Greens advise please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rossi46

I've just got my beardie, she's 3 years old and I'm worried as she doesnt seem to be eating her greens. When I got her I asked if she was eating anything in particular but he just said any salad, just not iceburg lettuce. I went to a local reptile shop and they said rocket salad and fruit; apples, melon etc (carrots but small amounts). I gave her rocket salad with melon and grape, she didnt touch it. I swapped to curly lettuce (a girl I work with used to have beardies and hers loved it) with a bit of apple. Looks like she may have had a nibble at the lettuce and a small piece of apple but I cant say for definate. I'm feeding the insects greens so she still gets her nutrients but I'm worried she's not eating what she should be. She loves her live food, its just the greens.

I'm not 100% if she is going into brumation, the last 2 days she's starting falling asleep about 5 - 6pm whereas the days bedfore she was still awake at 8 - 9pm. I thought this may have been a factor but she hasnt ate the greens since we got her monday and she is still showing an interest in food which apparently they loose when going into brumation.

Any suggestions appreciated as new to this and learning
Thanks

Livey

Extreme Poster
You could try spring greens,
I wouldn't feed lettuce it loosens there stools and often gives them diarrhea...

Rossi46

Original Poster
Thank you very much for your replies. I shall contact the previous owner and also try spring greens, anything to get her eating them.

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
Rossi46":331l6a36 said:
Thank you very much for your replies. I shall contact the previous owner and also try spring greens, anything to get her eating them.
I have noticed my dragons are reluctant to try new things but, they don't try them to see if they like them or not. I have had some luck feeding greends after I have kind of made them taste the greens. Like one day I got some squash and my dragons were giving me looks like "no way I am eating that crap!" So I took a piece of the shredded squash and wedged it between their lips, after they got a taste they were eating it. :wink:
Another thing that can make them taste new things is if you feed with tongs, grab a piece of the greens with the tongs. My dragons know the tongs as often a source of live feeders. So when I approach them with the tongs they think it is a feeder and not greens.

Rossi46

Original Poster
Thats a brilliant piece of info thanks, will definately try feeding her with the tongs and try and encourage her to taste, a lot of people seem to use some form of squash so although I've no idea what it is i'll try and find some.

Thank you again!!

Rossi46

Original Poster
In the local reptile shop near me i was told to feed her live food and greens everyday but after speaking to a friend who used to have beardies she said feed live every other day, So today there has been a stand off between me and rossi, I didnt give in and I finally she started eating her greens. I won Can finally breath a sigh of relief

Reeferman20

Hatchling Member
at the moment the only colour veg my BD will eat is green and orange. when i show him something red or yellow or any other colour he just ignores it. he is only young so he will start to eat more. i wrap anything new around a calci worm, then he gets a taste. this doesnt work everytime though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom