Beardie won’t bask

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barbcan23

I have a dragon whom I’ve had for five years. She has never had any issues with basking before but recently in the last week I bought her a new hammock and she won’t bask anymore. If I put her up there she stays for maybe 10 minutes and jumps down. I’m assuming maybe she just doesn’t like it? Will she gets used to it? Should I remove this new hammock? Her basking temp is normal it’s about 95 give or take depending how my house is but never above 100. Usually not even above 98.

Martadragon017

Hatchling Member
Do you mean that the surface temperature of the basking area is about 95 degrees Fahrenheit? First of all, what do you use to measure the temps? A stick on thermometer won't measure the surface temp, which is what you need. If you use a temp gun, correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that 95 degrees is too low for a basking surface temp. It should be 105 to 115 degrees Fahrenheit, a minimum of 100 degrees Fahrenheit. Hope this helps. :)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Please review your type/brand of UVB light, as well as the wattage of your basking bulb too.
What sized tank do you have currently?
As suggested, either a temp gun or digital probe is the best way to accurately measure the
temperatures. We recommend a good range of 95F to 110F on the basking area, to a cooler
area of around 78-82. The overall ambient temperature of the tank shouldn't really exceed

Tracie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
She doesn't like it so even though you meant well + thought you were getting her something nifty, it's better to put back whatever you had before. I don't like hammocks , they are not natural for an animal that has claws that are made for climbing, plus they don't support the body or hold any heat. Basking logs are still the best thing for beardies.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
I totally agree, the basking spot/platform needs to be something that is solid so it can achieve a Basking Surface Temperature between 100-105 degrees F for an adult. If her Basking Spot Surface Temperature is 95 degrees then it's too low, it needs to be at least 100 degrees, but this is the temperature that you must measure with either a Temperature Gun or a Probe, not a stick-on thermometer, that's the Hot Side Ambient/Air Temperature, which should be no higher than 93 degrees at a max...Lately there have been a ton of people who are confusing the Basking Spot Temperature, which is the Surface Temperature of their Basking Platform located in the Hot Side of the tank directly under the Basking and UVB lights and can only be measured with either a Gun or a Probe, with the Hot Side Ambient Temperature, which is the air temperature surrounding the Basking Spot....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whokiry weth
Top Bottom