Bearded dragon vomited help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Furmeses

Hi, I have a male bearded dragon, who is about a year and a half who for around the past month and a half hanst been eating and i can notice some weight loss however the vet weight him and said it's more or less the same. However today he vomited what looked like poo and he is currently basking now. He lives in a 4ftx2ftx2ft viv with a basking spot of 37-40 degrees Celsius and a uvb tube 10.0 that had been changed 2 weeks ago. The substrate is also lino. I would have mainly feed him roaches along with some locusts and wax worms occasionally with calci supplements(i haven't been able to use these as often because he isnt eating).I also use rocket and collard greens for his veg. His eating for the past month was slowly declining however he was still pooing regularly. I sent poo to the vets last week to check for parasites and they informed me today that nothing showed up. So im lost at what to do.Ive have began feeding him some baby food liqud prunes through a syringe mixed with veg as some sort of food. I might be able to assume its brumation because he isn't totally "sick" as he can still move back into his viv when i bring him out without any trouble and i also give him a bath at least once a night now since then to keep him hydrated more. His night temps are also fine as it never drops below 20 degrees celcuis. Any time i come home from school i sometimes see that he had moved to the cool spot as well and hid on his own. I have also had him xrayed and they said his bone density is normal and no sign of clogage

HylianHealeys

Juvie Member
If your beardie's diet has declined, he's sleeping more on the cool end, weight has remained stable and he seems otherwise healthy, it's most likely brumation.

That being said, vomiting/regurgitating is a very traumatic experience for reptiles, so you'll need to be gentle with him for the next week or two. Don't offer any insects, just greens, and don't force him to eat either. During brumation, spending so much time in cooler temperatures means that bearded dragons can't digest food well.

Other things you can do to help him recover:
- Increase nighttime temps to 26-27 degrees
- Soak in a warm bath weekly

If he regurgitates again, take him back to the vet, as it could be a sign of a deeper illness.

Furmeses

Original Poster
Thanks for the quick response, im currently going to send the stuff he vomited off to the vets tomorrow to see if theirs anything they can find in it and if need be blood tests to see if theirs anything serious

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom