Hello Northern New York

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonlover3

Sub-Adult Member
I can't possibly be the only beardie keeper in this "Foothills to the Adirondacks" area. I'd love to chat with local keepers. I'm near Glens Falls.
Amanda

doe222

Juvie Member
i am from a little south west of you bout 4 hours, BUT i goto the adirondacks and lake placed every year :) im from rochester.

dragonlover3

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Hi,
I'm in Hudson Falls, it's not far from Lake George and Glens Falls. I love the Adirondacks and have been here all my life. We did camp, hike, all the stuff you do in the mountains. Lake Placid is gorgeous too.
I think it would be great to try to get a Reptile expo or show to come closer to my area. Well, specifically I'd love to have a Bearded Dragon expo, breeders and keepers and some of our beardies but I know it's probably to specific to draw many but I can wish....lol.
My husband and I are retired and have 4 beardies, all rescues. Talon, male, age unknown, and Moya, female, age unknown. I think they are about 12 to 14 months as they appeared to be juvies when we got them in August 2011. Both rescued from the same guy who severely neglected them. I also have 2 juvies about 5 or 6 months old. I got them from Nicole on the forum. Her user name here is HowlinGaleDragons....she rescued several dragons and adopted them out to members. She has a thread about the rescues and adoptions. I got # 5 and #8 in December 2011. Dargo, a male and Zhaan, a female.
We so much enjoy our dragons. How many dragons do you keep?....names?....sex?
It was nice hearing from you!
Amanda

dragongirl95

Juvie Member
im over by schenectady. less then 2 hours away
i have six bearded dragons. 3 females and 3 males , sunset , Mama,sahara are my female and desert,pancake, and tripod are my males

SamanthaP

Hudson Falls Here!!....New Beardie Owner. I just purchased a little ??guy?? 3 days ago as my Mothers day present!!(Yeah I pick my own presents out LOL, not need for the men to fret about what I want....I just tell them!!) I wish I had know there were people closer that I could have gotten my Beardie from. I saw a post on craigslist for the baby, and fell in love with the pic he sent me. Of course the pic wasn't of my guy (Typhon), but I still love him just the same. Some advice please.....I do have him temporarily in a 10 gallon. I do know this will NOT last but maybe a month. My husband is actually getting the supplies this weekend to build me a custom setup!! The first day I got him...I did make the mistake of feeding him meal worms.....NOPE won't do that again after reading here.....He ate one med cricket that night too and a super worm....had those from my sons Leopard Gecko....he ate alot the first night I got him home.....and did poop yesterday...Twice!!...quite a lot for a little guy!! After much research and looking here, I have decided to toss the mealworms, and got the stuff to keep crickets, and have even ordered some RepiWorms!! Ok here is my question...he hasn't eaten anthing else now for about 36hrs. He is just basking away....I went and got a 75w basking bulb, an yes I'm using the coil type Repi Glo 10. UVB bulb. Should I be concerned that he hasn't eaten anthing that has been offered in that amount of time. I'm spraying him twice a day for moisture, and after reading here, will give him a bath tonight too!!...The temps are 95 on the warm side and 75-80 on the cooler side(which he never goes to). All he does is bask on his plant all day, and when I come home from work he will hang with me for a bit, but last night he didn't hang out either, wanted to get down and explore....Just want to be sure i'm doing things right...I've read such confilcting things all over the internet, by head is swimming!!!

dragonlover3

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Hello SamanthaP,
Welcome, Welcome! :wave:
Awesome you are in Hudson Falls too! I'm sending a PM to you with my location. It's wonderful you got a beardie for mothers day. I can't think of a better gift :D
I'd replace the Repti Glo bulb. They've been known to cause eye and health problem in bearded dragons and all coil bulbs are known to cause problems for dragons.A better, recommended UVB bulb for bearded Dragons is either the ReptiSun 10.0 florescent tube or the Arcadia D3 12% florescent tube. I use the Reptisuns for all 4 of mine.
Since you just got him, he may be experiencing some relocation stress which is normal. He may have a poor appetite for up to a week or so.
Bearded dragons need low humidity. It's not necessary to mist or spray them as they don't absorb water thru their skin. If you spray him in his tank it raises the humidity risking respiratory infections. Some do mist their dragons but it's best to remove him from the tank to do it. Better is a bath as they absorb water thru their waste vent and they may drink from the moving water of a bath. Keepers bath their dragons anywhere from 2 times a week to daily. I guess it's choice. I bath all 4 of mine daily for about 10 minutes for hydration and they poo in the bath get rinsed and are clean for the day and have immaculate tanks, hardly ever poo in their tanks. No need for a water dish as they won't usually drink from standing water and again, with the heat and lights it raises the humidity. Many do put a water dish in with them, the choice is yours.
How big is your baby? I'd not feed him super worms til he's at least 16" long. Dragons have a natural kink in their intestines that straightens as they grow so it's safer to wait on the supers. Repti-worms are great!
It would help if you go over your set up so we can help you get your husbandry proper for him.
What substrate are you using?
What are you measuring temps with?
What are the 3 temps?.... basking surface....hot end....cool end?
A 75 watt basking bulb seems a large wattage for a 10 gallon tank, if it's to hot for him he will dehydrate, if to cool, he won't be able to digest properly and his immune system won't function as well as it should.Temps are critical.
Here is a link to a color coded, easy to follow list of nutritious veggies for your little one. Most here recommend and follow it. I do.http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
You will get lots of help and advice. I recommend you start a thread for your little one in the "Beardie Tales" section, you can write about your little guy and share with people who are as beardie crazy as we are :D We all enjoy reading about everyone's beardies and we learn from each other too!
There are some amazing experts, experienced keepers and moderators here who are willing and able to help and offer advice.
.....oh and we love photos.
PM sent! :D
Amanda

Pyxis

Hi guys! I'm 45 minutes away from glens falls, but I'm over there all the time because I work there! I just got my beardie, Drizzle, about a week ago. I'm already working on building her a crossfire. Neat to know there are so many people on here so close by.

SamanthaP

45 Mins away....Albany area? I actauly live in Hudson Falls!!...I"m pretty new too, but have learned sooooo much from here, and not Typhon is growing soooooooooooo fast!!

20120524_180328.jpg

20120524_180249.jpg

20120524_180237.jpg

Pyxis

He's adorable! My girl is shedding at the moment, so she's been prettier :lol: I actually live right on the Vermont border. It's really nice out here. I have twelve acres, a pond, and chickens and ducks that lay me fresh, organic, free range eggs daily! Love it out here :D As soon as Drizzle's harness arrives she gets to enjoy the fresh air with me!

brucieb13

I am living in Jefferson county not sure exactly how far away that is from everyone i am not originally from this area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom