Calcium deficiency?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zezima

Someone yesterday said my bearded dragon has a serious calciun deficiency based upon this image, thoughts?
86621-6365444842.jpg

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Underbites like that are a common symptom of MBD which is a calcium or D3 deficiency related issue, doesn't mean 00% that's the case here. It's not a sign of a current deficiency though since the bones never recover a normal shape once the problem is fixed. How is your lighting and supplementing schedule?

Zezima

Original Poster
I used to live feed twice a day (I got him from a petco at roughly 3 months age) and dust, I kept doing this util about 2 months ago, He'll be turning one-ish in about a month. I started feeding greens everyday and on the third day I'd give him about 8 super worms dusted. I did this because he started getting really fat, should I start giving him a couple of worms dusted daily, or more frequently at least? He wont touch his salad if there's powder on it. I have a T8 bulb at 5" from his basking platform with a basking temp of 102 F

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
If he is gaining too much weight, I would stop the super worms. They are higher in fat than other feeders.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That's great you have a T8 tube bulb, but which brand is it, a Reptisun 10 or a Reptiglo 10? How old is the tube bulb?
They do need to be changed out every 5-6 months to keep the UVB output at a good level for them.
Even though he is an adult, he will still need calcium 3 times per week. Since he does have a slight underbite, you may need to increase his calcium for awhile or consider getting a liquid calcium also for a higher absorbency rate.

Tracie

Zezima

Original Poster
Reptisun, he got a fresh bulb 2 months ago. How much calcium should I give him for now? Thanks for the help

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Great, that sounds good, the bulb will still be emitting UVB pretty strongly. Be sure it is 6-8 inches from him without screen or mesh.
For now, you could give calcium 4-5 days a week for a short while to get his levels up, then back down to 3. Just monitor his urates to be sure they don't get too hard or discolored.
Just give a small pinch, once daily either on his salad, feeders or mixed with water or diluted cranberry, apple or grape juice.

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

Zezima

Original Poster
He seems fine and acts normal (at least the same as long ad I've had him) his urates also seem normal every time he poops. I appreciate the tips Tracie!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Terrific, hopefully he will improve some now, but his bone structure likely wont change any. That's ok, he is beautiful no matter what.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bugluvr3
Top Bottom