Tail Issues Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Betty53218

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
New update on Smaug’s tail today. The shots are going good and surgery is still set for August 15th at this point. Giving him some of Tracie’s good probiotics also. The vet still wanted to amputate above the wavy part, but I told her I wasn’t comfortable with that. She said she’d only do the end of the tail if that’s what I wanted. Today I gave Smaug a bath after his outside time. A little later I noticed that a good portion of the darkness was coming off in a shed. Also, the very end came off and was almost all hollow leaving what looks like exposed bone. No wound though. The tail just tapers down to the end. Sent new pic to vet for further suggestions on this new development. The de-shedded part of the tail a lot lighter than the rest of the healthy part of the tail though. I think it’s that same creamy color as the part that fell off. I guess we’ll just have to see what happens now after the vet sees the pic.
82269-8843324300.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Good to consult with the vet about it. I'd put some topical antibiotic on the exposed end. Keep an eye on the dark area and make sure it doesn't start traveling up the tail. If it stays put then the damaged area may have just gone away and the tail is healing itself which is good.

Betty53218

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hi Everyone, Smaug’s surgery is set for 8/15. He has finished all his shots and seems to be doing well. I emailed his vet again about why it was that she thought his tail should be amputated above the waviness. This was her reply...

“When I posted Smaug's case online, the vets that responded recommended that amputation be done above the 'wavy' part. In the past, in my experience, the waviness is caused by either a current or past infection in the bones of the tail, so to be safe, we recommend amputation above that part to remove any danger of future infection. Even though the tail vertebrae look good now, there is no way to know if there are bacteria in there wanting to start a new infection. Of course we can just take the bad part at the end and monitor the rest.”
Has anyone every heard of this? I did tell her I just wanted the bad part off for now. I’ve continued to give his tail iodine solution soaks and apply antibiotic ointment twice daily. I really want to do the right thing here. I still see the end of his tail quiver at times. Don’t know why it does that.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
All of the " wavy " tails I've ever seen had no problem, both my own and one's on the forums. The vet will act out of abundance of caution but I don't think the waviness is a problem. You'll have to decide.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Well, that is good news the area has shed off some. I hope the surgery will go well. I am not
really sure that amputating above the wavy area is such a good idea. That tissue seems to be
viable, so I would hate for him to lose so much of the tail if it's not necessary.
I am glad that he likes his probiotics, also! That way he will take them easier if he likes them.
LOL I'm happy he seems to be doing pretty well right now.

Tracie

Betty53218

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Smaug’s surgery on Wednesday was a success. The vet cut off about three inches total. It is healing well and as of today he is back to his crazy self again. He was very sleepy for the last couple of days. I had him outside today just soaking in the rays. He started to move the front of his body around this morning, but didn’t take any steps. After I took him outside he seemed to perk up a little. When we were out for around 20 minutes, I decided to put him down on his blanket on the grass. He sat there for a couple minutes and then just took off. He’s been running around since then. He even had a poo. I had to put him in his enclosure just to make his settle down. He did start out walking a little wobbly, but has improved throughout the day. I gave him one dose (.15 ml) of Metacam yesterday, and then every other day for a total of 3 doses. He’s also due for one last antibiotic shot tomorrow and then he’s done with that. Stitches (2) come out in three weeks. I can also start feeding him again tomorrow (Saturday). It’s great to have this all behind us now. :)
82269-6248847977.jpg
82269-3756841659.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm glad to hear it went well and he is full of energy. Hopefully he will heal quickly and have no more issues going forward.

Betty53218

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you Liam! I hope so too! This is getting to be one expensive dragon. Good thing I love him so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom