Can 2 dragons be housed together???

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
I cannot count how many times I see this question asked nor can I remember how many times I have answered this question.
This is one of those questions that EVERYBODY has a different answer for. Every answer is situational and therefore fluid. Meaning it can change in the blink of an eye.

Can it be done??? Yes it can, however before you get excited, it isnt in the best interest of the animal. I know of several people that set up small groups personally. Not to put My ego into it but My solo dragons 9 out of 10 times look better and live longer.

Even when you can find 2 to 3 animals that will tolerate each other for extended periods of time, the underlying stress caused by this communal living over time will shorten the lifespan of your animal. This is being documented by the University of Penn as well as other facilitys across the country.

Now lets bring this closer to home. I SELL DRAGONS FOR A LIVING. I do not ever recommend keeping 2 dragons in the same tank. I could double My sales at every show if I said they need a buddy.

Just keep in mind that even if there are no physical signs of trouble there is stress to any dragon housed with another and over time it WILL affect the health and well being of your animal.

EShell

Hatchling Member
I agree this should be a sticky at the top.

We also need a tacked thread about loose substrate vs impaction.

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
Great post Tom!
I couldn't have said it better.

*** :roll: sorry a little sarcasm here :roll: ***
Hey even if those that would most likely ask that question don't actually read your post... :idea: we could always copy and paste what you wrote(if you don't mind :lol:) as a reply instead of having to type out that answer a million times a year. :banghead: The answering and typing isn't the problem really. For me I feel like only 1 out of 20 take the advice given. It gets tiring sometimes, but I guess even if just one person listens and learns it's all worth it. :)

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
Go for it, Make it a sticky, copy and paste it, give them the link to the post. Its there to be read. Cause im tired of typing it....lol

ziggy23

Gray-bearded Member
I've been considering making a collection of the horror stories and putting them into a thread so that newcomers can see what those who have been here for a while can see. The whole situation reminds me of how some teens/young adults are with safe driving, drinking, etc, they don't take it seriously until it hits close to home.

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
Morning T,

linking to it would be nice. However have you noticed that when you spend a lot of time on a reply making sure to add hyperlinks to back statements... 9 out of 10 times your hyperlinks are ignored or to put it nicely overlooked. :banghead: It has a way of making me feel as if I have wasted my time. :(

..."Can 2 dragons be housed together???"
There are rare times when I wish that we could post shocking pic's or video's maybe then more people would get the picture. Because I'm usually flabbergasted at how many just don't really want to hear the truth or accept it. Rather if it's not what they want to hear then we're wrong or don't know what we are talking about. {So why do they ask again?}

Gee thanks for giving me a place to release my morning rant. :lol:

Livey

Extreme Poster
ziggy23":27zzu4ov said:
I've been considering making a collection of the horror stories and putting them into a thread so that newcomers can see what those who have been here for a while can see. The whole situation reminds me of how some teens/young adults are with safe driving, drinking, etc, they don't take it seriously until it hits close to home.

I completely agree with that ^^^
All stories i have read have been sad, and i think it would make people open there eyes..

OgleRpets

Sub-Adult Member
Clapping.gif

Well said!

Pride

I had to take my beardie to the vet new years day as my girl had a prolapse. Pretty bad too, but all fine now. Anyway we got to talking and she was saying that if you keep more than one together they do send out a hormone that makes others not get as big. I noticed that with a couple of mine. The dominate ones were younger and bigger than the other one that was in there. They are now all seperate. I have learned a lot from her and she is a reptile vet, which around here are very far and few between. Good to have her close and opened up just to help my beardie. If you can tell me how to put pictures up I will post some.
From a happy aussie

ziggy23

Gray-bearded Member
fresnowitte":8sc4r86c said:
Morning T,

linking to it would be nice. However have you noticed that when you spend a lot of time on a reply making sure to add hyperlinks to back statements... 9 out of 10 times your hyperlinks are ignored or to put it nicely overlooked. :banghead: It has a way of making me feel as if I have wasted my time. :(

..."Can 2 dragons be housed together???"
There are rare times when I wish that we could post shocking pic's or video's maybe then more people would get the picture. Because I'm usually flabbergasted at how many just don't really want to hear the truth or accept it. Rather if it's not what they want to hear then we're wrong or don't know what we are talking about. {So why do they ask again?}

Gee thanks for giving me a place to release my morning rant. :lol:

I know, some people only listen to what they want to hear. It's the whole, I never thought it would happen to me syndrome. Everyone always says they'll separate when if they see a problem. But with a lot of risky things, the first problem could the worse case scenario. I sometimes wonder why I bother.

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
I never have a problem with the mods wanting to make useful things a sticky, but keep in mind this is my opinion based on experience and research.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom