Don't go to Bart's pet store in Omaha, Nebraska

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyHawke

I've been shopping around to get started on my beardie enclosure and find good places to buy a beardie, and was appalled when I walked into Bart's Pet Store. I almost walked right back out, but didn't want to seem rude, so I started looking around. It smelled horrible and was visibly dirty inside, and none of the animals had adequate sized enclosures. There were about six chinchillas crammed in a bird cage that wouldn't even be big enough for one chinchilla, and the same thing with about four cockatiels. The larger parrots were in the back in a dark corner and none of them appeared healthy, most of them were plucking. There was nothing in the store as far as reptile supplies that I can't find at PetsMart and for better prices. The Beardies they had were mostly housed in small terrariums with calcium sand as a substrate and none of the animals had any available vegetables. The one full grown beardie was exorbitantly over priced and was fed nothing but thawed out dead birds. One of the employees was trying to sell me the big dragon, but was afraid to pick it up. He then showed me the three Uromastyx they had, but couldn't tell me anything about them. These people are only in the pet trade for the money, with little apparent care for the animals they sell. I will not be going back and I hope this helps other conscientious herp hobbyists.

Barts

First before someone attempts to slander someone on a forum they should probably know what they are talking about. Our beardies do not have calcium sand in their tanks, they have either eco green carpet or what you think is sand is actually crushed walnut shells. Lady hawke should have turned around and walked out, it's a pet store and does smell like animals, We have been inspected 4 times in the last month for differant liscenses that we are required to have and been informed we have a very nice store. We treat our animals well and handle as many as possible every day. You make a statement like we only feed our lizards DEAD FROZEN BIRDS, *****, Our capable son was nice enough to let you help ( yes he remembers you ) with (1) feeding and thats what everything eats!!! Our Lizards get vegetables and fruits every other day and worms or crickets opposite that. We feed very well, no sunken stomachs or skinny legs. It is also in your statement that we are over-priced, I am glam you spent all day writing down our inventory and doublechecking at the chain stores, oh you didnt did you, we are very competitive in our prices, not only that but overall 80%+ of our stock IS CHEAPER than Petsmart, of course we cant buy 6000 40 gal breeders to have a big weekend sale but just for you i will give you 1 at cost, no sense in making a couple bucks to please 1 customer just to stay in business. We have no problems handling our animals here, if he refused to take (Rose) our female Tangeringe German Giant out of her cage moments after feeding her a quail baby, he probably had a good reason. You say you are interested in raising animals, might we suggest a pet rock, very popular in the 70's and 80's, if you would like i could see if we can find you one. P.S. If you dont like our prices, thats fine, but we are an exotic animal pet store. you want to buy a beardy and pay nothing for it, shop at a chain store wear they sell the normals.

Sorry for ranting, have a GREAT day.
Barts Pet Store
10701 Mockingbird dr
Omaha, Ne

apbgv

Hatchling Member
crushed walnut shells is not a good substrate for reptiles, why are you feeding birds to the dragons anyhow? I am thinking maybe you better check your husbandry practices but whatever. For someone who is suppose to be a professional you didn't come off that way in your post.

Went in this place as well recently. Unimpressed. It was about 1pm and they didn't have any lights on the beardies. Just pitch black. Every single reptile is in the teeny tiny 5 gallon aquarium. The geckos looked rather skinny. Sad. It would be interesting to see a pet store that actually cared about the animals.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am locking this thread as nothing positive will come out of this.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom