Roaches

Status
Not open for further replies.

denise v

I'm looking for dubia roaches to try out on my frilled dragons. I just need a few to see if he'll eat them..... north fl.

Morpheus

I ordered some from this guy http://www.sunshinechameleons.com/feeders.htm he's located right in Melbourne, FL, He shipped me 1000 for $145. A lot of nice sized ones, he does ship in a standard usps box not labeled roaches or with any special packaging. you open the box and they're right there opened mine unprepared and almost had a big mess. have to say the fact that they where shipped that way is cool because it's discrete and as far as i know ur not suppose to have them in Florida because they're an invasive species, So Please take extra care to insure they don't get lose, We Here in Florida have enough problems with invasive species, Yes they are excellent feeders but if your going to start your own colony or even just get a few for your needs make sure that your top priority, if keeping Dubia in Florida is please Don't let them get lose.

denise v

Original Poster
Thanks for the info. When I was trying to find a good feeder other then crix it seem everyone said dubia, but to me they look like lobster roaches :study: (all roaches look the same to me :lol: ) I only want 20 to see if he'll eat them... very small order

Morpheus

how big is the dragon your feeding them 2, I currently have 10 in my care right now ranging from my littlest at 7" to my adults they all love them the reason i'm asking because My Adults will gobble 15 full size male dubia easily in a single sitting usually still hungry for more< sometimes i give more, sometimes crickets on top or a couple large hornworms for the adults

Morpheus

oops forgot you said for a frilled dragon anyways, the adult roaches are about the size of a Florida roach commonly referred as a palmetto bug, 20 won't go to far and for the price I'd breed my own, like i said i got a 1000 shipped for 145 and they where already producing, I got a dark sterilite like footlocker trunk http://www.sterilite.com/Category.html?Section=Storage&ProductCategory=34 like 15 bucks at walmart, I like these because They have 2 strong latches on each side plenty of room, and has place to attach a lock, I drilled 1/2" holes close together creating a grating of like 8" x 8' on each end , Then i used greenhouse screening and hot glued a big enough piece of screening inside of each end so that now i have a bunch of ventilation holes backed with the screen (I prefer drilling the holes then screening rather then cutting out a big piece and then just covering the one big hole, yes it takes longer but I found it offers better stability with my feeder boxes and i Can easily stack smaller boxes without fear of knocking the screening out, also i prefer the greenhouse screening compared to regular window screening because it's a finer mesh, it was designed for keeping out the little bugs, keeps them in great to, I have no idea where to buy it though, my neighbor builds greenhouses so i'm able to get what i need just from scrap pieces left over) Heat mat under one side, water crystals from here http://www.watercrystals.com/ real Cheap that way a pound of the cheaper shipped for under 20 Bucks makes like a year supply of cricket drink. My opinion you'd be better off just forking out for 500 to start with set it up like i said cricket flats on side of heat mat, just take the bulk of the males out as u see they're starting to accumulate and other to feed with, put them in something else to gut load for 2 or 3 days before feeding and that's it, your set up producing your own the only thing you should need to purchase is more water crystals when u start to run low, like i said i have 10 beardies at the moment and not one of them even hesitated the first time i fed them them dubia, they don't make all that noise, don't have the stench,or bad mortality rate of crickets, more nutritious and easier then crickets, truly a win win. I highly recommend them for anyone that isn't held-back with the whole squeamish factor of keeping and maintaining a roach colony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom