WTF is this??

Status
Not open for further replies.

clyde612

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
I don't even know where to start... could this just be shed? I've never seen something like this on him before... also it just completely disappeared...

full

full

It is completely gone now... so weird.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Probably a combination of shade changing (like when they darken to bask) and a patch of skin near shed which doesn't change as easily. I don't see a sign of a problem though.

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
Okay, thanks! I haven't seen it since. He's getting older (7 months) so I know shedding gets more patchy.

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
Hi!!! This patch he was is still visible at times... it will be visible for a few minutes at a time. I just wan to be sure it isn't a fungal infection. Like I said, it usually isn't visible at all.

Here is what it looks like now:
full

full

full

I live in a somewhat humid environment (San Diego, VERY close to the ocean so there is marine layer or fog sometimes). But he has 2 dehumidifiers and my humidity gauges usually read a safe level (always below 70, usually closer to 50). The mark is already completely invisible again... is there any way this could be fungus/bacteria?

Please help, thank you!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It looks healthy to me. The scales don't appear to be damaged at all. I would continue to wait it out and I think that area will eventually shed and look like the surrounding scales once that's done.

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
Okay thank you!!! I did notice later that his whole tail changed to be the lighter color, which means it is probably just that spot changing first for some reason like you said.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Shed patches generally stay lighter in color when they darken their skin, so it tends to be a good tell for where they're going to shed next. Sometimes it's even just a single scale or a spike that is getting ready to shed and will remain lighter in color like that.

Gail

BD.org Addict
I don't think that is shed, it seems to be growing and I've never seen shed do that.
While it doesn't appear to be urgent, I think it would be a good idea to have it checked out just in case

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
I will say that his tail has been doing this for a month and it is not getting ready to shed yet, his torso is going to shed soon but not his tail. Does that mean it is more likely an infection than a shed patch?

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
Gail":c4k7htvr said:
While it doesn't appear to be urgent, I think it would be a good idea to have it checked out just in case
I just signed him up for insurance which will be active in 2 weeks, around the time I drive back to Colorado. Do you think I should go before then?

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
I took some photos while the mark was not visible to inspect his scales. His whole tail was a darker shade as he had just been trying to warm up under his basking light. I cannot see a difference in the scales, and I shined the light through his tail to see if there was any internal damage. His tail glowed the shame shade of red with the light going through it.

Gail, what do you think with this info? Is it possible that there is still some sort if fungal infection??

full

full

full

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
Those photos were not as high quality as I wanted so I retook them...

Left is the side (in this photo) that sometimes shows a patch, right it normal.
full

Good side:
full

Patchy side:
full

In person I cannot really see a difference in the color of each side right now. Sometimes the patchy side photos look less yellow underwear and in other photos it looks more yellow than the other side, overall they seem about the same color right now.

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
I ALSO just noticed that in the earlier photos the big patch is on his right, in the second photos it was on his left. I can see the patch again now and it is more in the center, but somewhat to the right. So the spot that is patchy is constantly changing...

patchy in the center/right:
full

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom