Calling all New Zealanders! Which UVB bulb do you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kayenzed

I posted this in the enclosure forum, but didn't get any replies so I'm reposting it here :)

Hey everyone, :D

Its come time for me to get a new UVB tube for my beardie, and I thought I'd ask the forums which one is recommended.

Before anyone suggests the Reptisun 10.0 or the Arcadia 12%, those are unavailable in New Zealand!!

I'm currently using the Reptile One T8 18w 24in UVB tube.
http://reptileone.com.au/products/light ... ight-tubes

Has anyone figured out the best tube that's available in my country? Or, how on earth to get my hands on a Reptisun or Arcadia? :study:

I've been browsing the forums for a couple of hours today and couldn't find anything about recommended UVB tubes in New Zealand.

Thanks! :D

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I don't have any data on the Reptile One bulbs so I can't comment on their effectiveness one way or another. It's looking to be difficult to find T5 bulbs on the sites I've searched over there. I did find an Arcadia T8 but it's a little smaller than the fixture you have now. It may be worth inquiring about different size options available. http://www.animates.co.nz/reptile/reptile-heating-lighting/arcadia-reptile-light-15w-18in.html
It looks like there are several bricks and mortar stores across the North Island and a couple on the South (Christchurch and Nelson) so you may be able to save shipping costs if you're near one as well.

PS It's amusing me to respond to a post from New Zealand because I'm watching Paul Henry's morning show online as I write this =)

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I'm not across the moat , but Arcadia gear is darned hard to find here too (in Australia) and I'm fed up with being overcharged for rubbish chinese clones by sellers here so I bought my Arcadia MVBs from a place in the USA and had them shipped to me by USPS airparcel post (I bought 4 of the 80W MVBs , essentially got the 4th one for nix :) which covered the postage).
I bought from LightYourReptiles.com

I'm sure you can do the same with their UV tubes as well.

(And yes they are made for 240V 50Hz so work fine here).

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If LightYourReptiles will ship internationally for reasonable cost, it's a good option. I use them as well. Very high quality stuff and easy to work with.

kayenzed

Original Poster
Unfortunately it looks like they don't ship to New Zealand. How much does it cost to get shipped to Australia? I'll email him and ask if he can ship to NZ specially but I don't have high hopes. Thanks anyway though! Maybe I can get my cousins to forward it from aussie :) all the other reptile sites I found in the US cost around $80 NZD to get shipped here which is ridiculous since thats the price of the tube

Edit: looks like their tubes are only 22" instead of 24" ? Based on that alone maybe i shouldn't spend a whole bunch of money only to have it not fit, unless its a typo

Scotttnz

kayenzed":w23cmp2g said:
Unfortunately it looks like they don't ship to New Zealand. How much does it cost to get shipped to Australia? I'll email him and ask if he can ship to NZ specially but I don't have high hopes. Thanks anyway though! Maybe I can get my cousins to forward it from aussie :) all the other reptile sites I found in the US cost around $80 NZD to get shipped here which is ridiculous since thats the price of the tube

Edit: looks like their tubes are only 22" instead of 24" ? Based on that alone maybe i shouldn't spend a whole bunch of money only to have it not fit, unless its a typo

What did you end up getting?

I have a bearded dragon arriving in 2 weeks, and am in the process of getting an enclosure set up ready for it. The choice of UVB options available here sure is limited!

kayenzed

Original Poster
So sorry about the late reply!!
I ended up sticking with the Reptile One uvb bulb, as i havent had any issues with it in the past year of using these bulbs. My beardie hasn't been ill at all since i got her as a baby :)
Good luck!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom