin isnt like humans so i'm getting a little worried. i will keep cleaning the areas i suppose and wrapping with bandages.

i'll post pics next time of what her foot looks like so people can get a better idea as i forgot to this time.

thanks again to any help and hints!

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
In answer to your "title" question... yes, beardie's scrapes/cuts do heal. :D
What type medicine are you putting on Falcor's feet? Have you tried any betadine soaks? If not, get some betadine and add a small amount to a container of warm water(like for a bath). You only need enough betadine so that the water looks light brown(like weak tea). Soak Falcor's feet in the solution for a good 5-10 minutes daily. Then pat dry with a clean cloth and apply some triple antibiotic, like Neosporin to the affected areas. You can bandage if this helps. Depending on how bad his feet look, you can do this once a day or a few times a day if they are pretty bad.
As far as infection goes... keep an eye out for any type of redness and/or pus, this would be a sign of infection. The one thing you want to keep an eye on is the color of the feet. If they start to turn black at all, then this is the start of necrosis, which means the healthy tissue is dying. If you see this, then be on top of the betadine soaks and neosporin applications. If the black starts to travel, then get him into a vet to have it looked at.
Hope this helps. Keep us updated on poor little Falcor's feet.

On a side note... you might want to remove the slate from the viv until his feet are better. You don't have any loose substrate, do you? If so, remove that as well and replace with papertoweling. You need to make sure his feet stay as clean as possible.

falcor33

Juvie Member
Original Poster
omg! thank you very much for your help dawn. so i will be off to get some betadine and neosporin. can you get betadine anywhere, or would it be best to goto a walgreens, cvs pharmacy, some place like that? i've never heard of betadine before! i also had no idea you could use neosporin on reptiles, thats cool!

there were no black spots anywhere i remember on her feet, just dark-dried blood spots. i want to be gentle, how do you go about cleaning the feet? you don't want to tear anything more, know what i mean? would a qtip work for cleaning, i'm just scared i don't want to hurt her!!

i'm removing the slate, she won't be happy about that because it's her basking spot, or maybe i could just put some felt or a blanket on top of it?? lol, spoiled beardie!!! lol!!! that's the only thing in her cage i can think of that caused this. there is no loose substrate. she's on deck carpet for half, and the other half is smoother tile, not the rough tile.

she seems happy, nothing really bothers her much, even her sore feet i guess. she eat 8 superworms and a handful of waxies yesterday, so i'm very happy there. she didnt eat anything for me today though, just drank a lot of water and had some babyfood, she likes that alot. she's going on 2 years old now, and her eating patterns have slowed down as an adult. when she was little she eat like a piggy though! her weight is fine, she's gained 25 grams back since her spring-fever stint, so she's on track to getting back to normal. i realllllly hate the spring time for beardies....LOL...they go nuts and make me grow more gray hairs on my head!!!!

again, thank you thank you for the advice, helps a ton!!! falcor thanks you too! :love5:

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
Yes, Betadine can be easily picked up at any drugstore. You do not really need to clean her feet, just soaking them in the betadine solution and applying neosporin will be enough. I'm sure they are tender to the touch and you don't want to cause any stress or pain to falcor.
Good idea with covering the basking slate with felt/blanket. That is a great idea.
Glad to hear she is still eating... this is a good sign. :D
Keep us updated as to how Falcor's feet are doing. I hope they get better and feel better soon.

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
Yes, you can use human Neosporin, as long as it is the regular Neosporin not the one with the pain relief. You can use bandages on a beardie, but I don't think putting the adhesive part of a band-aid on their scales is such a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom