Any Beardie Slaves in NorCal??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spoony

Sub-Adult Member
Hiya! Name's Alex and I was just wondering if any of us (besides myself) were Beardie parents living in the North Bay NorCal area? I'm fairly close to San Fran (about an hour North) and I thought it'd be super cool to meet some of you at some point. We can share beardie tips, tricks, and tales and meet each other's Neardies. Plus, new friends are always cool.

Sound interesting? You can either reply here or shoot me a PM, I'd love to meetcha :)

jadentracyn

Awesome, we are almost to a week of being parents of our little dragon. We got him at Pet Smart, and yes it was a clean Pet Smart lol. What have been some challenges with yours? I know with us yesterday we took his light back cause we researched the coiled lights were really bad on them. Now since getting a "ReptiSun 10.0 UVB Linear Lamp" he/she is pooing and eating now after 3 days of no poops. lol Been such a parent over the last few days.

Spoony

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Yea, I got Zero from a PetSmart as well, and he wasn't in the best of conditions. Zero had some energy issues and had Coccidia and PinWorms when I got him, but he's much better now after having been on medications and such. I also had an issue with his lighting being the cause of his lethargy (along with the parasites). The initial basking bulb I got was coated in NeoDymium which was restricting his color spectrum to where he was basically seeing blue which is dull and boring, so he wasn't active. Now that I've switched to white house lights, he's good. :)

Spoony

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Because of the temperature in my home and the way Zero's tank is set up AND also because every stupid lightbulb nowadays works on lower wattage, I had to get an indoor/outdoor 60W spotlight and use a dimmer for his basking. I use a regular 60W house light for lighting on the hot side.

I chose spotlight because not only did the regular bulbs not work for me, but spotlights usually give off more heat anyway. It took about 4 trips to Walmart to settle on these bulbs, and they're not perfect, but they work.

jadentracyn

Cool, btw since we just got our beardie he has eaten off and on. The last 2 days he hasn't been hungry, was your beardie like that when you first bought him?

Spoony

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Zero actually has been a special case. He wouldn't eat for two weeks, and finally I bought some squash baby food, dipped his feeders in the baby food, and tong fed him. I've been tong feeding him ever since because he does not feed himself..

Bwalter

Sub-Adult Member
I live in Woodland/Davis area, but I have already talked to you Alex on the other beardie site. 2 female beardies, Jesse, got her last Oct, saved her life and Booger is 2 1/2 years old and have had her for almost that long now.

ibayiish

Vallejo here !! I'm pretty new just had Taz for 8 days and I'm having a bit of challenge with him/her eating.. I'm hoping it's just because of the new environment, I got Taz from East Bay Vivarium in Berkeley ..

Spoony

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Welcome fellow NorCal slave!

If Taz continues to not eat for another week, then I would look into the baby food option. Relocation stress can last up to two weeks and your baby should hopefully begin to eat after that. Remember to always offer fresh food every day, even if it's just recycling worms. Also make sure to always offer fresh wet greens. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom