Floridians... What do you use for feeders?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiefsDaddy

Gray-bearded Member
Fellow Floridians,

It seems most places won't ship feeders to Florida because of our ridiculous weather. The ones that do, have strict policies about holding at a post office, or you have to shell out the extra $ for overnight shipping. Just seems like a pain to me and I feel that most of the feeders will probably die before they get here. I've been sticking to crickets, but they're disgusting and smell horrible. So what do you guys use and where did you get them from?

Cinder9

Juvie Member
I feel ya, all i want is to use dubias but this state sux. For now im using reptiworms from reptiworms.com, supers from premiumliveworms.com, and horns from greatlakeshornworms.com also since the weather is gettin rediculously hot if they offer to ship them woth cold packs i suggest doin it.

ChiefsDaddy

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
I didn't even know until about 5 minutes ago that dubia are illegal in Florida. I guess it makes sense now why places flat out refuse to ship to Florida. That really sucks.

Supers and horns aren't an option for me yet, since Chief is still a baby. I might try Reptiworms. How much do you have to pay for the overnight shipping? (I understand that is the only way to get a cold pack). Do most survive?

Cinder9

Juvie Member
im not sure how much overnight shipping is, ive never done it. for reptiworms i dont think it really matters. i get mine and no matter how hot they seem to be completely fine with not a single one dead so you could go with standard shipping.

ChiefsDaddy

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Thanks man! I will definitely give them a try. Do you normally have them hold at the post office?

ChiefsDaddy

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Reptiworms FTW!!!!!

I placed my order Monday afternoon, and had them in my hands today. All of them were alive. Chief loved them! Looks like I found a new staple feeder. No more stinky crickets. :blob8:

FWIW, I use mulberry farms and have had some really good luck. Granted I'm ordering supers, but they sell repti-worms etc. Shipping is nice and fast, but being in south alabama they hold the box at the post office so they don't get crispy. I think I pay around $24 for 1K Supers with postage included. I see their notices regularly when I place an order about extreme heat and regulated shipping to FL.

Cinder9

Juvie Member
When i got my order of reptiworms in the mail today they were piping hot when i opened the box. Im suprised none of them were dead but they werent moving much so i cooled them down in the fridge and they were back to jumpin around like crazy. That was a close one.

trinity040400

Juvie Member
Man I have been trying to talk my mom into leting be get dubias instead of crickets, I didnt know you cant keep them in florida! Does any one know why it is illegal here?

ChiefsDaddy

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
I think they're illegal because they're not native to Florida. They would thrive down here and quickly become an invasive species. We have enough roaches down here I guess... lol.

Cinder9

Juvie Member
yea it all comes down to how well most roach species can live in a tropical/humid environment like ours. to them its paradise, to us its hell :twisted: lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom