Anyone been to NERD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DudleyDragon

Hatchling Member
Thinking about taking a trip up there in like two hours. I took it as your not allowed in the breeding facility but there's a pet store that you can go in that is facilitated with NERD. It is worth driving an hour to go to this pet store? Is it pretty cool? Right now its 11:26 so if you see this post in an hour, don't bother posting because I probably already left for the store. HaHA.

- Briana

DudleyDragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Pretty awesome. Haha. We're going back thursday for a tour of the breeding facility, but even the pet store was just phenomenal. They had tons and tons of animals, kinds you don't normally see everyday. A crazy reptile selection.

stiggy

Hey, Zoo Creatures (NERD) is a great store. I get my feeders there a lot. I live about 20 min away.

When I was around 12 (25 now) I volunteered at their original facility. Kevin, the owner, would buy lunch and I inturn would get to handle all kinds of animals all day while I cleaned out the various containers they were in. That's where I got my love for reptiles. I remember I used to water and pet a Gila monster they had before I knew what a Gila monster was or could do. Good thing he was friendly.

There was a giant green iguana, Vincent, that used to roam the place freely, he was really cool. Also a large Caimen, Wally, that would roam around occasionally. Wally and Vincent would tangle sometimes, I think that was Vincent's demise later on in the years. Wally is actually on display in the summer outside of the new facility. He's usually in one of the big cages on the lawn.

There was a huge open top bin full of beardies. I would always go back there and handle them. They would watch me come in, all heads would turn, then I'd pick one and hold it for a bit. There was probably 30 of them in one huge, open top viv. I always wanted a beardie since working there. The beardies would love me when I brought them pinkies.

In the basement was the serious stuff. Huge boa's and retics were kept down there. Sometimes large dead snakes were hanging from the rafters and getting skinned (Dead of natural causes, they didn't senselessy kill there). In the corner, blocked off was a large, angry, angry alligator (Maybe a caimen, can't remember). I think his name may have been Leo, not sure. But he would hiss and thrash in his water tub if you got near his area. Used to scare the crap outa me.

I could go on and on about that place, it was amazing. Sorry for the stroll down memory lane!

DudleyDragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Stiggy, thats really cool. I wish I lived closer so I could volunteer there! What kid wouldn't like that. Unfortunately I live about 45-60 minutes away :( It'd be a little inconvenient for me to go there a few times a week. Haha :D

DudleyDragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
If your gonna come from that far, book a tour ahead of time. Cause from what I hear, thats ten times cooler then the pet store. Not sure I'd drive all the way up from DC for the pet store. Haha. I just personally think thats way too much of a hall for a pet sore in my opinion.

tayliz3

Well, im getting a bearded dragon soon and i dont know what to name her? shes a year old. breeded from australia. loves the sun. Help!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

DudleyDragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
tayliz3":43578 said:
Well, im getting a bearded dragon soon and i dont know what to name her? shes a year old. breeded from australia. loves the sun. Help!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

start your own thread please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom