Baby growth rates - help me collect data

Status
Not open for further replies.

PogoLover

Juvie Member
Don't know if it is too late to join this discussion, but I am a new dragon owner who just joined the community. I am not sure of the sex or exact age of my dragon, but here are his/her stats:

POGO: Approx. 8 weeks; 7"; 10 g

SukiLove

Juvie Member
PogoLover":l1i6a1x4 said:
Don't know if it is too late to join this discussion, but I am a new dragon owner who just joined the community. I am not sure of the sex or exact age of my dragon, but here are his/her stats:

POGO: Approx. 8 weeks; 7"; 10 g

Based on all I've seen, 8 weeks is a pretty good guess with the length and weight of yours :D
I don't see why you can't join in! But I'm not the one creating the chart, Kessed is.

Juniper

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Henry
If you want another dragon for your data set--

When I got Norbert, the woman at the pet store said he was a little over a month old. So I just called him five weeks. His length has been hard to measure accurately because he fidgets (weight is easier), but here are my best estimates.

Norbert:
5 weeks, 6.25", 9 g
9 weeks, ~8", 20g

Does this seem like a good growth rate? I get the impression from other data on here that he is slightly smaller than other babies his age.

He doesn't look nearly as delicate as when I brought him home, which is nice! I'm less afraid of breaking him now.

SukiLove

Juvie Member
I'm convinced she's just gonna be a pudge compared to him.

Soleil - 184g, 14.75" at 16.5 weeks
Nero - 158g, 15" at 20 weeks

PogoLover

Juvie Member
Pogo:

8 weeks - 7" and 10g
9 weeks - 7" and 8.5g (yes, he has lost weight - he is on a hunger strike)

Kessed

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
All new dragons are welcome. The more the merrier!!!! (Actually, the more the better the data I can get from it. I would LOVE to eventually have enough to split by gender)

I am marking my data entry spot. I have added out new dragons. I will try to post updated charts tonight.

SukiLove

Juvie Member
genskiR6":4s9oxgf8 said:
Kessed":4s9oxgf8 said:
I'm wondering if we estimated Wayne's age incorrectly.

What are you thinking it should be? I'm all ears. I have no idea lol.

Well, unless he was only a week old when you got him (and I sincerely hope NOT) I don't know that it was estimated wrong. It could just be that Wayne will be a smaller dragon, my Suki was only 14" in length (did have a slight tail nip), but she had not-so-great beginnings as well. She was kept in a 20 gallon tank for 4 years! :cry:

IF Wayne was only a week old when you got him and he is actually around 11 weeks now, he is still smaller in comparison to both Nero, who was 10.25" and 37g, and Soleil, who was 10.25" and 34g around 11 weeks.

As long as he is healthy, I wouldn't be too worried. Have you taken him in to a vet and had a fecal done? Sometimes parasites can stunt growth a bit. Soleil had high levels of coccidia and I swear her appetite EXPLODED after she took the 2 doses of ponazuril.

genskiR6

SukiLove":1umol2fu said:
genskiR6":1umol2fu said:
Kessed":1umol2fu said:
I'm wondering if we estimated Wayne's age incorrectly.

What are you thinking it should be? I'm all ears. I have no idea lol.

Well, unless he was only a week old when you got him (and I sincerely hope NOT) I don't know that it was estimated wrong. It could just be that Wayne will be a smaller dragon, my Suki was only 14" in length (did have a slight tail nip), but she had not-so-great beginnings as well. She was kept in a 20 gallon tank for 4 years! :cry:

IF Wayne was only a week old when you got him and he is actually around 11 weeks now, he is still smaller in comparison to both Nero, who was 10.25" and 37g, and Soleil, who was 10.25" and 34g around 11 weeks.

As long as he is healthy, I wouldn't be too worried. Have you taken him in to a vet and had a fecal done? Sometimes parasites can stunt growth a bit. Soleil had high levels of coccidia and I swear her appetite EXPLODED after she took the 2 doses of ponazuril.

I haven't taken her to a vet. She's really shown me no signs of distress. She eats about 40-60 dubia a day and has veggies every morning. Her colors are really bright as well. I guess I should take her just to check. How fresh does the poop need to be to take to the vet?

As for the age thing, I got her on May 26 and the breeder told me she was about 3 weeks old but he wasn't sure (which was strange to me). But he also told me that he had another clutch that was about a week old and he wasn't sure which one I had. They were all mixed in together. So me getting her at 1 week is actually extremely possible. So here I'll add a pic from the day I brought her home to a picture that I took yesterday. So basically Ive had her for 10 weeks.

So from here I'll attach a picture from the day I picked her up and one that I took yesterday and then you guys tell me what you think.

May 26
82155-549370102.jpg

August 2
82155-9383072964.jpg

SukiLove

Juvie Member
I would say that it is extremely likely that you could have gotten her at 1 week then. It is really strange that he didn't know how old, usually they are separated or marked in some way to keep them organized. From the picture she looks really small, and I've heard of some breeders getting rid of their babies as young as 1 week, I just do not agree with it. I think 6 weeks is a good age to part with a baby, then you know if they're eating properly and have no issues.

It's great that she's eating so much! She sounds like Soleil! :lol: I guess we could say she was around 11 weeks, and see if it better matches with the chart for the other babies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom