Eyes shut all the time, blue under eyes

Status
Not open for further replies.

steveh77

My bearded dragon is blue under his eyes and he keeps his eyes shut most of the time. My lights are heatglo 100w infrared heat lamp and reptiglo 10.0 compact uvb.

catUK

Gray-bearded Member
How old is your dragon and what are the temps?

the blue under the eyes is normal, its just thinner eyelid skin. I've read in a few places that infrared light can be bad for a beardies eyes, so this may be the reason for the eyes shut constantly. OR if he is over 1 year it could be brumation- http://www.beardeddragon.org/articles/brumation/. the reptiglo is not the best UVB- i had the tube for a bit but recently changed after reading lots of advice: the reptisun 10 or arcadia 12% (UK) are the best UVBs for beardies. Hope this helps a bit :)

steveh77

Original Poster
Yeah im changing bulbs asap, getting a arcadia tube uvb and an exo terra sunglo basking spot light. He is 10 months old and already brumated for about two months. He recently came out, is there any way you think he could be going back into brumation? He's been eating and pooping, he just likes to chill on his basking rock with both of his eyes shut. Also, hes not dark on his belly like he was when he was brumating anymore

catUK

Gray-bearded Member
the article i gave a link to seems to suggest that they can go in and out of brumation so its possible he might be:

Some Bearded Dragons will go into a deep sleep, and won’t wake up at all, for weeks on end, until its time for them to wake up and remain awake. Others will wake up periodically, either on their own, or if their owners wake them, and then go back to sleep again. Still others may just take long naps. And others may not actually go into a deep sleep at all, but will just refuse to eat anything. It all depends on each individual Beardie, and what his instincts tell him to do. It may take you a year or two to discover what is normal for your particular beardie, so you know what to expect from him.

You'll probably see a difference once you get the new lights. the fact that he's eating and pooping is a good sign.

Im sorry im not more help, hopefully someone else may have better input :)

steveh77

Original Poster
Im actually starting to think hes just being lazy, because as soon as I put his salad down mixed with crickets he perks right up, then he goes back to lazy mode on his rock haha. Could be where hes recently coming out of brumation.

catUK

Gray-bearded Member
lol, yeah its more than likely laziness, my beardie doesn't do much in her viv eaither and when i take her out she mostly just wants to cuddle up and sleep :shock:

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Please turn off the Reptiglo 10 compact/coil light. They can be harmful to your reptile's eyes. It emits a lower wavelength frequency of UVB which has been known to be harmful.
Also, the infrared heat lamp is not bright enough to allow sufficient protection for the eyes when using a UVB source. The light source needs to cause the pupil to constrict in order to allow less light into the eye to prevent damage. When the lighting is too dim, the eyes stay dilated which will allow more harmful UVB light to penetrate the eye area.
Please use a bright white light such as a regular household light bulb or a bright halogen light for use during the daytime along with a fluorescent tube UVB light. If you are in the US, the Reptisun 10 is the best light for now. If you are in other parts of the world, the Arcadia D3 12% tube bulb is a great bulb, as well.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom