Worried about glass surfing

Status
Not open for further replies.

koebelm

Hi!
I've had my bearded dragon for about a year and a half, (she was 4-5 weeks old when I got her) and we've had some trouble with glass surfing in the past, but it was mostly with the changing of the season and some lighting changes that I think I sorted out and she stopped after a few weeks. This spring she started again and I assumed she was just reacting to the change in temperature and outside light, but I checked her temperatures just in case and everything seemed fine.

The problem is she has not stopped. She started surfing around mid-March and has continued almost every day nonstop since. Around a month ago I noticed she was digging, not scratching and made a lay box, it took her three days but she laid 20 eggs. I thought this would be the end of it and it was for maybe a week, but she has started again and I don't know what to do.

She gets fed worms every 2-3 days (everyday for 5 or so days after she laid eggs, we've gotten back on the usually schedule by now), and greens every day, and she has a water dish that I change at least once a day. Her basking temperature is always around 95 degrees, she has a hide on the cool side of her tank that gets down to around 75 and on top of it is around 80. She has a cave under her basking spot with a heat pad to keep it warm as well. I recently changed her UVB light to ZooMed Reptisun 10.0 UVB and her heat light is a 150W ZooMed bulb. She poops usually every other day, and gets a bath 3-4 times a week.

She starts clawing at the side of her tank usually around the time her lights come on, and she will just run and try to climb up her walls nonstop until around 7-8pm. She recently started standing on her hind legs and clawing at the mesh lid of her tank from the top of her hide, this really freaked me out because she scratched her chin on the lid while in her lay box doing the same thing. She moves her smaller hide around and throws food and water everywhere!

When I take her out of her enclosure she will either run and find a place to poop, or just stare at me for a while, run around a little bit, and start trying to climb the walls of the room she's in. She also has glass sticker-sheet things (?) on three of her four enclosure walls to try and prevent any reflection she might be reacting to, but she still tries to climb up them.

I really don't know what to do to make her feel better, and it is driving me crazy being so worried about her.
Any advice would be really appreciated!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Try the lay box again --- and what is the placement of the UVB -- top of screen or inside the tank - what is the screen type -- fine mesh or a wide hole type ?

koebelm

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2knk7v0u said:
Try the lay box again --- and what is the placement of the UVB -- top of screen or inside the tank - what is the screen type -- fine mesh or a wide hole type ?

I found an egg in her enclosure this morning so she's back in the lay box. Hopefully that'll help. The UVB is on top of the lid, I believe its the wide hole type.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Ok as long as the screen is wide hole it can stay there but distance needs to be 8-10 inches directly above the basking decor- if in doubt about the screen please post a pic of it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom