Lethargic, eyes closed, wet mouth

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeusa

Zeus is 3 years old, and pretty big, around 600 grams. A couple of weeks ago, I noticed she was keeping her eyes closed. A friend kept her while we were on vacation (Zeus stayed in her own viv, with her own lights, regular food, etc.) Shortly before we left for vacation, her MegaRay burned out, and as an emergency measure, I bought her a PowerSun 100 MVB. When we returned a week later, I got alarmed, did research on this board, and immediately ditched the Powersun. For 3 days she's had no UVB.

I took her to the vet yesterday. The vet noticed her mouth had some clear mucous on the inside. The vet could also tell her eyes were inflammed. Vet says possibly the light's to blame for the eyes, but can find no connection between her mouth problems and the PowerSun. Her corneas are fine. No parasites in her gut. She's now on drops for her eyes, a broad spectrum antibiotic by mouth, and an anti-inflammatory by mouth. Her "lips" are a little pink.

My vet also stocks MegaRay's and now I've got a 100 suspended pretty high over her cage, along with supplemental heat because I don't want to rush the UVB thing if her eyes are inflammed. Her cage is 48 L x 18 W x 20 H. Temps at basking are around 104 with digital probe, but the MVB has been on only about 1.5 hours. She has one eye open, but is keeping the other closed.

She's eating fine. It concerns me that the vet has no clue about why her mouth is mucousy. Has anyone's dragon had mucous in its mouth?

I should mention that the vet is reputable. In fact, the vet's practice told me yesterday they are a consultant to the Reptiluv folks.

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
I would turn off the Mega for now. She can go a few days without, at least until the eye is healed. As for the mouth having mucus, wellllll it could be the start of a mouth rot thing, or maybe not. Just keep a close eye on her, do continue taking her out into the sun for brief periods, and keep with what your vet suggested.
Janie.

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
Next year if you go on vacation? Bring her down to me, I'll "sit" her. Viv and all ;)
Yes, I know it is a haul down to Savannah, but I figure maybe next year you might want to come south to visit ;)
Janie.

zeusa

Original Poster
Thanks for the invite! I'd take her on vacation with us, except for she'd need a moving van for all her stuff, the girl does like her regular digs....I'll do as you suggest with the MVB.

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
Keep me posted ! And you are welcome anytime down here... with or without her ;)
And I have a fabulous vet... He used to breed geckos and has done some serious research ( on here of course;)) with dragons. Love the man !
Janie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom