HELP ME PLEASE; EYE DISCHARGE

Status
Not open for further replies.

civicblend97

Hatchling Member
I HAVE LOOKED UP EVERY WHERE TO FIND SOMETHING ON EYE DISCHARGE AND CAN'T FIND ANYTHING SOMEONE HELP ME. I JUST WENT TO CHECK ON MY BEARDIE AND BOTH HER EYES WERE SHUT I FIGURED SHE WAS SLEEPING BUT I MOVED MY HANDS IN FRONT OF THE TANK AND SHE WOULDNT OPEN......USUALLY AS SOON AS I WALK IN THE ROOM SHE SEES ME.....I PICKED HER UP AND HE EYES HAS A LIKE A CLEAR MUCUS AND LIKE THERE MATTED OR SOMETHING AND THEY WOULDN'T OPEN. I FILLED HER BATH TUB UP AND GIVE HER A WARM BATH AND SPRINKLED WATER ON TOP OF HER HEAD AND AFTER 5MINS THEY OPENED. BUT THERE IS STILL CLEAR STUFF IN HER EYES; IM AFRAID TO TOUCH HER TO GET IT OUT. WHAT SHOULD I DO AND WHY IS THIS HAPPENING....AM I DOING SOMETHING WRONG?

SHE WAS EATING MEALWORMS BUT SHE HASNT HAD ANY IN THE PAST DAY.....IM GOING TO THROW THEM OUT

jaymerz

Poor thing, at least the warm bath seemed to help a little bit. There could be a number of things causing the problem with her eyes. This is just a short list of questions to help our more knowledgeable members know what is going on and they will be able to answer you more efficiently with them answered.

What type substrate do you have on the bottom of your tank?
Do you use UVB lights?
If so, Is it a coil, compact, fluorescent tube, or Mercury Vapor bulb?
What is the brand name and number of your bulb? Wattage (if MVB)?
How old is your UVB bulb?
How close can your dragon get to the UVB?
Do you use a separate basking bulb? What kind and what is the wattage? Is it a white or colored bulb?
What are the basking temps?
What is the cool side temp?
Do you take the temps with a stick on thermometer, a digital thermometer with a wire and a probe end or a temp gun?

Also it helps to post a picture so they can see what it looks like as well. If you don't know how to post pictures , just create an account at photobucket.com and upload them there. Then copy and paste the img code. It looks something like [/img]something to do with a link[/img]

I hope that is at least a start for you.

civicblend97

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
jaymerz":3s3m3tl4 said:
Poor thing, at least the warm bath seemed to help a little bit. There could be a number of things causing the problem with her eyes. This is just a short list of questions to help our more knowledgeable members know what is going on and they will be able to answer you more efficiently with them answered.

What type substrate do you have on the bottom of your tank? PAPER TOWELS
Do you use UVB lights? YES
If so, Is it a coil, compact, fluorescent tube, or Mercury Vapor bulb? COIL
What is the brand name and number of your bulb? Wattage (if MVB)? REPTI GLO 10.0 26W
How old is your UVB bulb? 1 MONTH OLD
How close can your dragon get to the UVB? IT'S SITTING ON TOP OF CAGE APROX. 9IN AWAY FROM HER
Do you use a separate basking bulb? YES What kind and what is the wattage?ZOO MED 75W Is it a white or colored bulb? WHITE
What are the basking temps? 90-100
What is the cool side temp? 75-85
Do you take the temps with a stick on thermometer, a digital thermometer with a wire and a probe end or a temp gun?
ITS THE ONES THAT STICK ON THE BACK OF THE TANK
Also it helps to post a picture so they can see what it looks like as well. If you don't know how to post pictures , just create an account at photobucket.com and upload them there. Then copy and paste the img code. It looks something like [/img]something to do with a link[/img]

I hope that is at least a start for you.

jaymerz

From what I have read the coil UVB and reptiglo bulbs have been know to cause eye problems in beardies. The best UBV bulb out for bearded dragons is the reptisun 10.0 florescent bulb. You usually can't fint them in pet stores, but you can find them here. http://www.petmountain.com/show_product/11442-504983 for $25.80 plus shipping. They last 6 months before they need to be replaced. How old is she? If shes bigger I would suggest just turning off the UVB for a coupe of days to see how her eyes are doing, and replacing it as soon as you can with the repti-sun. I just got my fixture for it at walmart for $10 yesterday and used industrial strength velcro to put it inside of the tank so the wire top doesn't filter any of the UV's. Keep giving her baths to get the gunk out of her eye, and hopefully someone else with more experience comes along shortly to help you car for her eye. All of my knowledge has come from reading these boards and I am still learning. Good luck with your baby and keep us updated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom